The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would first try replacing TIM and check again temperatures if this does help, I would thought so this would help a bit, depending on TIM used

Few guys tried as well replacing thermal pads which can help as well but not sure if this helps in yours case, I replaced thermal pads twice on friend build which this helped a bit with better temperatures and OC but not as much as I thought so

If you power limited then yes BIOS with higher power limit will definitely help you hold the clocks in games where are you hitting power limit, if its helps with better OC, maybe yes,but this higher power limit didn't helped me with better OC only I can sustain higher clocks in games or benchmarks etc

Over on Techpowerup you can check every BIOS what power limit have, I think 380-400W is probably best BIOS for gaming and benchmarks, with Galax 380W BIOS I never hit power limit, with Asus RTX 2080Ti Matrix BIOS this I have seen in few games like Control or older games and I play in 3440x1440 Ultrawide

Just double check what XUSB FW you have on yours MSI RTX 2080Ti Gaming because what I remember few people have issues with flashing BIOS because there has been different XUSB FW, not sure if tgis would be case but double check that, never run to any issues with flashing BIOS on my GPUs

Usually with higher power limit BIOS you will have stable clocks or will hold clocks for bit longer in games or benchmarks etc, this is biggest benefit of higher power limit BIOS

Regarding the airflow, you can try compare fans but don't think stock Fractal Design fans would outperform Noctua, Fractal Design fans are not the best, they're quiet but that's it there

Regarding the undervolt GPU, this I only done few times but usually when I do rendering but usually I leave like is it because my temperatures and clocks are good

@serbicu

Sorry to hear about your GPU mate, something similar happened to me, bought three Palit RTX 2080Ti for customer builds and all three failed(as in yours case space invaders), all of them Amazon replaced and tried all of them how they OC, hopefully they will last lot longer, if they fails then I will be asking for refund and get different ones

Zotac are not bad just they don't OC a lot, MSI similarly,they're usually OC similarly to Zotac, have few friends with Gigabyte RTX 2080Ti Aorus and they usually OC pretty good there, my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix OC pretty good and which one I would choose, probably Gigabyte there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim

Hei Jura, so you would go with Gigabyte huh? never had any of their GPUs. From the list below, I have 2 options, the Aorus or the Aorus Xtreme. Which you you recommend? And btw, how's the quality from Gigabyte ?

I am not planning in OC the next 2080ti since I think that, for this particular GPU, even a tiny OC will damage the card in some way or another. Read that a lot of peoples cards died within 5 to 6 months of purchase.

Here's what I can buy from the shop: https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/GeForce+RTX+fuer+Gaming/RTX+2080+Ti.html

I was thinking getting that Inno3D Ichill, read some reviews about it, and looks pretty solid, and can easy stay between 1930-1995 without OC. I know also that with these RTX cards it's more of a lottery nowadays, and no card it's future proof. I really miss those days when you bought a GPU, and no matter how much you "thrash it", that card was still going strong :D .

Like Netherwind said, I just want to play games, and not worry about other things lol, and I am not into tweaking anymore, as I have other priorities ,and my time for gaming is well planned in my schedule, and limited as it is.

The older I get, I envy somehow the console gamers, as they just start the console, play, and then go about their business lol. But....the 20+ years love affair that I keep having with PC gaming is too strong for me to bail out at this point..I'm doomed in that regard lol :D I can only see the face of my Wife everytime she sees me playing PC games lol.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've got some Kryonaut so I'll try that first. It's supposed to be so great and I bought a 1g but I sure like my Arctic Silver 5. Way easier to spread since it's more compact.

Yea, I was actually looking at thermal pads in my local shop since I though about that too, especially if they break when I remove the cooler.

MSI has one unofficial 400W Gaming X Trio BIOS from Russian Customer Service which I perhaps could try.

What does XUSB FW mean?

You misunderstood, I wrote that I've got Noctua fans in all fan slots at the moment :) Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 to be exact.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I used 2* Gigabyte GTX1080Ti Aorus Extreme in SLI previously on friend build and must admit these cards OC pretty good, both have been stable with 2100MHz and never have issues with them, friend still running them

I think Gigabyte have 4 years warranty which is good, build quality is good, they always have most overkill or rather overbuilt PCB similarly I would say have Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix have similarly best PCB

I'm just disappointed by new RTX 2080Ti Aorus Extreme temperatures, I just thought so it will have good temperatures by looks like it have higher temperatures because their heatsink use Axial fans, spoke with friend and he have Aorus Extreme and his temperatures are in 70's and fans are very loud above 80%

Inno3D iChill does look like great card, 240mm radiator does help with better temperatures, 120mm is just enough for RTX 2080Ti, I would expect something like mid 50's to low 60's with 240mm radiator, just what bothers me I never owned anything from Inno3D, don't know warranty and quality from Inno3D, its for me unknown there

