Setup is unable to detect a supported product SB Recon3D PCIe

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by GenuineGemini, Feb 23, 2019.

1. GenuineGemini

GenuineGemini Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX480 8GB
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but had an issue with my SB Recon3d PCIe that I finally figured out and thought I would share the process to possibly help others.

Initially, I scoured the web looking for any and all help on the issue of receiving a message that "setup was unable to detect a supported product" when I tried to install the Creative software for my SB Recon3D PCIe card. Like many other people with the same or similar issue I tried everything and none of it worked.

I run Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1803 Build 17134.590. When I first got the card and installed it I was able to install the software without issues. However, I was having some issues with the card malfunctioning after unplanned shutdowns due to power loss or other Windows 10 glitches that caused the same type of shutdowns.

I even contacted Creative support about my SB software installation woes and after a couple of days they replied that they were unable to duplicate my issue and had no further troubleshooting to provide on the matter since technically the SB Recon3D PCIe is an end of life product.

On a hunch and after trying everything else I could find on the Internet without success the below process did in fact resolve my issue and I'm happy to report that the software is installed and I have full access to all the features and settings for my sound card and it works great with my new Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system.

I already had the SB Recon3D PCIe installer downloaded to my PC. I decided to extract the files from the SBRP_CD_L13_1_02_03.exe installer using WinRar, which can be downloaded for free, and put the files in a newly created folder on my desktop. Once WinRar is installed you can simply right-click on the .exe file and choose extract and choose your preferred location to save the files.

I then went into device manager and removed the SB Recon Audio devices including the drivers. This can be done by right-clicking on the respective audio devices in device manager and choosing uninstall, but remember to also check the box for deleting the driver software as well.

I then scanned device manager for hardware changes by right-clicking on the computer hostname (i.e. DESKTOP-SBRECON) at the top of the device manager list and it detected a new HD Audio device.

I did a manual update for drivers by right-clicking on the new HD Audio device in device manager "Browse My Computer for Driver Software". I clicked on "Browse" navigated to C:\Users\"User Name"\Desktop\SB Recon\SBRP_CD_L13_1_02_03\Audio\program files\Creative\Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe\Program\Driver and then clicked “OK”.

Windows installed the driver for the SB Recon3D PCIe device, but not for the SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller device.

I went into the folder on my desktop where I extracted the .exe files and navigated to C:\Users\"User Name"\Desktop\SB Recon\SBRP_CD_L13_1_02_03\Audio\program files\Creative\Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe\Program and ran the Setup.exe and the install.bat file and Windows loaded the SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller device into the device manager.

After that, I attempted to run the Setup.exe from the parent folder where I extracted the files and the software installed successfully without the message that setup could not detect a supported product.

Once I rebooted the PC I was able to run the SB software and configure the various setting.

My apologies for the long post but I really hope this helps other people. I would venture to say that this process may also work on other Creative products\Windows versions with a similar issue as it appears that some Creative device software is just not compatible with the Microsoft designed drivers being automatically installed for some devices.

Blltze, itsandrew and mbk1969 like this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Like a true hacker.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Hardly hacking, he did a manual install in Device Manager to get it identified, then re-ran the general installer.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    "Hacker" is the term not only for guys breaking something through internet. "Hacker" is also used for people who understand, research and fix.
    OP did some interesting non trivial steps in his troubleshooting.

5. GenuineGemini

GenuineGemini Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX480 8GB
    Thank you for the acknowledgement, mbk1969.

6. itsandrew

itsandrew Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 1070
    Hey Gemini,

I'm having the same issues. I've tried the above and coming up to the part where I uninstall the device, and making sure i tick the box upon uninstalling. The "High Definition Audio" pops up after scanning for hardware change. I right clicked on HD Audio and "browsed my computer" then navigated to C:\Users\"User Name"\Desktop\SB Recon\SBRP_CD_L13_1_02_03\Audio\program files\Creative\Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe\Program\Driver just like you and it still suggests that "the best update is already installed for me and/or there is no device supported on this computer" still.

Any ideas? So frustrating, that the only temporary fix for me is every time I start up the computer, I have to toggle between Speakers > Headphone and back to > Speakers in the Sound Blaster Pro Studio which will get the sound working until the next time the computer comes back on.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nice to see Creative haven't fixed the most basic issues that go all tye way back to SoundBlaster Live.

You did it wrong,

Update driver > browse > LET ME PICK > Have disk.

You are doing it

Update driver > browse > search location for driver.

itsandrew likes this.
  8. itsandrew

itsandrew Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 1070
    You're a legend Astyanax! I didn't realise there was a "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" tab after selecting "Browse my computer for driver software..."

I was able to install the SB Recon3D PCIe as now shown in the device manager and followed the next step to install the SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller from GenuineGemini: "I went into the folder on my desktop where I extracted the .exe files and navigated to C:\Users\"User Name"\Desktop\SB Recon\SBRP_CD_L13_1_02_03\Audio\program files\Creative\Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe\Program and ran the Setup.exe and the install.bat file and Windows loaded the SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller device into the device manager."

I have come across another issue, after selecting the Setup.exe in the Program Files "No supported device found" appears. I have tried restarting the computer to see if that would help detect the newly installed driver/device and it still does not work.

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you again for the prompt response Astyanax.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    when that used to happen on my sblive/xfi's i had to remove the creative audio engine package, driver and install both clean.

itsandrew likes this.
  10. Blltze

Blltze Guest

GPU:
    Gtx1070
    Facing the exact Problem now after not updating for like 1 Month, went offline and the next day no sound, straight into control panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound and suddenly there is a Number in front of my Default Audio Device like so: 2- SB Recon3d and that is for all SB Recon3d related drivers like mic etc. win update indeed installed a "Creative" updated called CREATIVE - MEDIA - 6.0.102.56 but im unable to locate where it is or what it does

Realized my VoicemeterBanana couldnt find the SB Recon3d device (because an update changed it to 2- SB Recon3d) tried to switch device and the sound was back but slightly altered like if my Sound Blaster Recon3D System Software wasnt working.

I then Checked the Sound Blaster Recon3D System panel and there it said "No supported device found"
    Followed the guide in Post 1 and the -2 in front of my SB Recon3d Devices is gone now but the Sound Blaster Recon3D System Software refuses to install on my system its the same problem itsandrew has where it always says No supported device found no matter what i try

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT