Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Remember Rage? That was the first game released on the IdTech 5 engine back in 2011, and the last game where John Carmack was the lead rendering architect at Id. Well it looks like it's about to get a sequel, because Rage 2 has basically been confirmed and a trailer is supposed to drop tomorrow or today depending on what side of the World you live on. I really hope it's not a fricking cinematic trailer! :mad:

Rage twitter

Not sure how I really feel about this though. Rage to me was a game with lots of potential, but the execution was severely flawed. I'm not even sure I can blame Id for that poor execution, as the hardware limitations at the time were much more stringent than today, especially with the consoles.

However, with much more powerful consoles today, and the FAR superior IdTech 6.5, Rage 2 might very well succeed where its predecessor fell flat on its ass. The engine upgrade alone would be worth it.

Who wants to see IdTech 6.5 in an open or semi open world game?

*raises hand* :D

If the trailer is released before I wake up, can someone post it in this thread? Thanks!

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, I've been following this the past few days.
    Even started replaying RAGE.

Always loved the game.
    So, RAGE 2 gets announced tomorrow I'm going to be so damned happy.

But... if this turns out to be a remaster of RAGE, I might be a little irritated.

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    What makes you think it would be a remaster? By all accounts I've read, it's a legitimate sequel. A initial remaster with the sequel releasing a year or so later wouldn't be too bad though, provided it was thorough. The original game had great potential that was stifled by the hardware limitations of the consoles, and the IdTech 5 engine.

Would be great to see the original game running on the far superior IdTech 6.5 engine.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I remember the original being marred by comparisons to Borderlands and finding the game to be dull with decent shooting every now and then. id impressed me with Doom, I'd like a semi openworld game from them. I don't want "loot" though.

nz3777 likes this.

5. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    That... came out of nowhere. Was there ever any sort of 'demand' for a sequel to the first?

I bought it back then, played it maybe 2 or 3 hours total; it didn't hook me. I moved to other games and completely forgot about it. Time will tell what they'll come up with for the second one I guess.

Shataan likes this.
  6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    As many replies as this thread got yea people must have been clamoring for it :p.

I fall firmly into the game did not grab me category and never opined for a sequel.

But who knows ID has been pulling off some miracles of late noone expected the new doom to be as good as it was. Most thought it would suck.

Maybe they can keep that trend going.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Oh yes, let there be RAGE 2! With new IdTech!

RAGE didn't grab me initially either for some reason but once I reinstalled it a few years back I got hooked and played it to completion + DLC.

8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Nothing. I was just joking.
    Just the irony that I'd get excited for a sequel and BOOM!

With everything that's been posted on the twitters... it's obviously going to be a sequel.

Actually yes, there was.
    id said right after finishing the first game that they had plans for a sequel. And, there were a lot of players excited for one.

Plus, back in... 2016 I believe, Pete Hines teased the possibility of a sequel.
    "I do think both The Evil Within and Rage did well enough that we could make sequels. Personally I loved Rage and had a ton of fun playing it, but we have a lot of stuff in the pipeline right now so you will have to wait and see."

But, as I figured, it'd be E3 before we actually get to see the game.
    Probably a big gameplay reveal and show, then a release date for later this year.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    A game i only ever got through the first level because i felt the games fps stuff just did not gel with me, but it's possible because of how the game looks i was expecting a Borderlands type of gun game.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I think Rage kind of slipped through the cracks because:

- everyone was expecting another Doom (or Borderlands)
    - open world crafting / hybrid games weren't yet a "thing" they are now

personally I feel Rage struck a good balance between fps / car combat / crafting and inventory management and also open world vs. linear missions.

Sequel could very well use the same concept. Don't turn it into Ubisoft style open world with map-littered-with-trinkets-and-pointless-quests please.
    Though Ubi have improved on that front recently.

I guess I too was offput at first because Rage felt so unfamiliar as an id shooter.
    Look past that and it's quite good, a game that has both enjoyable first person shooting and third-person vehicle combat.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I liked Rage, it was entertaining.

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Rage had a lot of potential but fell really flat. It was a very average game yet entertaining. I hope that this is going to be the original concept and dream of Rage that they were going for to begin with as I did enjoy the first one, but it was really empty feeling compared to what I expected. The engine held it back a bit too with the horrible texture pop-ins and issues that made it feel like a bad port.

Sequel has huge potential.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Here's the full trailer. A gameplay trailer will be released tomorrow! :D

15. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Rage 2 is developed by Avalanche Studios, its official website has revealed.

"Developed in association with Avalanche Studios, trading as Fatalist Entertainment AB," reads the small print at the foot of the Rage 2 website.

The phrase "in association" suggests other studios are involved, no doubt Rage developer id Software.

We also have some detail on the game. It's due out for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and it's an open world first-person shooter. Here's the official blurb:

"Dive headfirst into a dystopian world devoid of society, law, and order. Rage 2 brings together a true open world FPS experience where you can go anywhere, shoot anything, and explode everything."

The decision to go with Avalanche for Rage 2 makes a lot of sense. The studio has a huge amount of open world blow 'em up experience with the Just Cause series, but it also made an open world Mad Max video game for publisher Warner Bros. The first Rage game seemed inspired in part by Mad Max, and Rage 2, based on its teaser video, looks like it's heavily-inspired by Mad Max: Fury Road.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ked-teaser

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Avalanche, well as long as the engine is fixed up a bit better than JC3 was it should turn out OK.
    Just Cause 4 being part of the other list of leaked titles so one branch is probably doing that and the other is doing this and the above image looks like it came right from Mad Max too though I doubt that will get an actual sequel anytime soon.

Well, will be fun to see what this turns into, in-between all the explosions at least which knowing Avalanche regardless of branch they'll probably be covering the requisite minimum 75% or so of the total display area with smoke and particle effects. :p

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    It also solves the mystery as to why Avalanche went off the radar right after Mad Max released and what they have been working on since 2015. Someone at Bethesda stood up and took note of their hard work and landed them the gig no doubt and it will also have something to do with them using Avalanche's very own engine rather than anything id tech based as they obviously already have the perfect tools to make such a game that can handle both large open worlds and huge explosions.

Mad Max if anything was pretty much a prototype for whatever this turns out to be and considering that was my favourite game of 2015 I can't help but be very excited now for tomorrow's unveiling.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    All respect to Avalanche but... my hype factor went down a notch knowing this won't be an id game.

Collaborated effort for sure but... dunno. We'll see and I really hope this turns out good and in the same vein as original.

Not just a JC / Mad Max clone with Rage stamp.
    Granted Avalanche sounds like they could pull this off but to me it's kinda the same if Doom 5 was made by someone else than id.

Id game is, and needs to be, an id game.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Not been that long since i played the first one, absolutely loved it! :D

20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Mad Max was actually a pretty good open world game. I can see them pulling this off. Hopefully this won't be very "live service" and will be a single player focused game with a good CoOp addition. Seeing how most games are coming out I can see this becoming a Borderlands/Destiny wannabe somehow, but I don't think so really since that hasn't really been Bethesda\ID's MO so far.