R9 290x Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nickrorschach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    or get a 290, and if you have any problems, then send it back and get a 780, as thats what i was going to do, but i managed to sort my problem with Afterburner.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    By the way, what's actually this black screen crash? I've had two black screens (just blackness) but no crash and that has only happened when computer has been idle and card went to zero power mode. Unplugging the display and replugging it fixes it. It's not a crash but more like failure to wake up properly. Is this the black screen issue or something else?

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its like TDR by nvidia, but by AMD it never resets - hard freeze.

4. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Guest

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb

It depends on where you live. In some countries,(if you havent bought online) you can only ask for a refund if the card is malfunctioning.

So you get a 290, it blackscreens. Since it is not easy to show the blackscreen at will, you may stuck with a nonfunctioning card (which is exactly what happened to me ) .

No point to take a risk. Go with 780. A lot of cards blackscreens,BSOD 's etc with the new R290 series.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Might be going for a 780 afterall now seen as Afterburner expires next week (and no new version looking to be coming for a while), as i won't be able to use my 290, as ill be back to blackscreens, BSOD and clock throttling without it :(

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    GTX 780 is great card - just avoid Gigabyte. :D I woudl still have one if they would have been tiny bit cheaper.

7. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Not a single problem here with my msi gaming 290 and I've had it since release. I don't use afterburner and just set the bios to uefi.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    GL with that, ps.: unwinder always released new version right before it expires. Have some faith, geez :p

Also there is some weird issue on your system for sure if you need to use MSI for 2d clocks, like Rflair said few pages ago..

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well i don't know what, as i had no problems with my 7970, and that was even on the same 13.12 WHQL drivers.

He may not though due to the Russia/Ukraine trouble, im hoping he does do something though, just have to wait and see :p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  10. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980
    Guys im getting a 290X today, MSI Gaming model, should i still worry about that Black screen ?

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I wouldn't, as its gone as bit quiet on the blackscreen front now tbh.

12. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980
    Should i select the "Ubber" mode for more stability against this ?

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And back then you never used MSI afterburner, all this started once you started monitoring and tweaking with frequency right?
    At least that's what I remember ;D

Idk to me it still looks like user error and some conflict with driver OC part & MSI Ab tool :nerd:

If you do go nvidia then go 780Ti, those 3 extra SMX will help in the near future.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Would changing the date on your pc fool ab into not thinking it expired?

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No, i wasn't using AB with my 7970, and also no, my problem didn't start when i started monitoring and tweaking.

All i did when i got the 290 was, uninstalled the 13.12s, swapped the cards over, reinstalled the 13.12s, then i got a blackscreen, BSOD the following day just by closing Steam (benching and gaming was fine oddly), thought a one off, so popped AB on to check if i had the throttling clock problem while gaming everyone said was happening (which i was going to do anyway), i did, so did as they all said, and locked the 3D clocks to stop it.

Then about a week later, i got another blackscreen BSOD just by opening and closing FF (this was with no AB running at the time, as i only ran it when i was going to game to lock the 3D clocks, i didn't have it to start @startup, just ran it manually), so i opened the CCC and checked to see what the clocks were doing while i was just on the desktop, opening/closing FF etc..., saw they were going berserk, spiking and dropping massively, so thought about setting another profile up that i could use for my desktop, so those clocks would be locked as well to see how that goes, and thats what i did, i set up another profile, with the clocks set at the lowest AB would go to use when im just on the desktop, and that fixed it, had no problems since, so i can only assume, the massive spiking and dropping the clocks were doing on the desktop when opening and closing stuff, was the cause of the prob.

Don't know, could always try it i guess, if he doesn't do an update or anything :p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

16. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Guest

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    So is this something that can be solved with a Bios/driver update?

I checked the lastest betas readme files. There is no mention about the problem. Actually there is no information from AMD about this problem, which is kinda weird.

If it is , why don't they just fix it? AMD doesn't make a statement, i can't RMA the card. I m just stuck with a $500 brick.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Afterburner will be updated next week :cool:

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Drama queen :p :Djk

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Pmsl :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. les-c

les-c Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 DCU ii
    just got a sapphire 290x 4gb and have been benching all morning. not a single black screen.

the jetstream 770 i got as temp card is up for sale.

love the 290x.. works like a dream and the pq is fantastic :).