Performance > Tuning > Add Game Profile

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Dec 26, 2019.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder if overclocking could be a bit of a changing concept for that matter, assuming AMD pushes RDNA2 closer to how Zen2 and the CPU side is doing things then the cards numerous sensors and a higher update rate would basically be scaling itself numerous times each second and you basically just set a power level for how much it can flex it's performance with some advanced overrides potentially being possible but diminishing returns.

We'll see, GPU's aren't the same as CPU's either and convenient as it would make certain things the hardware isn't intelligent or smart or anything (It operates as programmed to.) so just setting a preferred boost speed and voltage and having the GPU do it's thing isn't really feasible it'll just hit something unstable and crash. :p

Will be interesting to see how that changes in a few years and what the newer hardware will do, AMD's definitively using the sensors and all the info to regulate a ton of stuff both good and bad so I expect RDNA2 to at least contain some changes for the GPU's under this process in response to user feedback and experiences like the way the GPU is drastically downclocking in response to who knows how many different variables and conditions but then the cards have firmware and are very flexible so software micro code updates and driver overrides can also alter behavior for existing hardware and have done so before so that's not exclusive to Navi either. :)

Well just some random thoughts about it, third party programs for now though until AMD's OverDrive API and Wattman software is robust enough to actually operate close to the expected settings hah.
    (Still works though but it's a bit of a thing when setting up a profile whether for overclocking or undervolting but testing and monitoring generally gives a good overview and what needs to be adjusted if anything.)

2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I basically took time off from my PC since they were released to recharge as I was getting burned out. Since the the 2020 driver was released. Trying to read everything and catch up and respond where I can. Give me some time.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman

I just gone back to wattman after using MSI A/B and it now overclocks properly. It's doing well over 2030Mhz OC now where before I was 1970+ I wonder if afterburner erase saved startup settings (or whatever the proper term is) helped the situation?
    I have to also wonder if that registry is left to whatever the last setting was even if you uninstall and reinstall another driver? Because I recall having no issues in OC with 19.11.x.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It can, a full driver cleanup and going via DDU is actually recommended because the power play settings can be stored in the registry and even if a driver update sets Wattman to a defaulted state it can still be going with some existing data so saving profiles and comparing and using that for reference can help or just ensure this info is deleted or overwritten either via uninstall or tools like More Power or Afterburner to be certain it won't be a problem. :)

It does also apply when bios switching IE the Pulse I use has the same ID's even if the names slightly different so if you set up a driver and more so if using Wattman and then switch bios profiles chances are the results are...nothing.
    Normally this would default the settings but with the same ID used they're preserved as the drivers don't pick up any differences thus another case where either forcing the settings (More Power and loading the bios data that way.) or clearing the existing settings. (Afterburner and just going with clearing out the saved settings that way.)

From the Igors Lab review of the 5700XT Pulse which notes this little quirk but yeah it can be resolved but it also confirms these stored values can be a problem even if here it's not a breaking issue but it does hamper the bios switching which is not exactly ideal.

Basic driver uninstall leaves some data behind though it cleans the majority of the common files and registry data but AMD's new cleanup tool or DDU which I expect does a even better job makes sure it's all removed and then you only really have to double check and be aware of potential driver side issues like the way the fan curve is more of a stepping and how some values can differ slightly more with Adrenaline 2020 or might require loading or reloading the saved Wattman profile so some comparison and testing can be helpful to make sure it's all working but it sounds like things are doing well now with that.

https://www.techpowerup.com/257393/...-custom-softpowerplay-table-registry-mod?cp=2

Which links to this:

https://www.igorslab.de/ungefesselt...playtables-fuer-die-rx-5700-und-rx-5700-xt/3/

It's in German for the link leading to the Igors Lab article but the paths and such are easy enough to spot and can be compared against and checked or modified though short of clearing the data I'd probably just go with third party tools or Wattman itself and not use a premade reg file directly but it's handy for checking how this is all set and where it's being stored plus well cleaning it out for troubleshooting purposes if ever required which never really hurts because it should just be a reboot and back to defaults after that. :D
    (Plus the bad situation of the driver acting up and storing unstable settings which is definitively not good so clearing these out should be fine though backing it up beforehand might also be a good idea just before tampering in the Windows registry which after all is a more advanced bit of work.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Eastcoasthandle and LocoDiceGR like this.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman

That's very interesting insight to this. I can only hope they can address this with a toggle option of some sort in the future. This is really an important aspect to overclocking the card.

