Review: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the flagship graphics card from Gigabyte in the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti series, the spectacular Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11G. This GTX 1080 Ti comes customized with an impressive cooler...

Review: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11G

2. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Thank you for another great review, the 1080Ti 'specials' are the way to go of course with better performance, cooler temps & quieter.

I was disinterested in the 1080's but I will be upgrading to a 1080Ti and why not to this Gigabyte Aorus Extreme? It looks very smart and performs excellently.

But you haven't finished reviewing the 1080Ti specials, let's see how the best of the EVGA does.

3. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    It would also be nice if you could ass all these custom result to the benchmarks, so it's all in one spot... or a nice roundup article a little later when more versions become available

4. ScreamerRSA

ScreamerRSA Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF OC
    Awesome review as always Hilbert. :)

In the comments of the Strix or MSI 1080 you mentioned the ZOTAC review...that still coming?

5. Darthmullet

Darthmullet Guest

GPU:
    AORUS 1080 Ti 11GB
    Thanks for the great review. I have a regular AORUS on the way, was not able to get an order of the Xtreme when it launched. Any plans on reviewing the other Gigabyte models, like the AORUS regular and the Gigabyte Windforce, and perhaps doing a comparison?

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yes, the Zotac card however was not yet shipped. Some board partners are a little later, the same for Palit.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I might consider it, but as always time is a bit of an issue as there's plenty of other good stuff that needs to be reviewed as well :nerd:

8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    That is one beautiful GPU right there. Great review as always HH. I'm pining for a Vega review, but I think we'll have to wait abit for that one. :nerd:

9. DJLRADEON

DJLRADEON Guest

GPU:
    Msi gaming x gtx 1070
    please add forza horizon 3 to the benchmarked games

please add forza horizon 3 to the benchmarked games

10. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Here in Norway this card is about 100€ cheaper than the asus strix.
    Is the strix overpriced or did they skimp on some components? I always liked gigabytes products loved my 970's from them.

11. Oberom

Oberom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 ti G1 Gaming
    Great review HH. Waiting for the next gen to replace my 980ti.
    Did they replace the G1 Gaming "brand" by Aorus ? Not a huge fan of that logo and the overall look of the card. The ROG one looks nicer in my opinion.

12. ScreamerRSA

ScreamerRSA Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF OC
    A strange trend.... the MSI Gaming X is faster than the ASUS Strix and now this Gigabyte Auros even though it has lower average boost clock than both those cards :confused:

Same is happening at Techpowerup with their reviews :confused:

13. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    Honestly? If this card would be reviewed first, I'd understand all the praise.

But after MSI and ASUS reviews? Not only this card is the slowest out off the bunch (that is while it is highest clocked, which is WTF, but I guess it is due to their baseline power limit fail), but it's also actual triple slot that weighs a ton and as such sags noticeably. Heck, despite that it has worse cooling than MSI and ASUS, wut?

IMO, this is easily the worst custom 1080 Ti reviewed here so far.

14. hapkiman

hapkiman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
    I'm sorry, but this card is ugly as hell.

15. mrclass

mrclass New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX980
    Thanks for the review Hilbert! Been waiting for your reviews to decide which 1080ti to get. So far thinking of getting the Asus Strix 1080ti OC Edition after reading your 1080ti reviews.

Though please when you do an OC review, is it possible to apply the same OC on all the cards? In the Asus review, the OC was less, so the performance results varied by alot when comparing it to the Aorus. Or i don't know if you were doing a max OC and using the temp as your cut off. Please shed some light :)

Hopefully these beasty cards get back in stock and flood the market for a more stable and logical price.

16. HarryB

HarryB Guest

GPU:
    GSkill Trident X 2400DDR3
    Hi. Some people are claiming that these GPU's have 6 power phases and the 12+2 phases are fake. do you have any information about that? They posted a video on youtube claiming it.
    Search "PCB Breakdown: Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme Gaming" in youtube.
    Personally i don't think its true. Even if it was most of these GPU's overclock to the similar range so more power phases doesn't guarantee higher overclocks.

17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Hilbert,
    Why you dont bench quantum break, right now its the most demanding game when upscaling is disabled and has both DX11 and DX12 mode to test and compare.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I like it, except for one thing and that is the 3 fans and the position of the middle fan. That is a bit meh, but it's their design for a while now, so I guess it works. :)

19. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    What are the UK retail prices for 1080Tis? I want to order from amazon UK, but right now it looks like everything is near 800GBP.

20. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Clicked on the review link from FB today!!

Awesome review.. would love to have this card, despite the fact I know my 8350 wouldn't be able to feed that beast all it could eat.. ;)

[​IMG]