Quad Users, will you upgrade to Thuban X6?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by C4ampere, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Eaglewolf4237

Eaglewolf4237 Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 9800GT GDDR3 1GB EE
    you might not want to buy the hexa core right away,like the phenom bug and how the cpu is better and much improved with PII.

2. frizbee

frizbee Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 2GB
    I feel like I'm on lets make a deal... will you keep what you got, or take what's under box #2? I need details before I make a decision.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Thuban is based on K10.5 (Phenom II), so I don't know why you will "freak". Architecturally there aren't any major changes...

deltatux

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Ah, will you be downgrading performance though? Do not forget that an i7 is a 4 core CPU with HT which adds another 4 logical cores and not physical. These are less powerful than a physical core. Also the 6 cores, being all physical, will be built on a 32nm process meaning lower TDP and vcore which means more room for overclocking.

Not saying you should upgrade, as I have the same CPU and I am not going to upgrade now for quite some time to come maybe going to keep this CPU for another 2 years yet.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Last check Thuban is 45nm as well while 32nm AMD processors won't arrive until 2011 when Bulldozer rolls in.

Also, about that, yes, SMT isn't ideal in x86 due to its design. Issue is that if it runs any memory intensive applications, it will degrade performance as opposed to upgrading the experience. Hence, many software developers for these software recommends you disable SMT in these situations. The only multicore solution that works 100% of the time is SMP where you use multiple cores to do your work. Instead of multiple partition of a core to do it.

deltatux

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Nope. I'm now officially poor. Not to mention I doubt I'd see any real gains.

7. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    I'd rather spend my money to upgrade GPU rather than my CPU at this moment

8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Im goin for it. I was really hoping to unlock the 4th core on this proc but it didnt happen. I just want it for the light video encoding I do not to mention it would be double the cores I got now. Im down with that.

9. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    if its faster and great value then yes i will go for a 6core amd build as my new comp. overall saves money and looks cool on windows with 6 cores :D

10. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Any idea if they'll be backwards compatible with AM2+ boards like the x4 chips are? If the 32nm chips are really good overclockers then i'll certainly be tempted by them, even though it's a long time before we'll see any gaming benefits.

11. Titan7170

Titan7170 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290XT 4gb
    yup Ill be testing it out.........any game that uses 4 cores loses about half performance when I shut off 2 cores so quad is definitly a positive.......dont know why people insist on running on 2 core cpus? or say 2 is the same performance as 4.....because its not!

12. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    all i do is game so my set-up will last me a long time.it'll be a long time before 6 cores be used for games. 4 is bearly used really.

only thing i might upgrade down the line is better headsets,headphones and soundcard, but my gpu and cpu will last me for some time now so i'm not too worried

13. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    i bought my Q6600 when it was first released and its only now that quads are really getting any use infact choosing the q6600 over the E6600 that everyone was telling me to get instead was the best move i could of made id of had to upgrad the E6600 ages ago :) , 6 cores is just for now a fashion item, but if i was to be upgrading now i would choose 6 cores over 4 yep.

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    All I can say is that the consumer space software hasn't caught up with the numbers of cores that keep coming out. It's the first time in a long time that software fell behind hardware innovations. It used to be software pushing hardware, now it seems it's the other way around.

deltatux

15. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I'm not really interested in Hexacore CPU's, especially as they will come at lower speeds. Hexacores are really interesting for (scientific) servers, nothing more.

For us, gamers it's not really that relevant yet and for the average consumer, who don't even play games, they're even less important. Maybe with DX11 games more cores will matter but that will be a while and even then higher speeds will, probably, matter more than just more cores.

And Hyper Threading is even less important. It adds absolutely nothing to gaming or the average PC use. In fact, it doesn't even add much to server use either, as the most powerful server (Cray) is an AMD Hexacore one. This is why AMD haven't added Hyper Threading to their CPU's, yet, and have never been that interested.

16. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    I most likely will be purchasing the AMD "Thuban" Six-Core Processor.

Why? My college major requires basically a workstation computer. I would rather go Desktop because it is much cheaper. Intel's 6 core will release earlier than AMD's but it will be 1k+ which is way out of my budget, while I could probably build a desktop with the thuban under a $1000 even with 16gb of ram probably.

It will matter most if the thuban can have a close competition against a i7 (i'd prefer it to be better) than I would go with the thuban. Also being a AMD Fan it would be nice, but if the thuban cant exceed even an i7 920, then i'll build a i7 build so i can upgrade to a gulftown or better when i can make some money.

I always like the ability to upgrade parts without having to switch motherboards, so it will be am3/am2+ thuban or a 1366 i7 920

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It depends what's your program. If you're in software engineering, then you don't even need a Core i7. Core i5 would probably do. Same with networking courses. However if it's something like media arts then probably an i7 is good but a hexacore is still not required.

deltatux

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Why would you choose a overpriced 6 core, when quad cores are just now starting to be used in games? By the time 6 core is accepted, this processer will be long gone.

19. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    true, but again the amd hexacore may be cheaper than the cheapest i7, and that would also be a whole new system build that would be cheaper

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Nobody said anything about over night, but DX 11 is out now. It's only a matter of time before more games use it.

If someone is to build a new PC, Quad core is definitely recommended, as it doesn't cost much more in the long run.

If money is a problem, there are great Phenom II quads to be had.

It will make the road less rocky.