Edit:
    Can now confirm that there are no odd fps dips while gaming now using wattman.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah from a quick look it seems there's two PP values in the registry at least the soft table override as per above sometimes used to increase default limits and what looks to be a setting for the defaults as read from bios which when emptied is also repopulated on reboot which after comparison there are differences when flipping the GPU bios switch so it does write in a number of GPU parameters here. There's also a string for the bios itself identifying it which I presume will also force a update of this other registry value if there are changes to how the bios is identified and once a new driver is out I'll also be testing if this is reset on driver update.

So there's a possible setting for customized values but based on what the GPU itself has so it's not like one can only store a additional increase to the power slider and then a secondary value possibly from Adrenaline 2019 with what looks like defaults from the graphics cards bios plus wherever the data from Wattman ends up stored both for files and the registry somewhere.

EDIT: Which means that if something acts up then yeah I'm not 100% on how it all works but emptying these out or having a way to reset from within Wattman ensuring these are clean could be a good addition for troubleshooting.

Normally it should reset on GPU driver crashes and such at least part of the settings and GPU changes would invalidate the string for the bios identifier and also reset these.

But things can happen so knowing it's there might be helpful and it sounds like it's working pretty well in how the card is behaving now. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    No the quirks I've had related to the mouse cursor showing up corrupted and the "spinner" or loading icon for said mouse cursor showing inverted colors both of which were resolved in Adrenaline 2020, display cursor corruption was less frequent but only also covered the right half of the screen so when moving the cursor to the left half it showed up normally.

I have read about green screens and a washed out appearance though plus issues with HDR though I believe that to be a separate issue that may or may not also be related to various FreeSync problems although those in turn can also be due to the very open interpretation of certain standards. (The recent news really should just have deprecated the old and made FreeSync and FreeSync Premium if the display device manufacturers can not adhere to certain standards then those simply have to be enforced.)

Part of what made me curious if a proper Display Port cable could make a difference, not much so far though but it's a good investment over something that came bundled with a earlier Samsung I think monitor near a decade back. :D
    (You either get signal or don't and the cable itself doesn't really have versions but the cheaper stuff can have build flaws especially port or pin 20 being live which while rare can actually risk hardware damage as I'm understanding it.)

Second part is to simply get a newer more modern display also adding in 120+ Hz leaving 60hz at last and what not, seems LG has a fairly good alternative out but that's not happening yet and things can change for 2020 too for what's available and coming out in the near future.

Wonder if the EDID values or the settings for the display in Catalyst Next might be acting up a bit, I usually have to set it manually instead of automatic at least for the color temp or the reds are way too strong though that's just a simpler tuning option unlike the entire gamma value seemingly blowing up or what might happen here if the entire screen turns dim or gray-ish looking or how it might take effect depending on what gets affected by that issue.

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman

Hmm, I've read that disabling HDCP helps with the mouse issue. But it also effected key input as well but not as noticeable unless you did a lot of typing. IE: Delayed letters on screen after typing them on the keyboard.

Radeon Software > Settings > Display > Overrides > HDCP Support Disabled.
    Reboot.

But as for the color/screen issue I bet your right about the EDID. For some reason it's not matured on this branch as it was in the other branch.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I think the HDCP support should have been resolved in one of the 19.8.x drivers although a lot of users reported increased instability with those and then 19.9.x was OK as was the sets at least up to 19.12.1 for most of the in-game stability problems and weird behavior although I still don't have much info on what could truly be behind the two black screen problems one for in-game at load and one for idle. :)

Display signal and the monitor hardware could be how some users found the advanced overrides along with HDCP to be a possible solution though but tinkering with these should see some glitches instead of signal failure so no idea.
    Green screen issue I think came up a lot when reinstalling or updating the driver in particular but 19.9.x I think listed something for fixing a possible cause of these?

Although that does leave however this gamma issue could be caused as possibly something in the newer drivers or another rare issue that's going to be tougher to track as well.
    I've learned a bit but it also just shows how complex this all is and how much changes or doesn't quite apply or just wrong either overall or for newer software or the hardware itself.
    (Unsurprisingly but yeah it does complicate things for users when settings don't quite work as expected or the GPU does things like these dips and also equally importantly the spikes just to name that as one thing.)

