Possible Ryzen 3000 Proc specifications have leaked - up to 16 Cores and 5.1 GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Considering the Duron didn't have the best of reputations, I'd more expect to see the Sempron name brought back first.

If AMD were going to bring the Duron branding back, why would they use Excavator? Would make more sense to stick with Zen or Zen+ Really makes no sense to have products from a single "generation" using 4 different manufacturing processes. On that list, there are 2 processors on 28nm Excavator, 2 on 14nm Zen, 6 on 12nm Zen+ and 14 on 7nm Zen 2.... Any remaining Excavator modules should have been written off and forgotten about. If this product roadmap is accurate, this would be the point where I lose faith in AMD.... They should have no products on 28nm at this point. Even dragging 14nm Zen out at this point makes no sense unless it's strictly to meet any requirements from their deal with GloFo.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I did say "seems" but according to the post below it isn't. When internet is buzzing you can do all but pass on rumors and let people come to their own conclusions. I personally felt it was too good to be true but since we don't have anything confirmed, anything's possible,

Thanks!

3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Indeed, I think it's fair to say we all want it to be true. :)

Now that I've had a day to think on it I wonder if anyone has done the purely physical math? Since we know the rough size of the 7nm cpu chiplet, how well could we fit two of those and a (smaller) IO die under an AM4 heatspreader?

tunejunky likes this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm sure we have at least on clever person here who can find out :D

I hope you're wrong. Would be good for us consumers to have AMD get back some of the lost market shares and for that to happen I think they need to be above Intel for some time.

Jagman and tunejunky like this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Even with a new architecture it would be extremely difficult for Intel to compete against something like this. I continue to think this sounds to good to be true but i could be wrong of course.

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I loved my Duron 600MHz, overclocked so well to 1GHz !
    Such a big OC, only was mildly sad I could not quite hit 100% OC, enjoyed that for a couple of years :)

Jagman likes this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Apple and Qualcomm's pain is AMD gain.

because of (stupid pricing) a softening market for high-end phones, both Qualcomm and Apple are cutting back 2nd tranche 7nm production.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20181205VL201.html

this leaves AMD in the prime position (because of existing contract) of expansion of its entire 7nm production schedule...meaning lower prices for the newest technology and more rapid availability.

this is fantastic news for pc guys, phone guys not-so-much.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    really ? i remember people having Durons in almost legendary status in their mind especially the 800 mhz and 600 mhz models.

Or is it just me .... the cpu's that i consider Legendary ( celeron 300A , Duron 600 , Q6600 ,i7 2600k )

tunejunky, Evildead666 and Humanoid_1 like this.
  9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I've own'ed all of those except the 2600k

Were all good times :)

I remember buying about 5x 300A as they were so cheap, cherry picking the best OC'ers and selling the rest on in systems I built for people. They were all good, but the best ones OC'd to outperform the P II 450 ^^

Jagman, Evildead666 and Venix like this.
  10. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Nothing in that leak seems outlandish to me, amd stated around 20% boost in clock speeds by moving from 12nm to 7nm so 5ghz boost, easily possible on 7nm.

I hope this info is spot on, we'll find out soon enough at ces but it's about time intel lost their dominance and they will be in serious s#@t if this leaked info turns into reality & for that reason alone I hope it does.

All the comments about gamers not needing high core count cpu's, well even the 7700k is all tapped out in bf5 multiplayer and as others have said if the hardware is there then software developers will start using the extra cores. It's because of intel's dominance for years that most games don't need more than 4 cores, because that's all the company ever brought out for the mainstream, apart from the 8700k etc but the majority of their cpu's were 4 core for the mainstream.

So thank god for amd & ryzen being the success it is, otherwise we'd probably still be stuck with intell releasing low core count cpu's and limiting the higher core chips for the hedt market.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    PIII 450 Slot 1 @ 600 with 150MHz fsb. My brother gave me his PII300 when he got a celeron 300A :)

Jagman likes this.
  12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Its not really a bad idea to keep excavator chips around, they are probably intended for things like thin clients, and most importantly they would be very cheap to make on 28nm at this point. I also wouldn't discount the fact that amd put r&d into excavator, that never ended up amounting to any high margin parts since they cancelled the am3+ chips for both steamroller and excavator, they are probably just trying to get as much out of it as possible. The longer they keep making them , and are able to sell them, the better amd can cover the r&d.

Jagman likes this.
  13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm ready :) bring it on AMD , 5.1Ghz is what i heard from some reputable source in the industry ;)

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i have a feeling those might be just left overs ...for specific tasks they are just fine ! web browsing and movies 720&1080p ... hell i got my father an A6400 dual core apu with 4 gigs of ram and then spend like ....a year in the phone explaining him how to use it ((and close up )) and all the time i had to go there to clean up the mess and make it work again ....things of the past ... i deep freezed the crap out of his pc and he is happy and i am happy ! he is watching mostly soccer/football streams on ace stream and sopcast so for an apu i got for 40 euros ...2+years ago it does this job with out problems ....!

Jagman likes this.
  15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD is back where they were with Athlon64 :D

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That was like in 2002-2003, damn.

18. That's right ya whipper snapper all four-score and eleven years ago! :D

19. Krzysztof

Krzysztof Member

GPU:
    MSI RX VEGA56
    If its thats news is true , Intel Die and Cry :)

20. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    New video

Jagman likes this.