Metro 2033

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Synks, Jan 7, 2010.

1. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just finished the game. Not too impressed by the story though. Haldf-way through I didn't even know what I was fighting for, and some of the very basic story questions such as what happened to the people in the tunnels at the beginning, what were these visions I was getting, what was my link to the dark ones - none of them were even remotely answered.

Also towards the end I got pretty tired of having to unload magazines of ammo at random creatures that are jumping out of the dark. And maybe it's just me, but what the hell are these visions/dream sequences with the building blocks at the very end?? Overall, rather dull.

Anyway, it looks gorgeous though. With my setup, overclocked cards to 800/1600/1950, it never dipped below 30fps from the library till the end, 4xAA, all max. Mostly between 50s and 60s.

A/V:9/10, gamplay: 5/10

2. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    The story was about the bigotry of mankind and their refusal to evolve/accept changes, if you look around you'll note that a lot of the npcs in-game just cling on to the past, always talking about better times, and then
    there's the nazis and the communists fighting a pointless battle because of a war that's long since ended rather than forgetting their differences and working towards a new world.

As for the Dark Ones,
    Artyom's father had the theory that they were the next step to mankind's evolution, that maybe this is all a misunderstanding, which Miller disagreed with as to him, they were just more mutants threatening humanity.

Of course, the Dark Ones end up saving you a few times, which seems odd considering they're supposed to be out to destroy humanity, but yes, they were very vague on that. What happens is, one of the details the game leaves out is that the Dark Ones were actually trying to help humans survive, help them evolve and adapt, but anyone they tried to contact died from it, hence their decision to try to contact only those who are most likely to survive, Artyom and his father being two of them.
    The game keeps hinting that they're not the horrible creatures people think they are, but it never directly tell you that, it leaves you to guess that on your own.

Humans didn't understand the Dark Ones, they are not willing to try to understand either, especially with the incidents.

As for the "dream" sequence at the end, that was simply the Dark Ones messing with Artyom's head in order to defend themselves. If there's at least something you should have caught on, it's that the Dark Ones have some form of psychic powers, using telepathy to communicate, etc. They're kind of made out to be omniscient beings watching over humanity but never able to do anything due to humans rejecting them.
    You have to remember this is adapted from a novel, obviously not every details would work, and rather than simply tell every details they leave you to guess certain things on your own.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As a possibly very light spoiler.

There's two endings as well depending on your "karma points" or how to describe it, there's like five or so just in the first level and from there on you'll encounter these frequently.
    (Small ring sound heard when you do good deeds basically but not always, looking at the patients in the first level gives you one, giving the bullet to the poor man gives another, talking and listening to the crowd outside of the medical area gives one, talking to the guy inside the medical area gives another and staring at the girl trough the grates near said area gives yet another, easy to miss these, I got the poor ending even though I tried to look for them but I've must have missed several.)

EDIT: Also.
    Game endings aren't that different in terms of how the game progresses however so it's rather subtle until the very end.

4. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    In addition to the good karma stuff, there is one thing you must do in order to get the enlightened ending...

When you are on the steam train heading to D6 you collapse and enter a dream state. There is a tree in the distance and a ranger behind you. If you walk to the tree a dark one will appear and lead you through a gate. If you follow him in you will be given a choice in the end. I think if you haven't earned enough karma points up to this point you won't be able to follow but I'm not sure about this.

The first time I tried to get the alternate ending I missed this because I didn't know I could move around in the dream. I reloaded an old save and it worked after following the dark one.

5. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    just started playing. what is the arrow on the weapon list for ?

[​IMG]

6. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Its for the weapons included in the free dlc pack called "ranger" i believe the downarrow is supposed to mean it was "down" loaded ^^

7. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    so this DLC is it just a extra quest, and this is just a bonus weapon?

i like this game but its very narrow in terms of where i can go, its feels limited after playing other fps like stalker :(

8. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    I quote

"The ‘Ranger Pack’ DLC for Metro 2033 is now available to download. The Ranger Pack adds new weapons, nine new Steam Achievements and the deadly ‘Ranger Mode’ game rules.

In standard Ranger Mode, ammo is dramatically reduced and all weapons and attacks cause more damage. Your foes are deadlier than ever – but then, so are you...

‘Ranger Hardcore’ adds an additional challenge as the HUD is totally removed, creating the most immersive Metro 2033 experience yet.

Rise to the challenge with two new weapons – the Heavy Automatic Shotgun, and the Volt Driver, Miller’s signature gun.

The Ranger Pack is offered as a free download to all Steam users."

*i like this game but its very narrow in terms of where i can go, its feels limited after playing other fps like stalker *

Me on the other hand like when there's a definite goal with your quest, i like to know exactly where i'm supposed to go you know.. much less ****ing around if you know what i mean ;)

9. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    I enjoyed metro alot- I found it quite an emotionally poignant powerful game- for example going to the surface the first time, seeing the communist who retreated to tell of a better path around the Nazis shot and the dark ones visions... loved the story too and found it very imersive- looked quite incredible in 3d vision...

hoping to get the book soon which is so say quite good- read the first few pages on the amazon preview and was hooked fast

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    link to book?
    i loved the game, moreso in the beginning, towards the middle/end it got a bit repetitive. though i plan to play it again, maybe with some mods if any exist.

11. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
  12. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Honestly there's no other game that sucks me in to the atmosphere like metro does... i guess all the stuff like the scrathes on the gasmask, the constant breathing noise, the dark places where you NEED your flashligh and the last fight for human kind that makes it so intense. Bottom line; LOVE IT! ;)

13. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i love the gfx but hate the game play, changing weapons is so dam hard, and i can see how many bullets i have nore map / mini map... i get lost to easy :(

i really want to love this game but finding it hard to like it

14. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    same, I just couldn't get into this game, was a shame tho, it had so much potential

15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i totally agree, i love how i can knock on a door and get lots of responses all expressing the persons anger i keep knocking, but im always out of ammo and i can never figure out what ammo is for what gun or where im going as theirs no mini/full map, i miss my game HUD :(

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You can adjust the difficulty in-game. Out of ammo ? Dont we all, make every shot count.

And the compas shows you where to go and there arent really that many places to get lost, if you see enemies there, you are most likely going to the right direction :)

17. ibitato

ibitato Guest

it's part of the immersion of the game, low on ammo, dark, scary , hard to find your way , etc

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    @ThatDelirium a bit above here, of course they had to be vague about the intentions of the Dark Ones. The fact that it was vague, basically forces you to decide between "destroying them" or "a leap of faith, letting them live".

19. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    what are the differences in difficulty... i think im playing under the third option in the list of 5 modes.. do i have to restart the hole game to change it ?

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Finally waited long enough to get this for £7! woohoo!