Silicon lottery plays big role in OC and too if its with Samsung or Micron memories, personally I'd get with Samsung memories there

Which GPU get, Inno3D iChill does look like great GPU on paper and should have good temperatures with 240mm radiators

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I usually use like Noctua NT-H1 abd Kryonaut on GPUs, with both have good experience, Kryonaut have used like on my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix and no issues, although lately I started to use Thermalright TFX on GPUs and CPU, seems is bit better than Kryonaut

I would give a try this 400W BIOS,wish something similar is for Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix too, 400W would be just perfect BIOS for me

I don't think you will have issues with XUSB as you are never updated BIOS, newer XUSB firmware is not compatible with older XUSB and if you are try update BIOS or flash different BIOS you will get error in Nvflash,this shouldn't concern you there

If you will have issues with this, just check few threads over on OCN

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim

Ok, thx Jura for your input on this, will make a decision pretty soon, then will see what card I will get :D

Man, I keep looking at that empty space in my case! What a sad view ! lol

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    120mm AIO works fine for my founders edition. I bought the EVGA kit a few months back and it lowered my temps from 75C under load to 48-50C. Running 3DMark stress test it got up to 52C but I've never seen it that high while gaming. I don't have the most aggressive overclock on mine but I was mainly concerned with the fan noise from the stock cooler. I imagine it's much easier to install on a 3rd party card though. The FE had like 40 screws to take the thing apart.

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Felt how hot it gets where the pipes connect to the radiator during gaming?

9. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    In a few hours the postman will deliver the ( Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 11GB, Wind ) but i want some info about it but can not find any reviews ore videos about it .

1150 euro In Holland The Netherlands

10. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Bit risky I would check first the reviews and then make a choice and buy fyi

ps WINDFORCE = 3X Cooling System with alternate spinning fans

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019

11. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    It just got delivered so PC is going to shut down and i will be back soon :)
    OMG OMG Cant wait to start Control on 1440p Max :)

Maddness and endbase like this.
  12. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Happy gaming man :)

13. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Thanks
    Control is running fine the 2080 TI is great .
    I did set a fan curve in MSI Afterburner i like it cool :)
    I do not like to overclock because this is fast inn of

Fire strike extreme : 8577
    That must be fine ?

14. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    If your temps are good, go for an OC and push it :) That alone is pretty fun when getting a new card to see its absolute limitations.

15. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim

Congrats! enjoy max settings man! I still have to replace my late Palit card, but have to wait until I'll be back from vacation :D

16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    what happened to it?

edit: nvm just read, that happened to my original palit card, pretty much burnt out, the replacement is going strong under water since new though. No issues at all.

17. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Still on vacation, so when back I'm going to make my choice, from the brands that I can choose from :D

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hey Gurus, long story short I just bought an MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio new in box from a friend who was going to use it for mining. Does anybody here have experience with this model regarding temps, clocks, noise, fan curves, OCing and flashing?

I'm okay with a moderate amount of noise and I plan on making a custom fan curve after flashing the 406W BIOS. Looking for max OC on air without hitting power limits.

Lastly, regarding BIOS flashing, since this card seems to lack dual BIOS I am slightly worried. If the flash goes wrong, would I be able to flash the 2080Ti in DOS if I put it in my PCIe slot 2 with a GT 1030 in PCIe slot 1 for video output? Thanks!

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've had one Gaming Trio and now my Gaming X Trio so far and here are my experiences with the card.

Temps : At the beginning they were good, the cooler is huge and can dissipate a lot of heat.
    Clocks : I've hit the bottom of the silicone lottery on both cards so right now I'm at 1920 Max Boost which is way lower than most. This has nothing to do with the card though, it's the chip that's crap.
    Noise : The fans are really quiet up to 50% when I start hearing a soft woosh which gets louder at 55% and bearable up to 60% but beyond that it's too much, at least for me.
    Fan curve : The fan curve is ridiculously conservative so personally I had to change it to make it a bit more aggressive (since I OC).
    OC : OC doesn't have anything to do with the card but more the software you use and like I said before, it's chip specific not brand specific. The only benefit you get is that the chip is OC rated so it will perform better than the worst chips out there.
    Flashing : Haven't tried it but I guess it's no different than any other card. I also miss dual BIOS and think it would make the decision much easier. Power Limit is a huge issue and the 110% rating is way too low.

My card has gotten hotter and hotter these past weeks so maybe you'll have to change paste sooner or later as I'll probably have to do. Not sure if it's degradation or something (I used to be able to sustain higher clocks) but there's been talk about it somewhere on this forum.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  20. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    warranty long gone if you change the paste.