LG presents UltraFine OLED Pro 31.5in OLED monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2021.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No it's insane that the 42" is likely to be more expensive than a 55". Yes I now why. It's still insane from a consumers perspective.

Embra likes this.
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Comparing sizes of TVs as the end-reasoning as to why something is expensive or not is quite ridiculous.

At that point i guess i can go get some less then $300 4K projector from aliexpress, get a large sheet, stretch it out to over 100 inches, and say there's no reason any TV should cost more then that.

Different technologies have different costs associated with them and different qualities for your money. I'm sure if they made an 80" 4K super cheap quality TN 6-bit panel with almost zero viewing angle, it could be $300-500, for an "80" 4K TV"

Quality and costs of technology matter. Even to the consumer.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I am talking about 42" 48" and 55" OLED TV's from the same manufacturer and you bring up projectors? Tell me again, what's ridiculous?

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I kinda sorta agree with you, that you wouldn't expect a 48" or potentially the 42" to be more than the 55" but outside of them inflating the cost of the 55" to cover the losses on the smaller, I don't really see a solution.

It seems like LG is going to further segment it's OLED product line going forward, so this may not even be the case when the 42" launches.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm all for OLED displays. 42" is a bit big as a monitor for me but something like 32/35" 120Hz with 800 nits peak (at least) would be stunning.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Your notion, obviously?

Fine, same manufacturer?

LG HU70LA 4K, 140" Wall, sheet, projector screen, whatever you want, $1800-2000

You ask about projector as if that's not exactly your statement: That it doesn't matter the technology behind the screen, only screen size matters. AKA if you can get a 140" 4K LG Experience for $2000, how does a 65" for $2000 make sense?

If your idea of cherry picking results is your reasoning for anything/everything, then it again shows your fault. A projector, just because it's not a physical LCD/etc. screen, doesn't change the fact its purpose is literally the same.

The technology behind the screen/display/etc. matter, and will change the cost, trying to say otherwise, is what is ridiculous.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You have missed the point completely clearly as you're still talking about projectors. Cherry picking? We were talking about OLED displays ffs.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He's just saying that LG makes the same model OLED in various sizes but the smaller sizes are more expensive - which is counter-intuitive, right? It would be like if Acer released a 27" panel with specific specs for $500 then released a 24" with the exact same specs for $700. It just isn't what you'd expect.

It's different because A. I imagine it's more difficult to get 4K OLED at a smaller, 48/42" density (keep in mind phone panels are a different type of OLED technology) and the market for 48/42" TVs is significantly smaller than 55, so the upfront cost of creating SKU at that size is spread out over far less units.

HandR, Embra and theoneofgod like this.
  9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I think that LG is just double dipping with the 42-48" OLED monitors.
    They know they appeal to gamers.

I am actually thinking of getting one.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  10. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Me too. It's now just a matter of the price i'm willing to pay. :rolleyes:

Embra likes this.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well, I just saw that there will be like 1080p OLED for some asus? 13.3" screens from Samsung, so...there is hope for something bigger(1440p at least) for normal monitors...
    I really could take some 1440p 24-27" screen with at least 120Hz refresh rate. 400-700e ...not 1000, as for such a price I can find OLED TV from previous years...

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  12. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    That's what she said lol

GREGIX likes this.