Nvidia Drops Q4 Revenue Expectation by $0.5B

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2019.

1. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    This isn't good news for anyone. Certainly not for shareholders. First Intel and now Nvidia. We haven't seen AMD's yet and i doubt there's is going to be much better. Are we headed for another world recession, God i hope not.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Serves them right!

Please, stay calm. If greed wasn't the main business strategy objective for nVidia and Intel, this scenario would probably have been avoided. If you charge outrageous prices for no reason then people stop buying and then this happens. I really don't see anything strange in what's going on here, it's just like with Apple and their latest line of overpriced phones and will probably happen to Samsung too (to some extent) when releasing the S10 to once again ridiculous prices.

If nVidia would have sold the 2080Ti at MSRP 799$, a lot more people would have bought it (same with the 2080 and so on) and please don't blame RTX and DLSS as a reason for the prices to be higher than normal, that's bullshit.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nvidia made the same mistake as Apple, they thought they could charge whatever they wanted for their products that people would buy them anyway... And then reality hit them hard! Only die hard Nvidia fans or people with considerable disposable income are going to buy cards at those silly prices, everyone else is just going to keep their wallets closed.

So if Nvidia wants to sell their cards price them sensibly otherwise they can keep them.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Don't panic. Money and market controlling entities did not allow for small recession. Instead they blown through it with fake/forced growth.
    Making bigger recession. Sooner the better, but this is not it, yet. (Unfortunately.)

jura11 and Maddness like this.
  6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    And the stock has fallen by nearly 14% today.

7. 999Anticlock9wiSe

999Anticlock9wiSe Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    does this mean guru3d will be going offline ?

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Current market prices
    [​IMG]

When can we expect a price drop?
    [​IMG]

jura11 likes this.
  9. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    Been waiting on lower prices from Nvidia for over a decade, But due to their business practices throughout the life of the company I can't justify to myself to ever buy anything of theirs again.

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Never thought I'd see Nvidia admitting Turing hasn't sold well :D.

BlackZero likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They didn't say that though. They said customers are waiting for lower price points then go on to say the 2060 at $350 is that price point.

Probably not for a while. People here seem convinced Turing isn't selling well but the $800+ various SKU's of 2080Ti/2080s still go out of stock and when it is in stock it's selling far beyond it's MSRP (Even Nvidia's own Amazon page is marketing it up by $200) Which basically tells me that Nvidia isn't supplying the demand and there is no reason to drop the price if that's the case.

Like all these AIB vendors have the flexibility to price at MSRP but all of them are going up to the $1300 mark and higher. Why would they do that if the card wasn't selling well? Why are those $1300+ cards going out of stock if they aren't selling at that price point?

Least that's the case on Amazon US, I can't speak to other countries.

You sound like a crazy person. Tax havens don't hide money - the earnings/assets reported by companies include tax evaluations. It's not like having your company based in Ireland for lower taxes allows you to hide $180B you're suggesting.

Yeah, obviously Intel could raise the money to buy Nvidia - they'd take a credit hit but they could do it. I wasn't arguing they couldn't - hence the moving the goal posts part of my post.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    pharma likes this.
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    What do you mean?

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Half a billion less than the previous projection isn't a big deal, they're just expecting 1 less sale than previously anticipated.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Shares in tech companies has been falling for months, no surprises here at all tbh. Same thing is happening to companies like EA, Activision etc.

IMHO, this just means these companies will play it even safer than before, with minimum innovation and improvements. For us, it means less compelling triple AAA games to play = fewer reasons to get high-end hardware...

15. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO

The point is Nvidia have openly admitted consumers are not happy with their current pricing, whether they are talking about the 2060 or the 2080ti is irrelevant at this point as the writing is already on the wall, they have over estimated their position and consumers are not happy with the current prices, you only have to listen to everyone on this forum to recognise that fact and you are correct you do not have the global sales figures so until you have factual evidence to back up what you're saying it's all just hearsay.

Also I'm looking at the official press release and the shareholder statement and no where do I see them specifically mention the 2060 as the price point consumers are waiting for they simply highlight it's release at $349 as the first Turing based GPU for the mass market. This is not evidence that the other GPU's in the 20 series are selling well. In fact it could be evidence for the opposite if the 2060 is the first Turing GPU for the masses who are these other GPU's made for? The rich enthusiasts? there's only so many sales there and while I can agree the 2080ti is an enthusiast GPU what about the 2080 and the 2070, where do they fit in? clearly Nvidia doesn't feel they are built for the masses as they officially state the 2060 as the first Turing GPU for the masses.

Official Press Release here

Jensen's Letter to Shareholders here

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

16. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    It's not just the pricing though. What distinguishes RTX this gen? Ray Tracing. There's nothing else worthy of mention, it's the one single main and only new 'new gen' feature we have to sink our teeth into. Yet, how many devs bother with implementing Ray Tracing in their games? And do consumers who want to give a try to the 3 games that might have it in the next year will want to get a 2080 instead of a 2070 because the only cards that have enough RTX cores in them to have at least a "somewhat acceptable" FPS with that thing turned On starts with a 2080?

I think the tech was just too early. It's always a "necessary step" (or a necessary evil) with new tech. Trying to push the industry standards forward is difficult, it has always been a risk too (financially). However, even if RTX was inevitably the "next step" to happen, I think it happened too early. The industry at large wasn't ready for it. The consumers' wallets weren't ready for it yet. I do understand that we have to start somewhere but... yeah, I feel it was just too soon. It explains the lack of interests by the majority of developers to bother with it, and it explains the ridiculous high prices for the meager extra performance in Non-RTX games, and it explains the small number of RTX cores we have in even the best of the line card, which to me feels like should have been the number of RTX cores we should have had in a 2060 instead, and double that for a 2080, and even more on a 2080Ti.

This Ray Tracing tech, if it really is something to look to in the future, will not be 'viable' to implement until the next generation of cards come out. The RTX 30xx series. At that point, and only then, we'll have more RTX cores, the tech will have been adjusted / polished / reworked (whatever), the prices will be better and the performance gaps between it and the previous gens will be a lot more significant.

Now, in the meantime, I only hope that this will help AMD making a nice 'come back' on the GPU market as much as they were able to do it to a nice extent for CPUs. I also feel that the (somewhat) failure of the RTX 20xx series might mean that the RTX 30xx series will be guaranteed to come out within the next 2 or 3 years. I simply don't see the RTX 20xx series being "milked" for a long period of time unless they go out of their way to drastically lower the prices. But even if they do lower their prices (a lot) we'll STILL be looking for actual games with RTX in them, and not only that, but people who give a try to the "lower end" cards like the 2060 and the 2070s will probably not see the benefits anyway since those cards just plain and simple can't handle it beyond 1080p since they just don't have the RTX cores to deal with it.

Yeah, it was just too soon. But in the long run it might be a positive. Not immediately, but the RTX 30xx series I'm pretty sure will do much better as a result (unless Ray Tracing will still be the only new feature and tech we have at that point then yeah... maybe it's not gonna be that interesting; but whatever, time will tell).

Robbo9999 likes this.
  17. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Clawedge That is the most amazing correlation between two graphs I've ever seen...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    They go on to say that customers may be waiting on cheaper cards, yes, but they do indeed say sales were lower than expected.
    Since they aren't meeting or exceeding expectations I said it's not doing well and that's all I meant by it.

Without knowing the number of units being sold it doesn't tell us much that stores run out of stock quickly.

20. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    i must honestly ask, are you being serious? or not? cos its hard to tell.

"Stares suspiciously at screen"