Shut down CCC.exe and MOM.exe?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HonoredShadow, Oct 9, 2011.

?

Do you shut down CCC.exe and MOM.exe?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2011.
  1. I shut down just CCC.exe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I shut down just MOM.exe

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. I shut down both CCC.exe and MOM.exe

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. I don't shut these down at all

49 vote(s)
    72.1%
  5. None of the above (explain)

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I have noticed a few times in this forum that some people recommend that you shut these down. Do you shut these down before running games?

If you do what benefit would there be? Is it detrimental to games if they are not working?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    CCC.exe and MOM.exe are parts of catalyst control center..

3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I know this but thank you.

4. BOMBATA

BOMBATA Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x dc2t
    Only for Rage to work properly,never in other games.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I shut them down, but normally I use RadeonPro so don't need to deal with CCC and MOM.

CCC doesn't need to be running in game, and MOM is just a hotkey monitor.

I don't like a lot of processes on my PC, especially when they aren't needed.

Actually I don't even have CCC installed, I extract the ATI .exe then just install the driver.

6. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Is this true? I do use Radeon Pro and I know that CCC.exe is the AMD menu you see when you right click the desktop. If I shut that down permanently then could just use RP or just right click the desktop and CCC.exe will load up!

Are you sure they don't do anything else?

EDIT:
    Btw. I use a program called Game Booster and it allows you to temporarily disable certain things like this at the press of a button and then bring it all back at the click of the same button so I could turn these off/on at will without having to go into services and manually turn them on or off.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Positive. CCC is Catalyst Control Centre. MoM is the profiles hotkey poller.

Also in case you missed my edit, I don't actually have CCC installed. All I install is the driver nothing else.

CCC and mom don't run as services, so I don't know if you can disable them with Gamebooster or not.

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for that. Yes you can disable anything temperately. Handy!

9. ElmntEarth1

ElmntEarth1 Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GeForce 670GTX
    I disable them from even starting up with msconfig

10. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    how do you tune your monitor, color, amd overdrive +20% power mode settings then?

11. RodsterPS360

RodsterPS360 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 w/ACX Cooling
    Can you please explain this? I usually extract the ATI driver package without CCC and continue from there. It requires and installs ATI install manager and Microsoft's visual package.

Can you bypass the above? Also is it possible to extract the drivers and update via device manager? :3eyes:

12. WaxPaper

WaxPaper Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5870 (Mobile)
    It's possible, but there are other things in the ATI driver packages that you might need (Avivo, APIs, etc), which is why I'd recommend installing via the normal way, and just stop CCC from starting up with Windows. That's what I do, and for the past year or so, I haven't even needed to do the whole "uninstall CCC first, run Driver Sweeper, etc" because these newer versions of the ATI install packages seem to work just fine (in fact, I don't even have to reboot my system anymore; the installer updates the driver with no problems).

-------------------

Concerning someone's post above, saying they only disable CCC and MOM when running RAGE, I have a question about that; is this related to a problem I'm having where I can't launch RAGE without using CCC to disable OGL triple buffering?

I've tried making a custom RadeonPro profile for RAGE like I would for any other game, and making sure that the "Triple Buffering" option for OGL in RadeonPro is NOT ticked, but I still can't launch RAGE with it... It just crashes right away like it always has; the only way I can launch the game is by specifically disabling OGL triple buffering in CCC...

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yep, just extract package with 7-Zip, then from Device Manager go to where you extracted the files and select Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF.

Individual packages can be installed from Packages\Apps.

14. Whats the best way to shut down these processes? Since i use rpro i have no need for ccc or mom to be starting up so msconfig is the best way? I dont want to kill the processes manually all the time

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Disable CCC from running on startup, using CCleaner or MSConfig.

16. Portal2Two

Portal2Two Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6970
    I never shut them down at all, as shutting them does not give me any extra FPS or other benefit. These processes (CCC and MOM) are idling unless used by ATI driver and Catalyst. With them shut down, you won't have certain features available, such as driver settings.

The only instance I end process MOM.exe and then restart it from task manager is when I have made ATI related changes to the registry and want them to take effect without reboot.

17. yomaus

yomaus Guest

GPU:
    AtiRadeon HD4770
    If you are a gamer (i mean the first you do when system initiate is start a game) is leave the Service to star with windows, then close both CCC&MOM.
    I disable the services from start with windows, but when i want to play i just start catalysticcenter from the contextual-rightclick in desk, and then i kill both with task manager.
    I do this because i use some video sonfig and the "ATI Overdrive" that all you know is a safe overclocking, this tweak take effect only when ccc start, it put the config tweaks on memory (8% overclocking in my case) something that the Card Driver alone wont do. Then the ccc&mom process became useless.
    If you use some other overclocking tool, you just dont need to install CatalystCCenter software at all, just the driver (if you dont care about some videos settings).