Steam Summer Sale 2020

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Repo Man, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    When: 25/06/2020 - 09/07/2020
    Time: 9.55am pacific time, 12.55pm eastern time and 5.55pm BST
    Where: On that Steam thingy on the internet

Okay then boys and girls, its that time again! Dust off your parents credit cards, sell the other half and kids, get your beers ready and buy all those games you'll probably never end up playing but bought anyway because cheap!

Personally looking forward to a discount on RDR2 as I really want to try it out now that the dust has settled and the game's hopefully seen some fixes and such. Just debating on whether to get the standard version, special or ultimate edition.

Might consider MK11 too as I haven't played any of the modern MK games and they look pretty fun. Also fancy buying Stellaris as I like me a good Sci-Fi game.

Solfaur and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Save your money and get the RDR2 standard version. In SP the bonus stuff doesn't really matter and MP is much more fun starting from scratch because now that i have everything it has become boring. First thing you do: go into passive mode, become a collector, look up dynamic treasure positions on various sites ( https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/ ) and enjoy the view while exploring the west.

GarrettL and Repo Man like this.
  3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Thanks man! It does look like a lot of the stuff is just online fluff and I'm not really intending to play online, though I'm sure I'll try it at some stage. Only reason I'm even consider the other editions is because on another site which is in a bit of grey area, I can get the special edition for extra £3 and for a further £4 I can get the ultimate edition.

However, going for the standard edition would save me at least £7 which I can then use for 5 cans of cider and a peperami which makes infinitely more sense in my head!

4. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I can only tell you how my perspective is: i was superhyped for this game (like i was with GTA V) but now that i'm through the whole thing i'm a bit sorry for the extra money i spent on the ultimate edition. Standard would've been totally fine.

BTW: i'm more of a SP guy so what i'm doing is i use the MP freeroam as a form of SP as well. I don't interact with other players and when you're passive 99% of other ppl will leave you alone. I had only 2 bad situations in months of playing online, it's really awesome and lots of fun while it lasts.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I didn't play much Red Dead Online but the single player, that was an awesome experience! As for the Steam sale, man I've got so many games I need to catch up on I don't think I'll be buying much this time around. I say that now, but I'm sure something will pop up.

6. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I was on chapter 5 or 6 of RDR2 and a crash from a memory overclock wiped the data on six of my drives. I tried to recover but it wouldn't recognise the save file. I had so much stuff completed, I can't bring my self to go back to it just now.

cerebus23 likes this.
  7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Seriously doubt there will be anything worth getting.
    The sales have lost their luster over the years, and each year... there's less and less worth bothering with.

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Since I moved my account to Argentina store I expect big savings this year for me :)

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Starts the 27th actually because the servers will be overloaded for 2 days.

That said, i got some stuff on my list.

DUSK
    Blood: Fresh Supply
    Homeworld (the land desert thingy)
    Wrath (maybe, if i can quicksave everywhere)

The rest i can't remember.

MaCk0y likes this.
  10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I actually managed to clear my entire steam backlog during the pandemic (still have Borderlands 3 and Outer Worlds, but those are on on EGS from my 3900x coupons...) so this is the first time in years I actually look forward to the summer sales, as I do have a number of games on my wishlist. Bring it on Gaben! :)

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The game uses a "Soul Tether" save system.
    You pick up Soul Tether's in the levels, and then can save (F2) and load (F3) whenever you wish.

The limit on the amount of Soul Tether's you can carry is 999. And, there are plenty scattered throughout the levels.
    They function like a "quick save", but it is one you have to collect while playing.

Plus, there are Shrine's in each level that will save your game, and refill your health. A long with a few checkpoints.

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Shamefully checking back through my steam account, 2014 seems to be the last time i really splashed out on the summer steam sales, 42 games and all their DLC bought just during the summer sale of that year, with another 57 spread over the year, but steam only goes back to 2010 so i can't see what i bought from 2003 to 2010. but maybe that is a good thing. lol

AsiJu and Repo Man like this.
  13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Just as I suspected, most of the games I wanted, I can get better deals elsewhere. Will continue to browse though.

14. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    some nice deals. will pick up A Plague Tale: Innocence for now.

jbscotchman likes this.
  15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Seems DUSK and Blood are still only 33% and 40% off, that's not good enough.

Getting:

Portal - 80% off
    Portal 2 - 80% off
    Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - 90% off

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    As always it's super laggy at launch, will check it out tomorrow morning.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So true. In the beginning the sales were very good and i bought most of my games on them. Now it´s like a giant pile of junk where we need to be extremely lucky to find a good deal...

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I still believe once they did away with daily special sales and flash sales, the events overall lost a lot of their appeal.
    Before it was worth keeping an eye on, that game you might be looking at could get a special/flash sale at some point.

Now...
    The price at the beginning of the sale is the price the whole sale. And Steam are trying, they try to make up for it with their games/events each sale. But those don't interest me at all.
    I have no desire to collect cards or level up my Steam profile.

Repo Man, MaCk0y and cerebus23 like this.
  19. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    You can say that again buddy, I don't even understand what the whole card collecting thing is meant to be about. I once tried to google it and came to the conclusion that figuring out how to rewire my oven is easier!

Here's my gripe with modern Steam, there's a lot of base games going cheap or cheap'ish but in order to get the fully realised experience, they ( the devs ) expect you to buy the DLC and next thing you know you're looking at $/£/€ 80+ if you want to own everything. I was just looking at Stellaris, one of the games I mentioned on my initial post and that thing has tons of DLC now, this appears to plague the RTS and 4X genre heavily at the moment. With MK11 I can get the "Aftermath Kollection" which has the base game + a good chunk of DLC elsewhere for almost £15 less than what Steam has it on sale at the moment.

I realise that at the end of the day the publishers will have some say on what games go on sale and for how much but they appear to have tapped into the whole "omg steam sale is on!" thing now as in the past a lot of people used to wait for these sales and get good bargains. Now we get not a lot tbh as the publishers caught on with the practice so the "deep sales" are gone unless you fancy waiting years upon years.

I know a lot of people here have an axe to grind about EGS and I'm not trying to start another debate on the matter as there was already a lengthy thread on it but I do hope they will bring in some much needed competition to the market because the consumers will generally benefit the most... while the devs probably get shafted the most.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Finally picked up Mr Friend Pedro for $11.99, looks like a fun game.