NVIDIA Tegra 4 will have 6x more Shader cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    An interesting tidbit of news appeared on the web. Tegra 3 the current SoC from NVIDIA used in mobile phones has 12 shader cores. At CES the Tegra 4 will be announced, but Chiphell has posted some int...

NVIDIA Tegra 4 will have 6x more Shader cores

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If that's true, it might be more powerful than xbox :D
    Also, 300mpix/s imaging speed might allow continuous shooting, similar as in SGS3 but better. We'll wait and see how it performs. Too bad that Ouya console utilizes Tegra 3 and not 4.

When thinking about it more rationally, I wonder if such graphics power is really useful. I think that people don't play games that much with their phones. The only real benefit I can see would be high-speed camera support and ability to utilize bigger screens in a comfortable way. On the other hand so good APU might be useful for all-around purposes - if they manage to manufacture it at low cost, Tegra 4 might be good for virtually any media device - smart phones, tablets, so-called Smart TV, DVR's, HTPC, simple game console, image processor for digital cameras, and many more.

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    but can it play crysis.? :banana:

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    it will burn your hands 1st.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. First of all, if this ends up using more power for these additional features then this chip just sounds like nvidia wants the performance crown but otherwise doesn't care about what the consumer thinks. That being said, I don't think there are ANY programs right now that can take advantage of such processing power. I kinda got the impression that systems that use tegra 3, the GPU is far from the slowest component.

Perhaps this is more geared toward tablets than phones, though.

6. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I'm thinking this is a tablet intended chip too.
    Capable of those resolutions, how many people want to be limited to a < 5" screen.

If the price is right and the timing is good i'll be getting exactly this.
    A tegra 4 enabled tablet with a great IPS screen.

I don't know about you guys, but i want to see more tablet ready MMOs of all types.
    The few i've seen suck. And i say this, because of my new line of work, I often get hours of nothing going on. Tired of lugging the laptop around.

My laptop is getting too heavy to carry because i downloaded too much stuff. (+5 points if you get the reference)