The truth about PRE-RENDERING 0?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Tastic, Jul 16, 2012.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060

something changed in win10 1809 im pretty sure, theres a lot of topics on this online and forums about 1809 exclusive fullscreen acting weird sometimes/some games/in general, I had a really hard time getting rid of it, just ticking disable fullscreen optimizations did not work had to change several other values in registry and add some lines aswell if I remember correctly to fix it, might depend on the game also, even now im not sure its true exclusive fullscreen mode, even if I cant alt tab fast and I dont see start menu or overlay when pressing windows key inside a fullscreen game..

easy check if you have fullscreen optimizations = press windows key/start on keyboard when inside a game in fullscreen mode, if start menu comes up then you are not in exclusive fullscreen, atleast from what I know I might be wrong,

For me it took some tweaking to not have start menu appear when pressing start in games, but still, I think its not same exclusive fullscreen as in previous windows builds, in most cases there should be no stutter or performance issues anyway, for me works fine now but if you have problems in game maybe I can check my registry settings if you want to copy them to get rid of overlay/start menu showing up in games etc,

:S

2. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Yeah I understand ... well in most of my games even I when select "Fullscreen" in game I get instant alt+tab and start menu so like you said its the "new fullscreen mode" that isn't actually exclusive fullscreen. I don't have any problems but sometimes I feel that GSYNC is not working because of this new fullscreen mode. I get some tearing and I dont want to enable VSYNC with GSYNC ... I prefer capping max fps with RTSS at -3 monitor refresh rate and hope the fullscreen is working ...

I could also enbale GSYNC for fullscreen and window mode but not sure if its a good idea ...

Well not sure what to do next :D

alexander1986 likes this.
  3. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060

yep, your refreshrate minus 3 fps as frame limit with gsync on should be all u need for correct gsync as far as I know, I think gsync on+vsync on will have same result, as long as you have refreshrate -3 fps as framelimit gsync will take priority over normal vsync, on blurbusters gsync test they use gsync on+vsync on+ minus 3 fps as framelimit and its same as just gsync on what I can see, actually they used only minus 2 fps but the normal recommendation now is minus 3 fps to be on safe side from reaching the gsync ceiling:

[​IMG]

ingame frame limiter is best if you can set custom, if cant set custom fps limit in game, then do it with RTSS, but with RTSS there is a from a half to 1 frame of extra lag, not much but still,
    but the frametimes will be perfect with RTSS so that is perhaps worth the small input lag penalty,

but anyway ! I took a look at my registry to see what I changed to make start menu not show when im in fullscreen game and press start key,

maybe this is not all I did but you can try copy this settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If some value or entry is missing in your registry just add it and edit the value to like in my pictures, also reboot after changes and try again to see if start menu shows up in fullscreen game when press start key, if not then maybe its fixed and will feel better,

also I removed all xbox apps from win10 with powershell and all gamedvr stuff :D

but still, im 99% sure from win 1809+ there is no longer the real exclusive fullscreen mode, but it still feels better like this for me, IDK :D

good luck and let me know if this helps!

PS you could also try what you said enable gsync in fullscreen+windowed mode, see if any difference, but still interesting to know if my registry settings makes it so start menu does not appear in fullscreen game!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    I do it the following: Right click the game .exe, compatibility, check "disable fullscreen optimization"

5. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    are u on win10 1809 btw? it does not work 100% of the time for every game in win 10 1809 version, you can see it didnt work for @bernek in his post above and same for me in fortnite, ticking disable fullscreen optimizations on win 1809 does not give exclusive fullscreen for me in this game,

there are many users that report the same problem if googling this issue in win10 1809, but maybe it also depends on the game, IDK
    anyway for me to fix I had to edit registry further (posted screenshots above with the settings I think fixed the problem) and also completely disable all gamebar/gamedvr/xbox stuff, one of those things fixed it lol,

but in theory should be same performance or even better with fullscreen optimizations according to microsoft, reality can be different :D

if I run win10 1607 for example I can get true exclusive fullscreen and slightly better frametimes/min fps but its small difference and not worth downgrade for other reasons imo...

6. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    yeah not worth downgrading but getting rid of useless telemetry and game bar and game dvr it is ! :)

I'm not encountering any specific issues but sometimes g-sync fails to deliver for me at least is what I "feel" ...

I just honestly wish we have a "Gaming OS" version of W10 with all crap turned off just to be enough to play games. But even with this gaming edition Microsoft will leave some "neat" features like Game DVR on so the pain is still there ...

I only game on this particular PC and I was thinking in the past to roll back to a version of Windows that is stripped and to disable all Spectre and Meltdown patches from BIOS (installing older versions before these vulnerabilities were discovered or patched) and to use the appropriate Windows version just to game.

I have a dual boot in this system and I use hackintosh for any work that I do. W10 is purely gaming.

7. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060

did you fix the startmenu showing up in fullscreen game btw? I posted reply if you check above with my registry screenshots and its different from yours :p if you want to try I mean, for me there is no startmenu showing up in fullscreen games when I press start key after these changes anyway! (but still, probably not true exclusive fullscreen like old windows builds lol)

also you can disable software level spectre/meltdown patch with "inspectre" freeware tool+reboot, it gave me like ~ 30 minimum fps boost on my old pc which was i5-3470 and 2x4gb ddr1333 ram :D

on new hardware its probably no difference or minimal though..

8. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I did use inspectre in the past with no discernible effects in gaming performance ... an old i5 surely but with modern CPUs not the case ... (AMD not being vulnerable only to 1 type of attacks).

