Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What case do you have? I thought the LL120s were not performing well at all in my old Lian-Li O11 Dynamic. I tried some Fractal Design X2 GP-12 fans and I could really feel the wind from the fans when holding my hand whereas the LL120s hardly move any air at all.

2. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    I have the Corsair 500D SE RGB case (the one with tempered glass panel). 3 front intake and 2 top pushing air out. Originally was going to have just the 3 fans at the front (which came stock) and 1 fan pushing air out back of the case of but the VRM heatsink on my motherboard is too big and the fan was literally squeezing against it so decided to mount it up top (and got an extra fan while I was at it for aesthetics lol).

3. foetopsyRus

foetopsyRus Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX 3080
    if you measured earlier the program will have to remeasure, so as not to be misleading 8700ะบ
    [​IMG]

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Impressive. That case must have a dust filter that isn't too dense.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Yea it's a nice case. Looks good and fairly easy to build in. Even for someone like me that rarely build PC's (last one was over 6 years ago) I managed to put it together pretty well. Reminds me I should put up some pics of the build sometimes lol.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Oh i am sure there is nice boost just looking at cpubenchmarks site the 3800x runs all over 6700k and according to that is faster stp then 9900k but vs 6700k the 3800x is huge jump. i just dont want build new system just yet.

I can get the 3800x and 5xx mobo for 500$ at microcenter but the mobo would be worse then my current mobo . at lest feature wise on the onboard audio. and I pretty much take everything else out of my current pc.

Netherwind likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Late reply, as I've went to a short trip outdoors.
    Solid processor, solid review.
    Another typos somehow managed to escape
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    Hope that you caught some rest ( you seriously need some rest) get those typos
    Just trying to help you.

8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Why do you need to be brutally hinest like that? :p

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Do post pics if you're proud of your build :) It's always interesting to see how it turned out.

You could always check out a X470 mobo? That's what I got at least and so far it seems like a good choice.

Yep, overclocking should be your least concern since your CPU is OCing just nice on its own. I managed a 4,4GHz all-core OC but PBO & AutoOC (+200) does around 4,3GHz on its own so I guess that's where I am at the moment.

bballfreak6 likes this.
  10. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Haha yea still thinking if I should get some custom cable extensions for the 24 pin and PCIe 6+2 and need to retake pic of backside of case since I originally had a couple fugly red sata cables before finding black ones which I've since replaced them with lol.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not quite true :) I did manage to get that 4,4GHz all-core OC, I just need to bump up the Vcore ever so slightly. This would mean a 100-150MHz increase in games :)

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's keep bait posts to ourselves please, thanks.

13. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    Great review.
    The problem that amd has to raise frequencies, what is it due to?
    Architecture, silicon, tsmc ...

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It's likely 99% TSMC. We see that usually there is only 1-2 cores in each 8-core chiplet that can hit higher clocks. Those good cores are hitting decently high clocks. This is all pointing at TSMC's process which is very immature in the grand scheme of things. I would expect the 7nm+ process to help raise clocks by around 15% partly because the new process is 15% more efficient but also because TSMC should be applying lessons learned to its new tweaked 7nm node which is similar to what Intel has done with 14nm+.

15. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    15% sounds really good, hopefully.
    4100 mhz * 15% = 615mhz
    4715mhz for 6/8 cores would be great but who knows where they can improve.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Increase in clocks doesnt necessarily translate into equivalent increase in performance. Look at the benchmarks. About 10% higher base clock over 3700x, yet only about 2-3% performance gain in most benches.

17. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Clocked at CCX1@4425 MHz - CCX2@4450 MHz with ctr and it works flawlessly, also with manual oc got great results in cb20.

Cinebench 5401.jpg

Undying and JonasBeckman like this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Huh thought the clock tweaker utility traded the stock performance (Burst speeds.) for a lower but more even multi core performance figure long as the user is careful due to the dynamic maximum voltage value.
    (SVI TFN something, granted I only know parts of this and from what I've been reading here and there so that's not very much.)

That's boosting pretty close to the 4.5 theoretical maximum I think is what it's at for the 3800X then, not bad. :)

NightWind likes this.
  19. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    With manual oc @4500 MHz could test the cpu with cb20, of course with higher voltage.
    CTR recommends or uses so far between 1625-1275 mV.
    Waiting for the next v1.1 release or update to see if something changes regarding performance gain.