Speculation on High End gaming cards in the short term

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pmt411, Mar 1, 2013.

1. pmt411

pmt411 Active Member

GPU:
    Twin SC Evga Titans
    I have made the determination that I will wait on the 780 gtx rather than pay though the nose for SLI Titan. I think the Titan is a great card, but I do not wish to help raise the financial cost of future gaming cards by overpaying for the Titan and further encouraging Nvidia and Amd to rip us, the little guys, off!! I am also reluctant to spend 2k for SLI Titan only to see Maxwell in about a year arrive and render Titan (and my 2k investment) middle of the road at best. However I badly wish to upgrade now and in the very near short term until I acquire SLI Maxwell next year. I still feel that there may be a chance of the 780 gtx with a 15-30% improvement over the 680 gtx arriving in the March-May time frame for the following reasons. Orginally, all the rumors were that the 780 gtx would arrive in the March-May time frame and it still may if rumors of a new Radeon 7990 which is more powerful than the Aus Ares are true. Some sources say the new 7990s launch is near at hand. A launch of a 7990 which could challenge or defeat the Titan might prompt Nvidia to keep to its original timeline for the launch of the 780 gtx. Additionally, how long would Nividia elect to wait before launching the 780gtx if Maxwell is only a year out.?? If the 780gtx is launched in the next 60 days, I would SLI it for my system and replace it next year with Maxwell. Such a short upgrade cycle would be expensive but tolerable and not nearly as painful as seeing twin Titans drop in value from 2k to maybe 800-900 dollars in a year. Does anyone else have any insight, information, or specualtion as to when the 780 gtx is likely to surface??? A final word which is a disclaimer, should I learn the 780 gtx isnt going to be launched until much later, I would likely acquire twin Titans anyway and await Maxwell. I can afford the Titans, its just I dont like to help Nvidia and Amd to rip us off and fell that a single GPU card should never cost much more than 600 dollars. Top end GPU cards should be readily obtainable for all gamers and not just for the more well heeled gamers as they are after all, gaming cards and not CRAY supercomputers! Ok, I am through venting now, thanks and I welcome any input or insight the board may have on this matter.

2. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    I would DUCK if I were you mate.

Fanboy fire and brimstone incoming..

I however for SURE agree with some of what you say.

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The 7990 has been around for some time already so if AMD release anything, it wont be called 7990.

Also AMD has repeatedly said no 8000 series this year and even no further 7000 releases:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Sea-Islands-Radeon-GPU,21136.html

It has been speculated that Nvidia developed Titan in response to an AMD release that is now not happening. So Nvidia without competition, feel like they can charge what they want - this is the simple ecenomics that Turnip fails to understand.

The general concencus is no further GPU releases this year from Nvidia or AMD. Things can change but that's how it's looking now.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    I don't fail to understand it in the slightest

Seems you fail to understand a consensus (or it's spelling) though.

This answers allot of questions regarding some of your other posts.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Because you have nothing intelligent to say on the subject, you resort to this kind of bitching, it's quite pathetic, especially as you are no better.

Now go look up the definition of allot.

6. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    About the delay of 700-series rumors. If the 700-series doesn't launch in Q2 and is postponed to Q4, it would mean that maxwell propably will launch late in 2014, or perhaps even in 2015! I hope not. But it's possible.

If AMD doesn't launch 8000-series anytime soon either, then NVIDIA would have no reason to launch 700-series aswell. (bad joke incomming) So we'll be stuck with hardware that doesn't run crysis 3 :nerd:

I want to upgrade aswell, I can afford the titan but I know i'm better served (imo) with the next gen.

Also the titan would still be worth a lot of penny if you decide to get them now and sell them later, they're one hell of a card and will serve you good, while you wait for the next gen. ;)

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    paragraphs, pleeeeeaaase.

8. zais

zais Guest

GPU:
    titan, voltage adaptor, usb ports & tegra cpu (ddr3 & ssd) = pc :)

9. jmikkelson

jmikkelson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I speculate they are concentrating on the new consoles right now. So any new development is probably going that way.

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

+1 lol. :D

Mr Terry and southampton, geez you guys are so funny.. Just cut the crap and be friendly with each other. :eatme2: :D :eek:rder:

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    stop trolling the titan threads.