SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    SanDisk Corporation, a global leader in flash storage solutions, today announced that its ULLtraDIMM Solid State Drive (SSD), the industry's first enterprise-class, ultra-low latency, memory channel ...

SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD

2. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Despite having a ton of respect for SanDisk, that was a disgustingly painful read :|

3. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Hmm, first time I've read about these.

SSD on RAM slots? Yes please.

Anyone know if these DIMM's have the RAM on them also or are we sacrifising ram for storage?

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    In other news pigs will fly over Buckingham palace before these become standard in desktops! ;)

5. Yes! I was hoping for something like this to be made.

RAM needs more capacity and storage needs more speed. What to do? Combine both lol.

So we can effectively eliminate the need to actually load anything because everything you can load is already in the RAM.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm really curious how this would work, because how do you tell the BIOS, or even the OS, to not use these modules as plain ol system memory? This seems like a great idea (especially if it can be used in current RAM drive caddies, where you wouldn't need the battery anymore) but I'm thinking you must need a really particular motherboard to use it.

7. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    I think its a great concept, but that's all that it is a, great concept. Don't see this becoming very popular anytime soon imo.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I see it becoming wildly popular in the mainframe world, but non-existent for small servers or PCs. It is completely impractical in the PC world - it's kind of like driving a Bugatti to pick up groceries.

I'm not pointing fingers at you directly, but I've really come to notice that it seems nobody on this website has any clue about anything outside of PCs or at-home servers. Not that said people have any reason to know these things, but many of you who question why certain pieces of hardware exist don't seem to know there is a lot more out there than you're aware of. The 16-core Opteron is a good example of this; it wouldn't surprise me if most of you weren't aware that AMD released a 12 core Opteron with quad-channel memory before Bulldozer was released.

What really confuses me is why this website covers SOME of these things, but not all. For example, we'll hear about enterprise RAM but very little ECC stuff is covered. We'll hear about a 16-core Opteron but we don't hear about SPARC. We'll hear about a 64-bit ARM architecture but we don't hear about MIPS. To be fair, if all these other things were to be covered (as well as a massive abundance of other server-specific hardware) this website would be blowing up in content. I'm just wondering why exactly some things get through and others don't. I don't think we will EVER see this RAM in desktop or laptop PCs.

9. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Well yes, obviously its can become popular in server environments, i meant in the consumer market it likely wont.

Although you might not have meant it in that way, your comment does sound slightly condescending towards guru3d users. Just saying, not trying to pick a fight. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Classical databases required HDD or SSD access. Lately there is new interest in databases which exist just in RAM to speedup access to such databases in servers. SanDisk's memory may be just in time for that.

11. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    It has practicle consumer applications, think laptops, netbooks tablets etc.

Save alot of space if you dont need an hdd. Hell i'd buy one of these for my HPTC to free up an HDD slot.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    They have SSDs the size of mini-PCIe cards for that. Also, many laptops that are limited on space will just simply solder the SSD to the board. Besides, I highly doubt we will ever see SO-DIMMs of this type of memory.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I would assume that bios would need to be updated to know how to handle the storage on the memory.

This is a great idea just for keeping everything localized and in one package. Would also keep power draw down.(Granted power draw from an ssd is very low anyway)