So where are the 120hz led monitors?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BaDmOfO, Jan 1, 2011.

1. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 liquid
    I've been waiting, and waiting, and well you've guessed it, waiting.. impatiently I might add. :bang:

It's time to upgrade my monitor, a samsung 226bw, but I can't decide between led backlit, or 120hz monitors. Why can't I have both in a single monitor? I remember an announcement by Viewsonic back in October, http://www.guru3d.com/news/viewsonic-24-amdcertified-3d-led-monitor-/, but nothing has hit market yet. Why are we, as pc enthusiasts, or more so pc gamers, left behind? Is there no demand for such a monitor?

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    120Hz is nice for setups where you can push over 60FPS, no vsync and no tearing.
    And a must if you want 3DVision.
    So a bit odd that there aren't more LCD/TFT/LED monitors with that frequency.

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Yeah a LED backlit 120hz 1080p monitor would be awesome. But I use 120hz samsung 2233rz, it's 1680x1050 and I'd take it over a 60hz 1080p LED monitor any day.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The Samsungs 120hz are monitors, wish I had one of them instead; even if that means going from 24" to 22"

5. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
    Let me know when you find one.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm going to be waiting even longer for a larger version, 28"+ LED backlit 120Hz monitor.
    <jingles money in pocket at mfrs>

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You make it sound like PC Enthusiasts and PC Gamers are the most important consumers on the planet...when in fact they're the fewest. These companies are worried more about keeping their primary customers i.e. businesses, happy. If you need a 120hz display so badly....buy a 120hz TV. Most accept VGA or DVI and HDMI connections.

8. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

I wouldnt go with 3d, go with a LED LCD ips panel!!All the panasonic viera's are IPS panels.. Ips>tn>Crts, U seen how clear IPS panels are???

9. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    thought ips was no good for gaming?
    but good for photo editing or rendering

10. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

They are great ,but they really shine for rendering/editing etc.. After using a IPS panel i'm never going back to CRT or a TN panel lol

11. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 liquid
    Oh I know we're not the most important or plentiful. I would still think that with all of the enthusiast gear aimed at us the monitor manufacturers would jump on that train. We have 240hz led lcd tvs galore, and seriously there is only a small portion of consumers adopting 3d tvs. I would think that we could get a bone thrown our way...

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    240hz lcd tvs do not run true 240hz. they still only accept a 60hz input signal and then run frame interpolation to generate the extra frames. 120 of the 240 frames are also pure black frames to reduce lcd burn in.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There isn't nearly as much "enthusiast gear" as you think. You get a motherboard line from eVGA and multi-GPU cards and configurations from AMD and nVidia....as well as processors from AMD and Intel. That's the full extent of "enthusiast gear" for PC's....the rest is simply marketing and sales competition. If you look at audio....there's no enthusiast gear. It's either consumer grade, audiophile or pro.... Even watercooling isn't "enthusiast gear" as it originally came from a need to cool computers in an environment that provided limited to no airflow.

14. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    The best 120 Hz monitor out there right now is the Asus VG236H beyond a doubt if you wanna ask me. It not only has the best picture quality of them all but it's also very sharply priced, while the wireless glasses with the infrared transmitter are already included with it.

15. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
    That's a LCD monitor, no?

16. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

yes 120hz 3d LCD :)

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    LED backlit monitors are LCD as well.
    I think the question you meant to ask is "That's a CFL monitor, no?"

18. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
    The "Canadian Football League" monitor?

I know, I know you meant CCFL monitor. Yes I should have said CCFL, because that model is NOT LED backlit.

The question asked by Badmofo was, So where are the 120hz led monitors? Not, So where are the 120hz 3D LCD monitors?

:3eyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  19. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'm quiet happy with 60hz. For 3D the best imo is stereoscopic with polarized glasses, 120hz and frame shutter glasses just doesn't cut it. +1 for IPS panel

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Polarised isnt as simple on computer screens.
    1/2 the screen must be polarised in one direction, 1/2 the other, this is an extra layer of complexity and reduces brightness by half.
    The resolution needs to be doubled so each eye has full res.
    So 1/2 size LCD cells need to be used but the backlight must still produce the same brightness or be even brighter due to the polarising layer.
    The costs add up if you want to keep full resolution.