The next catalyst release driver?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rock1m1, Sep 22, 2014.

1. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    Hey everyone, I have R9 290 here and I have tried all the recent catalyst drivers. For me 14.4 seems to be the most stable while the recent 14.7 RC3 is giving me some problems like black screen sometimes when launching Google chrome or randomly when starting the computer. Yes, I do a thorough clean driver installations.

Anyone know when is the next driver, will it be a beta or official? I feel like this release is taking much longer, any idea why? Also saw the 14.8 version over here, I don't feel comfortable of trying it until AMD officially releases it.

Thanks

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm using the 14.8 semi-"WHQL" or what to call them (The APU drivers that conveniently included the desktop GPU models in the inf files.) and I haven't noticed any major issues although from what I've read some games still have that D3D9 issue with broken meshes, State of Decay for example.
    (I also have hardware acceleration off for Flash but for all I know that BSOD problem on certain configurations might have been fixed now.)

3. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    There are no significant gains outside of the games mentioned in the release notes for the betas and most of them were only for crossfire configurations. I am personally sticking with the 14.4 driver as it has been rock solid for me.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same here, 14.4 are the last stable drivers for me and give great performance

tried all the releases and betas since them and they all cause problems

5. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Hello rock1m1,

We'll let you and everyone else know as soon as it’s ready, thank you for the question.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im still rocking the 13.12 WHQLs :D

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You're still on Win 7 aren't you ?

Wonder if it's that stopping you getting at least up to 14.4

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup on 7, i can use later drivers, just havn't finished off Last Light yet (really need to, not played it for ages, or anything else tbh :p) and it doesn't like the newer drivers, seems to quick pause every now and again, other games are fine on ther later ones though.

I may be going with 2x 970s now though. :eek: :p

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :eek: nice :D

Yea I'm definitely seriously certainly considering nVidia for my next big GPU upgrade, wasn't impressed with my last GTX760, but do miss PhysX and will be going with a high end card this time

Not be for a while I doubt, Oculus Rift is next on my list of goodies

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    So AMDMatt im guessing your the same Matt from overclockers.co.uk? and ive read there that your now working for AMD doing there facebook/twitter/forums bigging up ect ect,if so might want to add that to your forum sig or get a mod to add something to your avatar so we know your a voice for AMD and not just some random guy

So if the above is true & you have an offical link to AMD can i ask if AMD have any plans to now officially support Downsampling seeing as Nv have just added it (and renamed it DSR) to there 970/980 range (i hear backwards compatibility for other Nv chipsets/cards is coming soon/next beta)

The downsampling support question has been asked a number of times across a number of forums but every AMD rep i seen in those threads always posts a canned comment along the lines of " Unfortunately we don't have any plans to support custom resolutions feature in CCC at this time."

If you have support coming then great i'll hang around & keep my 7970 for a while longer but if not you can let the higher ups know that its a feature that's missing and it is going to start costing them sales if they cant/wont add support for it.

Cheers
    Gizmo

11. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    I guess they don't really have a choice now because they have to implement it to remain competitive from a software standpoint. Gotta kick their asses into action I suppose.

12. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    I personally hope for a first party level implementation of Game recording features, the Raptr app, while is okay, not near the level of Shadowplay and doesn't work properly in a lot of games. Hoping AMD embeds them in their catalyst.

13. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    for a good driver maybe wait 1 year

14. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm still on the 13.12's and am on Win 8.1 None of the later releases have netted me anything other than the return of an annoying cursor bug. No positive gains in gaming or anything else though so no reason to update to this point. I am going to upgrade my card soon though so maybe my experience with the newer drivers will be different after that.

15. Cybermax

Cybermax Guest

13.12 here aswell (and 8.1). Using R9 270x, and the 14.xx series still dont work that well with Mantle for my card, so no real benefit in upgrading. Had some weird bsods with flash videos before and the 14.4 WHQL, so gonna wait for the "real" 14.8 WHQL that works with my card (The APU whatever driver did not detect my 270x)

C

16. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Hi Gizmo,

Yes that's me. I'm the community manager for AMD for the UK region.

I'm afraid i cannot comment on possible future software features regarding our catalyst software suite. However, I have taken note of your request for downsampling and will pass your important feedback on to my team.

Thank you.

17. Bose321

Bose321 Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 w. AC III heatsink
    > AMD
    > Good driver

18. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I've been using the 14.8's without issue. The 14.30 drivers didn't work for me, BSODs and system hangs all the way.

19. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Thanks Matt :) & while i understand that you can not comment you might also want to let the higher up's know that there continued silence on this feature is going to end up costing them market share now that Nv has stepped up to the plate.

If you guys had added official support for this feature an age ago when users started requesting it you could have gotten the drop on Nv and looked like you were leading,but now (if/when you add support) you'll just look like your playing catch up.....will await your announcement on the 25th but atm it looks like i'll be replacing my 7970 with a 970 come payday at the end of the month.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    https://www.sapphireforum.com/showthread.php?33437-R9-290-Black-Screen-Fix