Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Can you post fps difference btw 399.x drivers and latest ones?

2. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    People already creating conspiracy theories about Nvidia gimping drivers, no...
    This is GCN optimizations that came from consoles as well as the latest COD, Pascal is going to die pretty soon...
    2020 AAA titles will probably run well on turing and GCN/RDNA/RDNA2, but pretty poor on Pascal, Fermi, Maxwell, would love to see in the benchmark a 980ti and a 780ti hahahaha!

jbscotchman likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, i don't give much value to what they say. If someone can prove that turing is using specific hardware to "yield better image quality", then sure... but i very much doubt that can be proven, as i seriously doubt that to be the case. Nvidia will probably claim that it is the case, but i take everything they say with a huge truckload of salt. I am willing to bet that they are using the exact same driver software implementation.

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Speaking of Nvidia drivers, is anyone interested taking a go with the latest Vulkan developer drivers, also released yesterday?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Waste of Hilbert's time. He's just trolling.

gx-x likes this.
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey. 980 Ti slower than 1060...

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    A game is a game, they affect the cards in different ways.

In the The Outer Worlds for example, Radeon VII is on par with the RX 5700 and the RX 5700XT is a good 15% to 20% faster.

So, could we say that AMD is deliberately crippling Radeon VII to favor Navi?

gx-x likes this.
  8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Obviously they won't push cards that are no longer made. But they do support them, saying otherwise is just not true. Do you ever read driver notes?

9. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I was always skeptical about Nvidia gimping their old GPUs, but seeing 1080Ti performance in RDR2 (and the new CoD) I think it's time to revisit that topic.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    You know, you may be right, but why deny the possibility of them not optimizing it properly for Pascal and this being the beginning due to the title itself being a big deal? How do smartphone manufactures force people to change their phones? Why would they release new if they make the old ones run better with each year.. it's all speculation obviously but it could as well just be the beginning of the end for Pascal.

Icanium and Dragam1337 like this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, they fix glarring issues, but they sure as hell don't optimize game performance for pascal, which is very evident with this game.

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Lots of crazy talk in this thread. This is madness!

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef, Undying and airbud7 like this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is a pretty large difference between Nvidia not optimizing for Pascal and Nvidia intentionally gimping Pascal - which is what people are saying is occurring (and that Nvidia has a history of doing this - they don't). Just like there is a difference between Apple not releasing updates for older phones and Apple releasing updates that actually lower the performance on older phones.

In this case there are a ton of different variables - Turing's general compute for example is significantly higher than Pascal and it's ability to dual issue int/fp simultaneously may cause a developer, when developing shaders, to lean into those advantages. There is no amount of optimization Nvidia can do from their side to make Pascal better in that case. FP16 is now supported on RDNA/Vega/Turing - any shaders that are utilizing this are going to be faster on those architectures and no optimization is going to make them faster on Pascal. There are a whole slew of architecture enhancements on Turing that devs can be taking advantage of that can't be "optimized" for on Pascal. In those cases there isn't even a "nvidia not doing it properly" its just "nvidia can't do anything" to make up that difference. That's not to mention that developers just targeting new NVAPI/ISA versions can just improve Turing performance across the board on games that aren't.

Is that what's going on here? I have no idea - but neither does anyone in this thread. To automatically assume intentional downgrading is a garbage assumption. I don't care for it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    jura11, Richard Nutman, gx-x and 4 others like this.
  14. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Some sensible person here!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    LOL. You must be new here, but Denial has been defending Nvidia at every controversy for as long as I remember. I don't think I ever saw him say a single criticism about Nvidia. Take from that as you will, but I always try to listen to people who at least try to remain neutral. Blind devotion and fanboyism isn't healthy for anyone.

16. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I'm not saying you're wrong, just that what is going on here in this title is odd to say the least. Who knows maybe turing has a ton under the hood and we were seeing the tip of the iceberg up until this point.

17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    good news I have another reason to wait until the steam release, not going to buy a 20xx for that sorry nvidia
    5.x vram is not something you see everyday in 1080p but I saw 4.3-4.4 often enough (BL3,RE2,modded skyrims) to know that 4Gb will limit you for sure in 2019

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think this is amusing because I've been called an AMD fanboy on these forums by people too - when calling out equally dumb opinions by Nvidia people against AMD. I was outspoken on the 970 memory issue, GPP program (when more evidence of it came out) and various other issues. I also own $30K of AMD stock. But yeah I guess I'm an Nvidia fanboy because I don't buy into random people saying "nvidia is intentionally gimping performance" based on literally nothing.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Wrong!....He gets on everybody's azz....

gx-x and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    So you do change your stance about Nvidia once there's overwhelming evidence about their wrongdoings, but until that time, you happily defend them and talk down every concerns that people might have about performance or other issues. I don't know how you can say, with serious face, that 1080Ti performance here is normal, but whatever.