NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, GSYNC Compatible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    This is bad news for AMD. Freesync screens were far more numerous and far cheaper than Gsync screens, despite Nvidia boasting some 70-80% of the gaming video card market. So, there would have been people who liked the AMD side because they could actually afford a screen with adaptive sync. Furthermore, if they already had a Freesync screen, they would be somewhat more likely to stick to AMD. Nvidia's decision to support only their own Gsync this long is because they had such a giant market share and maintaining the strict policy brought them money directly from screen manufacturers who wanted to have Gsync. But practically speaking they were voluntarily limiting themselves out of some potential market, so this move was something that could have happened at any time. Ironically enough this turned the tables because now Nvidia video card owners can use great many more screens, but there's no way for AMD to support existing Gsync screens. But at least Gsync screens will most likely become even more scarce in the future. However, a screen can work for many years.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh, we might never know how much influence AMD and / or Intel has exercised in VESA.

Maddness likes this.
  3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yes, you could be right there. Anyway, it's good news for those with Nvidia cards and a freesync monitor or those thinking of buying a new monitor. Gives everyone more choice and that can't be bad.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I bought an Acer XG270HU 1440p 144hz screen last year. As I exclusively use v-sync off, then, this news is welcome, but, doesn't affect me at all.

It was definitely coming as we've known "freesync" was made a part of the vesa standard for a while now. I can only see this as a positive for Nvidia and it's users.

Long-term, we'll basically see both AMD and Nvidia logos on most monitor products. It's a similar change to the market to when motherboards went from being sli or crossfire exclusive to supporting both standards. Business as usual.

emperorsfist and Maddness like this.
  6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Now that all three support Adaptive Sync things got easy. No need to worry about compatibility in the future. However, it's probably best to buy properly certified screens since most Adaptive Sync screens are trash.

7. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Will they add support to older cards or just 2xxx and later? I hope that older cards will be included as well. There shouldn't really be a reason to not include them (especially since they already branded Adaptive Sync as "Gsync" on laptops for their Pascal lineup), unless it is to boost sales of their 2xxx cards.

In any case, it will be good being able to buy a monitor independent of the video card brand one uses.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Pascal based 10 series are included, not sure about Maxwell though.

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/
    It says in that article 10 and 20 series. My best guess is that Maxwell is either left behind or a "use at your own risk" thing.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's not like any of the Maxwell cards could show any muscle in RTX scenarios.... maybe the older Titans, but I wouldn't guess anything else before Pascal's top end cards even makes sense to run.
    It would be much easier to use and make more sense if they'd introduce DLSS for older cards. Much, much more useful.

11. mgilbert

mgilbert Member

GPU:
    16 GB DDR3
    If Nvidia ever takes this a few steps further, and allows Freesync to work on all Freesync monitors without first having to approve said monitors, and then lowers their obscene prices, AMD is going to have a serious problem. AMD is competing well in the CPU market, but not in the high end video card segment. Come on AMD, get off your duffs and build us some higher end video cards!

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hmm, I guess I will just set aside some time for testing after the Jan 15 driver comes out. I sure hope I can use the Freesync capabilities of my TV with my 1080Ti, that would make this TV a superb buy.
    Yeah, I've done that plenty in the past and recent past. Do you not feel the micro stuttering or bad frame pacing? I've tried in games like GTAV, Wildlands, Witcher 3, Stardew Valley, Trine, Diablo 3, Dying Light among others and really was only mostly usable in Dying Light and one other game that escapes me. I hope this new driver+my recent TV+1080Ti play nicely enough to use some of this VESA VRR goodness.

Maddness likes this.
  13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They allow all Adaptive Sync monitors. Untested and those that they think offer subpar support have VRR disabled by default. User can then manually enable VRR.

Maddness likes this.
  14. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Oh nice, hope it works as it should. I didnĀ“t want to buy gsync monitor just cause of the prize tag, so maybe now i can get alot more out of my 144hz freesync.

Maddness likes this.
  15. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    about time.
    Gsync just has to die, its expensive, its not needed, it can cause problems.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    just because you are microstutter insensitive does not mean it is not there.

And no. Tripple buffering in windowed mode / fast-syncing on borderless can't remove microstutter. That deals inly with tearing.

You can reduce microstutter by good frame pacing, but that's not always an option as some games will ignore attempts to do so.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  17. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    No, I don't feel any micro stutter or maybe I'm not sensitive to micro stutter, but you should consider that, for example, locked 60 fps without any fluctuation feels always better than variable fps between 40 to 80 fps with Adaptive sync. no matter what Adaptive sync technology you use, locked fps is always the best way to play a game.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    What does RTX have to do with FreeSync?

19. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    LOL

gsync customers are not so happy

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I disagree, you're saying that because you have not tried it. Being able to shoot above 60 when you're able to, and drop below every now and then with VRR is MUCH better.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    BuildeR2 likes this.