Question about RAID

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Dont_shootme182, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Dont_shootme182

Dont_shootme182 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 295
    Hi,

I bought a A8n-Sli Deluxe and 2 Seagate 200 GB SATA HD and was wondering if I plug them as a RAID 0, can I create 2 partitions (one of 60 GB for the OS and programs, 30 GB on each, and one of 340GB, 170GB on each). Also, I was wondering if I should use the Nvidia Raid or the Silicon Image RAID.

Thx

2. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    You can set up the partitions however you want you could have 500 2gb partitions if it pleased you.

As for the NVidia or Silicon Image RAID, I'm not sure. :(

I would assume the NVidia one would be better though.

3. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    once you setup the RAID set (raid0 or raid1 with two drives) the machine will see the drives as one logical unit... then you can partition it how ever you like... I am using the SI raid on my mobo... I tried the NVraid and it seemed to be a little buggy to me... I rebooted once and it split my drive mirrors in two, and there were lags loading things... the SI raid acts more like real hardware raid, as it's not a part of the chipset, it's like having a seperate controller for the RAID stuff... which is how it should be. Hope that helps. :)

PS: if you go RAID0, be sure you backup! if you loose one drive you loose the whole raid set... Just FYI.

4. Dont_shootme182

Dont_shootme182 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 295
    Thx for the info guys. So I'll go with the SI RAID controller. As for backups, I also have a 200GB and 120GB IDE HD that I might use as backups. Is there any chance I could use the 200GB as a mirror to have a RAID 0+1 even if its IDE? Sorry for the newb question but I never used a RAID before.

Thx