Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB bios, newer or better one?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by srdjan1995, Mar 17, 2020.

1. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Dual RX 6650XT
  2. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Don't push your 480/580 models too far or you'll strain the motherboard power delivery on cheaper motherboards unless you have the larger power connectors on the card or a top-end (ASUS) motherboard/similar. The core clocks of these cards were already (most of them) close to their limits from the factory, especially OC models.
    If you have Samsung memory on that you might be able to increase the mhz of RAM to stock RX 580 8gb speeds (the 4gb version is a little slower), if it's Hynix memory then you are likely already at the limit. Be aware pushing it too far will increase the amount of errors the video RAM must correct, possibly causing micro-stutter conditions (video memory is error-correcting). Make sure the BIOS you get is for the same brand of memory you have on your card, or it might not post/boot/run Windows even. Dual-BIOS cards can be switched to overcome this (unless you mess up both BIOS).
    That aside, maybe another user can help you with finding a better speed BIOS, but I would strongly consider stepping up to a more powerful card if you want better performance as there's not a lot of OC headroom in 480/580 cards. Many manufacturers BIN their gpu cores and cards during production to see which line they go onto, so they can get the most money out of them per card/sale.
    If you're out of warranty, and don't care if it blows up, well then it's really no loss I would say from trying that. Maybe someone more into that sort of thing can help here if you feel you must try.

srdjan1995 and Undying like this.
  3. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    You're right. Dosent have what to do.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Pulse series cards are known to be pretty great overclockers. Power delivery isn't a big issue for these cards under 1.2v which Polaris cards are locked to 1.175v anyways. Now there is an unofficial bios you would have to use to unlock it up to 1.4v, but I would definitely not recommend that on a single 6 or 8 pin card.

For this card you won't notice any major differences with stock or official bios. I highly recommend using a tool like Polaris Bios editor.
    https://github.com/IndeedMiners/PBE-Polaris-Bios-Editor-1.7.2/releases
    You do also need the framebuffer patcher if you run a modified bios in Windows. https://sourceforge.net/projects/amd-ati-pixel-clock-patcher/

The greatest thing you can do for Polaris is optimize memory speeds and timings. Yeah there is some boost in core clocking, but Polaris is very memory bandwidth bound. I have an RX480 8gb Nitro I ran at 1400 1/2v/2200 1.1v with Uber timings under Samsung memory and it definitely shows an improvement over stock.

srdjan1995, Undying and bobblunderton like this.

5. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Thank-you for taking the time to add so much detail. To quote Johnny 5 in Short Circuit 2, 'Input Input Input!'.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  6. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Dual RX 6650XT
    Thank you all for answers. I'll just leave it on stock, don't wanna mess something up. :)