I did add only 1 missing line from your reg tweaks and yes the start doesn't show up anymore so its some kind of fullscreen mode not sure what it is but at least no more OSDs and start popping out ... it also depends on game I think since some say fullscreen exclusive and maybe its not ... maybe some Origin titles not sure :)

9. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    nice! I believe this is as close as we will get to exclusive fullscreen on 1809 lol, atleast for these games that maybe dont force it on their own somehow..

it was GameDVR_FSEBehavior "2" I guess that did it and you had to add it manual? good to know if it was this line so I remember for future and maybe if someone else need help with this :D

gg microsoft !

ah well, GL with your testing :)

Also in origin there is always the old trick to disable origin in-game overlay in origin settings , but this was like a trick in 2014 I remember, I think they patched to now the bugs it had with some fullscreen games with it enabled x)

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It's not that the RTSS interface is limited to 2 decimals, it's limited to 5 numerals. :)

11. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    yes, and no I guess :p

it can show 6 numbers + underscore, maybe even 7 numbers I never tried ,but can not modify from interface with values over 5 numerals it seems?

[​IMG]

sorry for nitpicking lol :D

12. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Yep that was the line :) the only difference towards my configuration. I guess it tells it to default to that option for any games you start. Not sure really but it works most of the times.

I depends a lot on the way full screen is handled or implemented by the game.

I'm sorry for rambling about my "Game Edition W10" rambling but it should be made ... Microsoft could just tweak W10 64 bit towards gaming oriented consumers and ship with a new UI and some game stuff added it will sell like crazy. I think a big proportion of W10 installs are on gaming computers and if you tell those people you get extra 5% gaming performance they will do it :D

13. plopingo

plopingo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 PNY XLR8
    I don't know what to say the result is just insane !! I'm using this with vsync (triple buffered mode in apex legend) it's smooth, no tearing. gsync & freesync seems useless to me now !!
    (monitor used Samsung CF24FG73)

thanks for the help ;)

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Gsync would be useless to just about anyone if they could keep 144 FPS solid in every game they played. :rolleyes:

15. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I would like to try capping my fps but I am getting variable results from both the web based detection sites, they both oscillate a lot.
    CRU reports that my screen has a frequency of 59.996 is it accurate?

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah that's accurate. Most 60 hz displays are actually 59.9 hz. My understanding is that it's a holdover from analog TV broadcast, believe it or not.

17. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @Tastic I'll add to this that what I've found is that with a value of "1" (the minimum available), many games begin to exhibit "hitching" or what appears to be "frame skipping". @CrunchyBiscuit commented on this over in this thread as well where our experiences appear to line up: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/s...-in-games-like-overwatch.427557/#post-5690298

For myself, this is on a high end system (8700K/1080 Ti + G-Sync) and occurred in several games I tested (Witcher 3 /Crysis 3 / Overwatch / Far Cry 5).

In my tests, when using a value of "1" for the max prerendered frames setting, to avoid this "hitching" / "frame skipping" behavior one must cap their fps to what is almost always achievable -- even then, if I do dip beneath that target, I often get hitching (the fps graph seems to drop to 0 then return to normal).

As I've experienced it then, one either has to use 1 mprf in conjunction with an fps cap OR set this to a higher value to avoid hitching/frame skipping or whatever issue there that occurs.

A big pet peeve of mine is that a ton of games out there "freeze" completely for a split second upon reaching a checkpoint/save point for example and that I'm not certain can be resolved by upping the mprf value since that behavior specifically may be tied to the game itself (or its antipiracy measures perhaps -- perhaps they do checks on save or some such there, not sure -- I know for a fact that's the case in Far Cry 5 -- have tested both the paid uplay version that I own as well as the cracked version and the cracked version does not exhibit the horrendous hitching/stutter problems that the paid version does on my system -- based on this, I assume that perhaps at least some other games out there work that way as well much to my dismay but I digress...).

What's unfortunate about all of this is that I find that even at very high framerates, the input lag difference for MPRF is noticeable. If AMD's new "Low Lag" feature for their new cards is some sort of "Dynamic" flip queue size, then I'm likely to swap over over to team red lol.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If that's with g-sync, then forcing vsync OFF helps with that.

19. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @RealNC Thanks, could you clarify what you mean there? I am using G-Sync where my setup is:

1) G-Sync enabled for Full Screen and Windowed mode
    2) Control Panel V-Sync set to ON
    3) In-game V-Sync set to OFF

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that turning OFF V-Sync completely in the control panel and in-game helps with that "Checkpoint/Save point" in-game "Freezing" that can often occur?

I'd thought that in-game OFF for V-Sync with in-control-panel V-Sync ON was previously the recommended setup since it added in "Frame-Time-Compensation" or something and prevented the tearing that could still occur with G-Sync. That information could be out of date though or I could just be wrong.

If you could elaborate a bit, that would really help me out -- thanks for your comment, that's helpful -- in any case I'll try our what you're recommending.

I did notice that even with G-Sync enabled, if you force V-Sync to OFF in the nvidia control panel, G-Sync breaks entirely for the Sekiro so the only option there (with G-sync) as I understand it is basically "app controlled" or ON if one wants G-Sync to work (or use Windowed mode).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @StephenEnzor

Yes, the guides recommend vsync ON in NVCP, but I now actually recommend setting it to OFF due to the stutter issue with games that have these short freezes. With vsync ON + g-sync, these freezes are worse.

Now I only recommend vsync ON if you happen to play a game where you can see tearing with g-sync.

I don't know why g-sync wouldn't work correctly with vsync OFF though. I don't have that issue. If I cap my FPS, g-sync works fine with vsync OFF.

BlindBison likes this.