Review: Corsair H150i PRO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We check out the new 360mm radiator based Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO - an AIO Liquid cooler series that Corsair injects into the channel. With a tiny bit of RGB, bling Corsair promises to deliver ...

Review: Corsair H150i PRO

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    HawaiianBrian likes this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Nice and quiet. :)

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Fairly unimpressive cooling for such a big radiator in my opinion. The older units like the H110 performed better, and some other closed loop coolers from other manufacturers.

EDIT:
    Same results supported by another review:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsa...oop-aio-cpu-cooler-review,review-34149-2.html

Although it is quiet, it's cooling performance is MEH. And just before I edited this post I've seen later posts supporting air cooling & Noctua - I fully agree!

EDIT#2: although it did seem to perform a lot better in this review, and performed in the upper echelons when normalising for noise at 40dB:
    won't let me post link for Gamers Nexus - automatically changes to Disney link?!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    jura11 likes this.
  4. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Good old Noctua all the way.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah Beyond the slight noise reduction, this is pretty unimpressive all things considering. Then again i will keep to air cooling, i'd rather not risk water damage

Robbo9999 likes this.
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm one of those (few) that aren't that bothered by a louder system if the cooling performance is good. And from that POV this brings hardly anything over my older H115i. Sure the RGB is nice if you are into it, but if you go that route, why not include 3 ML120 RGB fans instead of the standard gray ones? I mean if somebody buys this for the RGB you can be sure he will also swap the fans for actual RGB LED fans (and preferaby that person will also go for Corsair RGB fans, good old strategy right there...).

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have ti agree with this. The performance is lacking for such a big and expensive cooler although the low noise it makes is a very positive point. I´m curious to see how the smaller one performs.

8. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Still rocking my H110i after 4 years still pering :) .

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    For half the price you have a Noctua NH-D15S which is as quiet, has the same temps and no risk of leaking.

Not to mention if your pump dies you're crap out of luck, while the D15S can still manage passive cooling untill you get a new Fan if it would die.

Watercooling is overrated.

sverek and jura11 like this.
  10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Same reason why I evidently changed my mind on wanting an AIO, water damage, I wouldn't want to look forward to water killing my I7 7800x that I got an month ago. With the amount these aio units cost, you would think they would do better. My Thermalright SB-E Extreme is still holding up and I had it forever, as it going on 6 years give or take.

jura11 likes this.

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Funny story....I tried a 360 rad on my H110gt with 3 Cosair sp120 fans controlled through the motherboard but i could not better the performance I was getting from the 280mm rad and 140mm fans that it came with, Im quessing the selling point is the rgb but that doesnt justify the £184 that Scan are charging despite it having the plain non led mag fans, if they did an white led fan version i`d probably go for that.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I learned that one a hard way. My corsair H60 pump died after 4 years and there nothing I could do to fix it. Temperatures are skyrocking if water is not circulating.

For air cooler, if cooler dies, just replace it. Heck, passive cooling might just be enough. Simple solutions are more reliable.

Not going back to water. Too complicated and too many things can go wrong.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    But an aio doesnt put a load of weight on the motherboard....to each his own i quess, as for leaks...never had one from my H110i gt

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't see any issue with weight, unless your motherboard made of cardboard.

Leaks are very rare and probably caused by user error. The issue with aio is needless difficulty, for a little reward. If something goes wrong with it, you out of luck.

Air solution is simple and you have clear vision of what is happening.

People who serious about water cooling make their own custom loops for actually better cooling performance. And they understand what is happening and can troubleshoot it, if something might go wrong.
    With aio, you stuck with blackbox that you can't look inside and just hope it will work.

15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    ML fans definitely help with less noise, bit still for half price as above guys said you can have NH-D15S or NH-D15, Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal, Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT and few others which in many cases outperform AIO or CLC

Recently fitted on friend build Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT after his H115i failed,he is running 5960x with 4.5Ghz at 1.285v and his temperatures after testing are better than with H115i, previously he could dream of running 4.5Ghz, he run 4.3GHz for while because temperatures has been way to high for his liking

Same we are went on GPU cooling, borrowed him my old Raijintek Morpheus II cooler just to do few quick tests on his GTX1080Ti Founders Edition, as many know, stock Founders Edition cooler is just too loud, under load in gaming his temperatures are in 42-46°C with 2144MHz at 1.093v and +450MHz on VRAM with Raijintek Morpheus II, after testing he bought same cooler and now he is using this cooler on his Ti,if he is happy with it, I would say yes very

If I would go with AIO then EK Phoenix or Swiftech but still for same amount I can build simple loop which will perform better than these AIO

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above with AIO or CLC you are stuck with what you are got, no upgrades etc, yes if you want to can hack it or get AIO like is Swiftech, Alphacool or EK etc which can be expanded but with this you are stuck, if something happens you can pray RMA will honour warranty

If I would run 2*GPUs then I would stay with air and wouldn't consider go route of water loop, but running 3*GPUs and water cooling has been only option for me, if I can I still recommend go with air cooler setup than AIO/CLC

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    overpriced for what it is (and vs other aio like predator and such), especially since its an asetek based pump.
    for the same amount i can get the eisbaer with a much better pump, no risk of failure or leaking, can be expanded as well.

fans can die, and if i oc my cpu and add V, passive might not be enough to cool it, so no gain for aircooler the way i see it.
    besides that, i dont know any decent up to date hardware that wont shut down if overheating, so not really no advatage for air cooling.

3 things that are the reasons for me using water:
    exhaust hot (cpu) air outside the case (without funnel/shroud and/or having an exhaust fan close to it etc), thus lowering ambient temp inside the case
    lower gpu temps (cause of lower case temps).
    and, i can run fans inaudible (meaning: i cant hear it at all, when its running) even under full load.
    no, it wont happen with air, unless maybe with some 5lbs heatsink...

and it doesnt take much longer to install a aio/lc than it takes to install a good air cooler thats heavy, nor is it more "difficult" if you can read and follow the manual.
    so nothing where i see an air cooler is "better".

comparing the price and saying water cooling doesnt make sense (vs air cooled or unless custom loop) isnt really relevant, as the cooler should cover what "i" want.
    if that is going to cost me more, so be it.
    and its not like we're talking about a 1000$ titan here..
    same reason not everyone wants a prius, or some ppl dont mind spending 2M$ on a lambo.
    doesnt mean the lambo is over priced (vs the prius maybe), but not when comparing what i want/get out of the car)

and if its "too complicated" (overall) to use water: what are you doing here? :rolleyes:

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    [​IMG]

19. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    This is roughly same performance as Noctua NH-D15 which is air cooler at half the price, not to mention air coolers have fewer moving parts and nearly zero chance of failure. Liquid coolers are ridiculously overhyped by gullible "enthusiasts" while good air coolers don't get enough spotlight.

TheDeeGee and Robbo9999 like this.
  20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It's getting to the point of how unique you want your rig to be. Corsair basically selling a "fashion" here.
    Same with what kids doing to their cars, by customizing wheels, adding RGB strips under the doors or buffing muffler.
    I mean why care if your car gets worse mileage and/or you have to visit car repair more often, as far as you look cool and feel confident.

These products are not aimed for mature people, it's a "cool" hardware to play with.
    I have nothing against. People buy whatever to feel better about themselves, and be proud about their rig.

Edit: I remember myself wishing I could fully assemble Corsair rig (case + PSU + cooler), cause I already had PSU and AIO. It could look pretty good.
    Don't really care now. I just enjoy simplicity and best parts for the price I can find.