MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'll think about it ;)

All

It looks like adding asynchronous hardware polling mode in beta 2 was not the best idea, it will be disabled in the next beta and I'll still use old good synchronous mode. In meanwhile I also recommend those who installed beta 2 to disable async mode in MSIAfterburner.cfg via changing "AsyncHwPolling = 1" to "AsyncHwPolling = 0".

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^^^

i did that and it broke AB for me ( GPU wrapper invalid ..etc error)

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Looking good Alex.

15-03-2017, 19:28:55 re7.exe benchmark completed, 2350 frames rendered in 21.859 s
    Average framerate : 107.5 FPS
    Minimum framerate : 89.6 FPS
    Maximum framerate : 125.4 FPS
    15-03-2017, 19:29:27 re7.exe benchmark completed, 2170 frames rendered in 20.359 s
    Average framerate : 106.5 FPS
    Minimum framerate : 89.0 FPS
    Maximum framerate : 124.0 FPS

One suggestion I like to make is add the option to tie the recording to time. So I hit my pre-defined hotkey to start and then the recording end say after 30 seconds of recording automatically. As an option of course, and the number of seconds preferable configurable.

Also I programmed F6 as stop hey, need to press it twice before it actually stops (might be normal behavior, have not read up on it tbh).

4. Unwinder

It can only mean that you edited something else inside and corrupted the file. Or overwritten it in different encoding.

5. Unwinder

I'll think about it ;)

Yep, I designed it on purpose and it is reflected in changes list. Pressing it once you stop recording and save results to file, but final benchmark results stay displayed so you can save them somehow (e.g. take screenshot). Results disappear from OSD on second press.

6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Does this only apply when Log History To File is checked?

7. Unwinder

Nope. Thresholds are do not depend on history logging to file.

8. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    I'm not able to combine the individual CPU clock graphs into one graph (with different colours). I have the CPU load and temps combined this way, but for some reason can't get the clocks to work the same way. Does anyone else have this problem or is it - as usual - user error?
    EDIT: It *was* user error.

Secondly, is there a way to configure the OSD in a way that allows the unit part of the values to be neither super- nor subscript? (I understand that negative values of the "<Sn>" tags are subscripts and positives are superscripts.) I dislike both for this use, and would like the units to be normal text, only smaller than the values, with the same baseline. I'd also like to try the same for the number part of "GPU1" etc.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sorry if it's obvious but is the UWP on-screen display functionality of RTSS v7.0.0 Beta 5 supposed to be enabled by default because I can only see the OSD in standard DX9/10/11/12 and OpenGL games. I've tried both Gears of War 4 and ReCore and the OSD does not show in either game yet it works fine (after toggling it on) in Sniper Elite 4 and Telltale's Batman (two games I loaded at random). I am using MSI Afterburner v4.4.0 Beta 2 and RTSS 7.0.0 Beta 5.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

10. Unwinder

Define "I'm not able". I cannot reproduce that.

Nope. There is no vertical centering option available for shrinked/stretched text.

11. Unwinder

Yes, it is enabled and I have no ideas what are you doing wrong, sorry.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Windows version?

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yes, makes total sense. Cool. I'll run some more tests this week. Looks good though.

14. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Nevermind, it works. I had forgotten you had to attach the graphs... :p

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    No, Steam version.

Just tried a few more games... Tyrant and The Witness (both Steam)... OSD works, including the new font (which looks really nice). Loaded up Halo Wars 2... OSD not showing.

Don't get why it isn't working?

I'll try a clean install to see if that resolves the issue (I usually just install MSI Afterburner over the previous build which has always worked fine after a reboot). I usually do this so that I can keep all my custom profiles.

*EDIT*
    I uninstalled both MSI Afterburner and RTSS, choosing to keep the settings for an upgrade, then rebooted (RTSS required it to remove remaining files) and reinstalled both programs. The OSD is still refusing to show in Windows 10 UWP games such as ReCore and Halo Wars yet it works, exactly as before with v4.3.0, in almost every other game I've tried (Ghost Recon Wildlands aside as that is an EAC issue, I understand).

Really not sure quite why UWP is not working for me. Windows 10 Pro v1607 did update to Build 14393.953 yesterday though; could that be the issue?

P.S. Is it possible for me to use someone's MSIAfterburner.cfg file to test on my PC?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

16. Unwinder

If you manually messed with delayed injection settings, created profiles for system applications like ApplicationFrameHost - it can be the reason. Do a clean install of RTSS.

17. Unwinder

Beta 3 is online. Changed critical threshold reaching notification approach for hardware monitoring window (similar to what I've described above), please refer to release notes to see full info on it.
    Also I've removed async hardware polling, introduced in the previous beta, because async access to GPU monitoring API could cause false readings (random spikes) on hardware monitoring graphs. So GPU hardware polling is back to synchronous mode, only CPU clock (most performance expensive part now) is monitored in a separate thread.
    RTSS is upgraded to beta 6, I've added config option PeakFramerateCalc, allowing switching min/max framerate calculation mode. Default mode uses sliding 1 second length window for peak framerate calculation, it is now also possible to enable alternate mode when minimum and maximum are calculated from each single frametime.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta3.rar

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have not changed any settings (that I can remember), only added profiles for specific games with their own font type, colour and OSD positions (centred, at the bottom, etc, etc).

I will try a clean install of RTSS tomorrow after backing up my custom profiles to see if that fixes anything. Thanks for replying.

19. Unwinder

BTW, as I mentioned above, flashing threshold warning icon is now displayed in Logitech G15/G19 keyboard LCD. I developed it on a PC with no such keyboard so I used my emulation layer to see what I display there. Not sure if anyone besides of private testers team know about this emulation layer, so I decided to share it. You may create a file called LGLCDEmulator.cfg in the root folder of MSIAfterburner and paste the following text there:

Code:
    [Settings]
    Device		= 0

[Device0]
    Width   	= 320
    Height		= 240
    Bpp		= 32
    NumSoftButtons	= 7
    SoftButton0	= 70
    SoftButton1	= 71
    SoftButton2	= 72
    SoftButton3	= 73
    SoftButton4	= 74
    SoftButton5	= 75
    SoftButton6	= 76
    Zoom		= 1

[Device1]
    Width   	= 160
    Height		= 43
    Bpp		= 1
    NumSoftButtons	= 4
    SoftButton0	= 70
    SoftButton1	= 71
    SoftButton2	= 72
    SoftButton3	= 73
    Zoom		= 2
    Color0		= E0F0E0

After creating such file and restarting MSI AB you can enable "Show in Logitech LCD" options in hardware monitoring and see emulated Logitech LCD output in separate emulator window. This way you can preview Logitech LCD monitoring functionality and decide if it worth purchasing such keyboard for monitoring purposes. When emulator window is focused, G15/G19 softkeys are emulated with F1-F7 keys. Emulator configuration is set to emulate color G19 display by default, but monochrome G15 display can be emulated too.

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I meant, what Windows version are you on? Some Insider build maybe?