Review: Cougar Blazer Open Frame Chassis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This time around, we’re checking out the Cougar BLAZER, an all-aluminum, open frame, mid-tower PC chassis. This new case comes in only one variant (with orange accents), and that’s a pity, because...

Review: Cougar Blazer open chassis

2. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    I see cables, cables everywhere... :eek:

;)

primetime^, chispy and SpajdrEX like this.
  3. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    I was mildly interested until I saw the power supply location...whaaaa? So if I need to change some component out and shut off the power supply switch, I would have to open the side door to get to it in an awkward position. The power supply sits inside the case with some weird cut out toward that back that doesn't match the standard PS. Whatever.

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Indeed, this is a major bummer.

5. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i take my nzxt h700 anyday over this, way less costly, spacious enough, good looking and practical

6. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    For this chassis, the custom (in length) cables are a must. I have what I have, so... ;)

This Cougar is not a 24/7 chassis. It's for the showcase, it would be the best to put the custom LC here (but I don't have it - yet).

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    From the looks of things, you'd have to remove the motherboard to install SSDs in 2 locations.... some sort of bracket would have been better....

Cable cover? On the rear of the motherboard tray? Makes no sense given the rat's nest in front of the power supply, that can't be easily hidden.

8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    best "from fantasy to awful reality" crash I have ever seen, looked great in CGI looks absolutely atrocious irl
    you could just go all black cables from the PSU and bind them together but still it wouldn't change that it looks cheap, the grey grainy surface looks worse than industrial machines at work and the windows don't look high quality compared to Corsair's or Lian Li (it can go from near invisible like on Corsair's 680x to a nightmare of reflection and opaque/greyish glass)
    a custom loop wouldn't save this, I googled pictures, a full rgb look helps but still you're better off with a classical Lian Li Dynamic XL
    I wouldn't buy a case with the PSU in the same side in 2020 there are several cases now with a secondary compartment where you can hide all the cables, PSU and drives, there's no way even an original "showcase" box can beat that, they must integrate that new design to have any chance of pleasing enthusiasts

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  9. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    yes it looks like someone just thru it together with ZERO patience.....im sure it looks way better with a bit of effort :)

10. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Was there no way to make the cabling look better?
    I can see this as sort of an industrial looking build, but with the cabling looking that sloppy it just really doesn't work.
    I'm surprised this came across as recommended given the amount of quirks it comes with (no filters, little protection, weird PSU setup, hard to access SSD mounts). I dunno. I can't say I would ever use it. Maybe for trade shows when you're showing off a new GPU it would work.

11. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    It could have been managed better if I wouldn't use the rear cover. But if this is applicable, then with my custom cables there was a "spaghetti" at the front.

It could have been better looking when I wouldn't use the cover at the back. But with my custom cables that I use for all the chassis reviews - it's hard to avoid the "spaghetti" without the PSU cover.