PlayStation 5 sold 7.8 million times to date

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sony released some numbers showing they sold 7.8 million units of PlayStation 5 ever since its release last year, the company said in its quarterly figures. In the past three months, 3.3 million PlayS...

PlayStation 5 sold 7.8 million times to date

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Looking forward to getting a PS5, however, I will wait for its next iteration. By that time hopefully, the prices will settle down and availability will be increased.

Maddness likes this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah, i am aslo waiting until the PSVRII appears, so i am in no hurry for the PS5 even if i could get one. ha

4. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Supply and demand channels and for the PS5 are screwed up because they can't manufacture them fast enough for people to buy it due to the shift in habits brought on by the pandemic. Consumers are slowly getting them while flower and bootlace eBay companies are scalping them.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Scalpers aren't the main problem, the main problem is the bots they use to buy up any stock way before any normal buyer has a chance to even buy one.

5 months i have searched for a disk version PS5 and 5 months i've not seen a single one in stock.

6. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    After trying to get a PS5 for 7 months i just gave up, scalpers had the vast majority it seems and i'll never do that, i saw one being sold on ebay one day after release going for £25,000. It was all so easy when the PS4 came around and no problem getting a pre order but i got to say this PS5 experience has been pretty shocking.

7. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I have had multiple opportunities to get a PS5 online but I refuse to buy a cash grab bundle to get one. I just want a disc version and a controller; no other bullshit bundled with it. I will wait till they hit retail stores or by then the pro version will be announced.

8. Denpepe

Denpepe Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    Despite their sales nr's I still consider the PS5 (and the series x for that matter) a paper launch since you can't go to a store and buy one.

The closest I got to buying one was on online retailer where I am on a notify me list that sent me a message saying we got some and we give priority to people on the notify me list, but you are too far back on said list to get one this time, that was on march 03 nothing anywhere since.

From the sales nr's I could find online, it seems north America got almost double the amount of consoles compared to Europe so yeah.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is alot paper launch cause there alot thing you cant find since launch

10. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Walmart USA...out of stock...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PlayStation-5-Video-Game-Console/363472942

Best Buy USA...out of stock...https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-5-console/6426149.p?skuId=6426149

Newegg got some!...shall I order one for you?

PS5.png

World population = 7.8 billion
    PS5's Sold = 7.8 million
    1 out of every 1 thousand people have one....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    SplashDown likes this.

11. Denpepe

Denpepe Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    North American population 370 760 037
    European population 748 011 801
    PS5 sold in NA 2.47Million
    PS5 sold in Europe 1.73 Million

Those nr are from feb 22,
    allocation seems way off if you ask me

Kosmoz likes this.
  12. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I'm in the states go ahead and buy mine I don't want it ...........

Airbud likes this.
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    And hopefully by then it won't have RAM on the back on fire.

cryohellinc likes this.
  14. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    The world is running out of sand. There is a global pandemic, manufacturing is not at 100% capacity (due to more reasons than just one). Distributors, producers, semiconductor makers, whomever you may want to describe them as (OEMs) have had large segments of their workforces working from home for some time now. While "one" can automate workflow(s) and this is the case for many right now, it isn't as effective as a full staff. Still a portion of things these days are automated but you'd be surprised how much still needs human input within a Fab. The specifics of which I'd hope are self-explanatory to those here that would claim they know, to those that don't Google can answer that to an extent if you research it but for the sake of this post, I won't go further to that end. (vivid detail would go against my NDA).

So, in summary - there's a multitude of contributing factors (far more than just "one" thing) it has affected many and COVID could not have come at a less ideal time; that's not to make light of the virus nor to insinuate there's ever a "good" or "acceptable" time. It is only to say that the circumstances - on a global scale were already becoming bad. I would note that while scalping affects things, it doesn't as much as supply chain & other problems as they far limit challenges posed by bots & scalpers. Specifically, demand is higher than what can be supplied & those who are purchasing what is being produced (within certain markets - such as the consumer electronics one) are spending copious amounts of cash to ensure access to an already limited "HEDT" supply (among other enthusiast products). In normal circumstances, supply would far outweigh that demand, and the aforementioned problem would be less of an issue as there'd be more product(s) to outweigh the demand-craze going on. Anyway - nothing is as simple as "this one thing - or this one that thing" it's all compounded by several issues.

I cannot possibly cover all of them and have just touched on a few here. For instance, TSMC supposedly has the majority of their fab space on orders for Apple. I mention this to illustrate how Sony may want to create more PS5's but for example, many companies share the same fabs at certain times (NVIDIA) working with Samsung for the current Ampere gen (I believe) just an example I'm not claiming Sony is running lots out of TSMC I'm just illustrating the concepts here. I read a lot of very ... how to say "angry comments" about "why can't I buy my video card I want it now" many of these companies also have contracts with original equipment designers as well they have to honor and meet within the service level agreement quotas or timeframes so there's that too... there's the business sector (the enterprise sector etc) everyone still needs their slice(s). Anyways. I'm outtie'

Also if you are curious what sand has to do with anything check this out:

These are my personal opinions, not a statement representing any organization.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  15. GeroniMonk

GeroniMonk Member

GPU:
    RX6700xt
    I haven't even seen one IRL.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I want one but i can wait.

Although the sheer size of it is putting me off, i wonder if there are plans for a slmi version...

17. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    And meantime was sold 10x more or so gaming pcs.. unless someone will hack it to enable full blown Linux or Windows on it, its just good for children and users which like simpler user experience and yeah few hardcore games, which must play few exclusive good games.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You should have pre-ordered at any point and you would have one at MSRP. Waiting for stock is mistake.
    Bot can enter pre-order queue too, but it is pointless as human can do same. And it does not allow multiple orders for same person within same batch/month.
    Simply imagine 300 bots being 1st in queue and then 10,000 people after it. 6,000 units get available. Bot get 300 units and 5,700 people get their console.
    Bots immediately order again, but they have to wait till remaining 4,000 people in front of them are served.

19. Denpepe

Denpepe Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    unfortunatelly none of the stores I frequent over here allow preorders, heck one store even had so few of the consoles of the initial batch that they sold them via lottery system tied to social media postings.

20. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3