Didn't NVIDIA users also have something like that gamma issue a while back, especially in fullscreen and it just lost the monitor or desktop default calibrated values but I do know it was later resolved and I don't fully recall the specific problem but something like the stock profile or calibration values being dropped or overriden until added back or the system was restarted again. Might be a different thing here though but just something I recalled.
    (Probably worse for those who have taken time to add a proper hardware calibrated display profile as losing that would be pretty noticeable.)

EDIT: The ICC was it? (Yay for remembering a ton of different terms and acronyms hah, well easy enough to look up and yeah I think that was it.)

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman
    I thought about that and wanted you to try something to see if it would help.
    At start menu type Advance System Settings
    Go to Advance Tab
    Performance Settings button
    Advance Tab (just move the popup screen to the side for now)
    Now I want you to startup Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
    Take note of: Win32PrioritySeparation
    Is it set to 26 or 2 in hexadecimal? If it's set to 2 it's stuck in regedit as some sort of manual override. Go back to Advance tab and select the radial toggle for Background Services. Then select the radial toggle for Programs and hit the Apply Button. Refresh Regedit (View > Refresh). If it's set to 2 it should change back to 26 without you having to manually input it yourself. Reboot the PC. Then try playing a game, etc. and give it a few days to see if things improve or not.

I'll admit this fixes other quirks with background services set to the forefront but I figured it should help with the mouse problem as well.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Jackalito and JonasBeckman like this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm interesting, thought the two were fairly identical but I need to read up some more on that. :)
    There are some underlying changes after all between the various values primarily.

2 or 26 or 38 - Default (Programs) and then Programs settings.
    18 or 24 - Background

EDIT: This was linked to as well from the reading I was doing on the subject but seems incredibly in-depth but also quite complex on how it all kinda works.
    https://www.cs.uic.edu/~jbell/CourseNotes/OperatingSystems/5_CPU_Scheduling.html

(Well yeah scheduling for processors and priorities would be a complex thing. :D )

EDIT: Ah and those masks must be what this also goes into.
    https://medium.com/@dikrek/processo...ndows-and-a-bit-about-unix-linux-fb5ab02828e2

Even links back to a topic on these forums on the subject.
    So that'd be something like changing it from fixed to variable going from default of 2 to 26 then.
    (Definitively some reading and testing to be done with this, interesting!)

EDIT: Though input might be unaffected entirely as it falls under a separate handling for how this works as I understand it.

But there's a lot of reading to be done here. :D

EDIT: Also need to check how this does combine with the latest Windows 10 updates also adjusting CPU scheduling which make have gone even further in 20H1 or maybe it hasn't since 1909 or 1903 with the November 2019 cumulative which includes that modification to the system as a unlisted change.

Plus AMD's own changes via the power config they're supplying though different from this but it might work well in tandem due to the faster rate it's adjusting for.
    (Which is kinda hard to follow but it seems to be sitting around 4.5 to 4.6 Ghz when under load so boosting nicely I'd say down to 4.2 when under less demanding situations and well whenever something actually can fill all cores I guess the value for that will be something too. :p )

Bit different from this though, reactivity responsiveness scheduling priorities and...yeah some reading required here I have a lot to learn and try to get some insight into it seems ha ha.
    (And how it might or might not fit in all together plus we're getting into GPU and other components as well perhaps and changes like the hardware scheduler for 20H1 though AMD's current GPU drivers don't support that yet for now.)

Should make for a fun test at least and seeing if it's possible to tune things maybe a bit more CPU and OS software wise and how that all gets handled. :)
    (The rest well it'll follow in it's own way. :D )

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman
    26 is the hexidecimal while 38 is the decimal value.
    The problem is that if you look at the advance tab it should be defaulted at program which is Win32PrioritySeparation 26 (hexa) and 38 (decimal). From the get go. But it was changed in the registry even though the radial buttons reflect default values. By toggling them it reverts back to the way it was.

I don't know what 2 actually does but you cannot select it again if you toggle the radial buttons in the advance settings. Which is what most of us would do anyway. The background option is more for servers (printing, network adapter, etc).

Jackalito and JonasBeckman like this.