Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Jakuchu, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Jakuchu

Jakuchu Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X700 PRO (128 MB)
    I installed my new Radeon 9800 Pro card today, and took away my old one (GeForce 5500 FX) and uninstalled all nVidia drivers, first with add/remove and then with Nasty File Remover (v0.71).

Restarted machine and installed newest Omega drivers, so I thought i'd be ready to play.. But how wrong was I.. After playing GTA: San Andreas for two minutes the computer crashed, game freezed completely. And everytime Windows starts, it tries to load NvCpl.dll and says that there is an error, could not find NvCpl.dll file.. And when I try to remove nv4_disp.dll, it keeps coming back again and again.. Can't seem to remove it for good.

What can I do? Re-install Windows or what..? My power supply is only 250W, but I don't think that it's causing all the trouble..?

2. Web junkie

Web junkie Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X850 XT + Catalyst 5.11
    Try downloading and using Driver Cleaner PE to remove the leftover Nvidia drivers, it's more upto date than NFR as that version is about 18 months old!

3. Jakuchu

Jakuchu Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X700 PRO (128 MB)
    Thanks for the link.

Ok,my computer still crashes even after I used that tool, I made a test with 3DMark2001SE and computer crashed after about 5 tests. I could remove everything but these two files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\NV4_Disp.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NV4_Mini.sys

These two keep coming back everytime after I remove them with Driver Cleaner.

Edit: Think I finally fixed my problem, I had to connect the power cables differently and now everything works just fine :) *fingers crossed*

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005