Possible Ryzen 3000 Proc specifications have leaked - up to 16 Cores and 5.1 GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Imagine what the PS5 could be. A console port that might not be total Poo :)

2. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800

The year after they could go for higher clocks with 7nm+, and/or some IPC improvement with Zen 3(or Zen2+)

Jagman and Evildead666 like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Remember AMD's 20/20. 20 times power efficiency by year 2020. That's still their goal. So, you are going to get those chips in more power efficient envelope.

Then, AMD is not intel. Intel having 85%+ of consumer market needed to sell a lot to stay where they were. (And they still managed to do that with tiny improvements per generation.)
    For AMD, delivering even 8C/16T power efficient chip is something they can keep selling for long. It is well priced. And therefore good upgrade path for any older AMD's/intel's CPU.
    If 5GHz 12C/24T is real, then count all consumer desktop CPUs to be potentially upgraded to that.
    Imagine 8C/16T at 3.8GHz eating 35~45W and what that does for notebooks where AMD still has only tiny presence.

If any of those "leaks" are close to reality, AMD will ride the storm.

Amigafan35, Embra, BetA and 3 others like this.
  4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm actually pretty optimistic about PS5 ports not being total garbage knowing that they're going to probably use Zen 2/Zen 2+ architecture, likely with 8 cores. I was actually pretty disappointed seeing how ports of PS4 stuff performed beyond 4 threads considering they were designed for 8 core Jaguar CPUs. That was really strange to see.

One thing I wasn't surprised about was seeing games run better in DX12 mode than in DX11 mode on Ryzen. On my 4770K it was the opposite, boo for 4 cores.

With the way things the hobbyist PC industry is going, we just might end up using PS5s for gaming. I ain't paying the price of a used car for a Titan RTX.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm optimistic in the way that the PS5 ports should actually be good (i hope I don't jinx it).
    It should look like one of the Ryzen3/5 G chips, yeah, maybe 4/8 or 8/8.
    Im not a console person at all, so even if PS5 is great, i'll still have my PC :)

6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Something nags at me about the potential of the Zen 2 chiplets overall.

Since the chiplet itself is just the cores and cache, no IO or uncore stuff, would it be possible to completely disable/enable a full chiplet on the fly? I realize Game Mode does something akin to this but it seems more complicated due to the additional silicon inside each chip and not an on-the-fly option.

There must be OS support obviously but for most work I imagine there could be potentially huge power savings to be made by an entire chiplet while browsing or doing other, relatively trivial stuff. Same goes for APUs or the like, essentially the IO die/chiplet would be the only one requiring to be consistently powered up, right?

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Actually i disagree if those rumors are true is exactly what they have and should do ! And my reasoning for that is ... we seem to be in some kind of wall on ipc improuvement and frequency no more gains from frequency we are at the ceiling ...maybe someone will be able to push 5.5 ghz ((most likely intel)) and still seems very hard 5ghz it seems to be the "soft" wall , now amd was on the ropes for a while but for the first time in a decade they have competitive performance core to core mhz to mhz still a bit behind but on breath distance and that might be gone ..... also the 7nm of tsmc is about the same as the upcoming 10nm from intel the 14nm from tsmc is more or less 20nm finfet so intel still has superior fab.....but this time amd is ahead on what they can offer and they can produce in mass and they can deliver 8 16 32 64 cores while it costs a lot less than intel to do so ! so for once they have the advantage there and they should use it while they still can waiting for intel to catch up will not be wise because intel will catch up, we all know it they did it in the past vs A64 and A64x2 and the strike back was brutal so they should keep striking and make fat profits while they can grab some market share as much as possible and get change peoples perspective about em people think amd as 2nd class cpus ..... poor people cpus or cheap alternative ... i am pretty sure amd want people to think of em as high end and not cheap alternative .

edit: ((i swear i never thought it will be that long :p )) and to finish i think it will be better for amd to end up giving the max number of cores they can and wait for intel to catch up than climb at the same rate as em on the core count better fight em ipc wise up there while having the core advantage as long as they can

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Jagman likes this.
  8. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Meanwhile on Intels 10nm :

First i3-8121U 10nm Review:
    https://www.zhihu.com/question/277156338
    [​IMG]

So look like Intel was counting on their advance Fabs to keep making same CPU design and just adding few MHZ for each new "GEN" (6700K/7700K/8700K/9900K), so looks like they got caught with their pants down ;-).

9. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Well here is what we do know so maybe you can extrapolate some confirming info from it.
    Vital stats
    AMD Zen 2 release date
    AMD confirmed at November’s Next Horizon event that the Zen 2 processors had begun sampling, as promised, this year and is set to hit the market in 2019. We’re expecting the mainstream desktop parts to land in March or April 2019.

AMD Zen 2 specs
    Early engineering samples have gone out into the wild, sporting the same eight-core, 16-thread design as the current top chips, but with 4GHz base and 4.5GHz boost clocks. Though the architecture does allow for the doubling of core density…

AMD Zen 2 architecture
    AMD is introducing a new chiplet design, mixing the 7nm CPU silicon from the 14nm I/O chip. TSMC’s 7nm architecture alone allows for either half the power at the same performance, or more than 25% extra performance within the same power envelope, and AMD is promising up to twice the throughput of its last gen CPU.

AMD Zen 2 performance
    Early performance rumors have pegged the Zen 2 processors that are currently doing the rounds as delivering a 13% IPC performance boost over and above the existing Zen+ processors of the second-gen Ryzen range. That’s on a clock-for-clock basis, so with expected higher frequency chips that IPC hike could improve a good bit more.

10. chrislondon

chrislondon Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    It strange to be excited about a CPU launch, isn’t?

Though there will only be a preview of Zen 2 at CES, not a proper product launch (like last year). I don’t expect it to be available before Computex (n.b. previous leak put the launch of X570 at Computex - it is hard to imagine AMD launching a new gen of processors without a new chipset, especially if the PCIE 4 rumours are true + Rome is expected to launch first).

Which is why I think the leak seems a bit fishy even though the clock speeds and TDP look legit (aren’t we too far from launch to have such exact information?) Pricing seems a bit too aggressive to me, but I am not going to complain.

I personally expect AMD to close the gap in single-threaded performance with better power efficiency than intel, but I don’t think they can pull ahead significantly. Multi-threaded performance should be great, though at higher core counts memory bandwidth will be a problem. It will be interesting to see how the chiplet design affects performance. But I do think in games having more than 8 cores (and SMT) are a liability, not an advantage. The 3600x will be a great processor for gaming.

Navi looks a bit boring to me. By the time it launches the 1080 Ti will be close to 2 years old, but if this leak is correct, even the top tear Navi won’t be able to match it. A 15% performance gain against Vega 64 in 2 years seems lacklustre too. Although pricing will be nice, no one with a Vega/GTX 1070 or better will buy one. But a card with 2 Navi chips could be interesting.

11. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I hope most of it ends up being true. R7 3600 looks very good to me.:D

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    There's a ton of performance complaints from people running 4 threaded CPU's such as the 6600K on BFV forums/reddit and Hilberts testing also shows it: it's 6 threads or get out in BF V. I'm kind of hoping this trend continues into other games.

My performance in BF V (that 5820K finally reminded me why I choose 6 cores instead of 4 with higher IPC) is fine so I'm holding off on the 9900K upgrade and waiting for next gen Ryzen. If the IPC improvements are there, it's time to go back to AMD since ... forever, my last AMD was one of those first dual core CPU's.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm holding off excitement for verified performance data, but at this point I'm expecting to upgrade to R5 3600 or R5 3600X in the summer. Doesn't matter much whether they're 6c/12t parts or 8c/16t parts. There should be a reasonable performance improvement either way. I could quite easily stretch my R5 1600 another year though....

Killian38 likes this.
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I would be in for a 6/12 CPU @ 5+ GHZ for my next upgrade after seeing all the games that actually run better on it, but don't see or barely see any game or game engines that really uses more than that...

I think Crysis can go up to 8 threads?

But good for the market!

Edit... seems the 3600 is already at 8 cores and a 12 core nearly at 5 GHZ from TPU:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I kinda doubt the picture above, for a couple reasons, mostly, the duron.....i mean, it'd be cool...i guess? to bring the duron back? But still lol

But also, dual socket support for threadripper? Seems like it'd cannibalize Epyc processors.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Numbers seem about right, considering 5.1GHz is a boost on single core.
    I wouldn't be so optimistic about breaking 5GHz barrier with ALL cores.

I am more interesting to see how better Zen 1 and 2 compares clock to clock.

17. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Even if the secs come out to be true, i highly doubt the price would be that low. Coz, it is 7nm from TSMC for frak sake.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Although I'm still sceptical the leaks we see here are hard truth... 3600GX? 3800X Black Edition? Whoah. I want benchies!

19. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Maybe but this is unofficial better to wait few months and see the real product.

20. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    No need for excusing

The Reeferman likes this.