PC Won't boot anymore

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mx4life, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    Heya guys!

So my PC*specs on the left* won't boot up anymore. It will POST, then tries to load windows, then halfway the loading the bar of the loading stops and for 0.5 seconds it shows a BSOD and then it reboots again!

Yesterday the system asked to do a system/disk control. It asked to do this on a boot up, the first it asked the I canceld it. Because I didn't had the time for it, but later on I decided to let it do its thing, and after it completed 3 out of 3 steps and it said it was on 99% done. It rebooted and now it can't load into windows anymore..

I tried to start it on the normal way, in safe-mode and I tried to start it with the last known working configurations. I also entered the windows Vista disc, but that doesn't really help!

Is my HDD done or is there anyway I can save my music and photo's?

Thanks in Advance!

2. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Try repairing from the CD ? :S Dunno really it's weird with windows. Maybe try running memtest too

3. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    99% of the time it's just logic errors, if the disk has some problem you could see a SMART bad on the bios when it loads (disable fast boot and logo image on bios to have more time to see)
    It's strange nonetheless that safe mode won't finish booting.

What you could do (i do it a lot to recover clients os full of virus) is to load ubuntu live cd, it's very useful, you will have a full system running, can check internet for help, and also you can try to mount the drive, make a new partition (without data loss) and try to read the data from the old partition to new, then you format the old partition, and reinstall os there.

Of course this is only if you can't recover from windows normal procedures, it's less troublesome than a full format, and very comfortable to just move the data you want to the recovery partition.

4. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    Already tried to repair it with the Windows CD/DVD. It didn't work.

When I try to run it in safe mode. It gets to C://Windows/system32/crcdisk.sys, or something like that. And after that it just reboots itselfs after some loading..

But i'm 99% sure that Windows did it itselfs, especially because it failed after that Windows tried to repair something.

If anyone has anymore suggestions let me know.

And Ieldra and Markgpl, thanks for the suggestions!

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    when booting, press F8 and tell the system to not reboot when it encounters an error. Once it blue screens, write down what the error is and post back what the error is.

deltatux

6. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    lol this rarely works but its worth a true.
    Last known good configuration :p

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    ya, it does help, but for most situations it might not, but it won't hurt to try in most cases.

deltatux

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    If that doesn't work, zero the drive and start over. That got me out of a few odd situations.

9. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    Already tried to start it with last known configurations. Didn't work :/

I am gonna post back later on today with the BSOD error!

I'd rather not format the HDD, because I have my music collection on it..

Thanks for the help

10. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    If you need to save your music, either put the HDD in another PC and copy it over, or, do as Mark said and load Ubuntu, a Linux release. It loads from the CD and installs to RAM. Does not touch the HDD until you want it to.

11. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    +1 for live CD

12. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    I am downloading Ubuntu as we speak!

I pressed F8 on start up, but it won't get me in the Menu where I can choose to not restart after an error. So i can't get a good look at the BSOD error:bang:

But does Ubuntu has a partition software installed? Or how can I make a new partition whilst i'm running Ubuntu?

Again thanks for the help everyone!

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Oh ya, I think that no reboot option is only available on WINNT 6.0+.

As for Ubuntu, you don't need to install Ubuntu (you used to have to). It'll just work with just the CD. Actually I recommend Knoppix as a LiveCD since it's a lot more powerful ... or maybe just because I absolutely hate Ubuntu. I'd also recommend MEPIS as well because both MEPIS and KNOPPIX are great LiveCDs.

deltatux

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  14. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    Oh wait, I tryed running from the Windows DVD, and then it said press F8 for extra options. The option was hidden there ;)

So the BSOD is:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag or back up utilities. Check your hard drive blablablabla

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190444, 0x85e2bee8, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280

16. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
  17. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Or you can download Hiren's boot CD and load Mini XP.

18. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    So, i'm typing this from my own PC instead of my sis her laptop!

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a *free, linux based?* partition software? So I can make a new partition, install Vista on that, back-up my important stuff on a external HDD and then format my own HDD and start with a fresh Vista installation?

edit; Or do you guys think it is best for me to just back-up my music and other stuff to an external HDD. Format my normal HDD and just copy back the stuff from the external HDD?

Solution #2 is probally the easier way isn it?

Thanks again for al the great help guys!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    For partitioning I use gparted for GNOME based distros like Ubuntu or QTParted for KDE based distros like MEPIS and KNOPPIX.

deltatux

20. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    So, I orderd a WD Elements 1 TB yesterday, and it came in today.

After I had formatted it to NTFS, the back-upping could begin!
    I'm almost done with my music and pics etc. But I was wondering if there is a way to get my Mozilla Saved Passwords.

Can I just back-up some files from the Mozilla folder? Or am I gonna need a special tool for this?

Thanks in Advance