LG Makes a Bold Claim 1ms IPS Gaming Monitors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    At this year’s E3, LG is unveiling the new LG UltraGear Nano IPS NVIDIA G-SYNC gaming monitor, the world’s first 1 millisecond (ms)1 IPS display. The UltraGearTM is a gamer&rsq...

LG Makes a Bold Claim 1ms IPS Gaming Monitors

2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    My LG monitors are dying with just a couple years use. I think they should check their quality standards as I probably will be looking at another brand for my next purchase.

3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    If its not 4K 120hz with HDR 1000 then its probably a waste of time. Bring on some 43" BFGD's

4. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Try samsung :)

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Plenty of us haven't hopped on the 4K wagon yet due to performance issues ;). The recent 4K monitors incapable of handling their listed specs (eg. PG27UQ) without compression has kept me away.

fantaskarsef and schmidtbag like this.
  6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    27GL850 sub 600 eur i would think of it.

7. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    Quite interesting that they turned some specs around for the 27", at first it had G-Sync and a 165Hz OC possibility. 600 to 650 would be a great price for these.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    1ms eh?? on IPS did the manage to improve dramatically on the sub par blacks? those are reason why I dont want IPS

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I like Samsung and I have a few. However they are known for having high input lag.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not that I've seen. Now that I've been spoiled by AMOLED on my phone and LG's OLED on my TV the only thing I see when I use my monitor is subpar black levels.

I've been waiting for the ASUS/Acer FALD VA Ultrawides since 2017 - part of me thinks they might be cancelled but they were rumored to have a static 2500:1 contrast ratio which is much better than any IPS i've seen. With Mini/MicroLED coming up though I'm wondering if it's just worth waiting for that.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    meanwhile my cheap 10 years old 22 inch 16:10 monitor is still my secondary although i had to repair it my self with a cheap 3 bucks soldering iron literally an iron with a power plug :p

if they open and then they shut down after showing picture for 1 or few seconds ...or opening and closing is the capacitors you can easily do a fix your self for like 1-2 bucks for the right capacitors .... fixed 8 monitors like that last 6-7 years ((not just lg ))

12. Problem with oleds as gaming monitors is the pixel response times and motion blur, traditional oleds can't reset fast enough to get to that <5ms that fps gamers crave, but joled and Samsung are working on oleds with filtering to boost the response time.

13. 450 nitere is plenty and frankly any higher makes them very uncomfortable to use especially during the summer time.
    Seeing 1000 nitere sounds good and looks amazing but using a screen with such brightness generates heat that ultimately gets thrown into the users face.
    Sound ok during the winter time but in the summer it isnt nice.
    You dont see that advertised when purchasing a screen.
    If there was a temp test of a screen at full brightness from say 2 feet away it would be a good metric to help people pick their displays.
    Curved screens might end up being hotter as it wraps itself around the user.
    Good or bad idea i do not know.

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If they made that 27" 2K monitor with a MiniLED backlight with 1,000+ dimming zones this would be my new monitor.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Still better blacks than TN though.

16. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    I bought the very first gen 3440x1440 LG Ultrawide (probably like 7 years ago now?). Still going strong, I've never had any issues with it. No dead pixels, no light leaks, no power supply issues, etc. Obviously every panel is different but figured I'd add my anecdote as well.

When dropping *real* cash on a quality monitor like the ones in this article, you really want to find a local store to buy from or at least a vendor that will accept returns without hassle. I remember when these first came out it seemed like every other post had someone complaining about light bleed, so I was hesitant to buy anything until I was sure I'd be able to return it without issue if if I got a bunk panel too. Fortunately it has never had any issues, nor has another that I got for a family member.

That 38" 3840x1600 with G-Sync looks like a beauty.

17. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Not sure what you are doing wrong then, I bought two 1080Ti MSI Gaming X the day they released, and has played 4K60 perfectly smooth for two years now, and its a blast on my home cinema TV. Sure, I tend to tweak by turning down things like AA and settings that blur the image, though with 90% of the settings on Ultra. Witcher 3, Wildlands etc. looks superior in 4K, as many games render with higher res on textures and distant objects when res goes up. Witcher 3 looks like a mosh in the distance at HD compared to 4K.. if your FPS suffer on the 2080 it must either be games not supporting SLI or you not making the small right tweaks.. like Wildlands has a few settings where on ultra you cant even tell the difference from high when comparing screenshots, still the difference might be 20fps. Go tweak it right and you will love the 4K :) I bet hdr cost more than normal though, so that will add some fpsloss for you, my tv is early 4K before hdr, so I do regular 4K for now, waiting for microled before upgrade. I agree hdr is a game changer, though so was 4K in my opinion. :)

ToxicTaZ likes this.
  18. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Veeery interested in that 38 inch. Really want to go ultrawide and that's not too far off 4k plus it's 175hz! It would be easier to run than 4k and look similar. Checking out reviews for sure.

19. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Overpriced and I reckon they're having problems too. Plus, I don't like curved monitors and all "good" models are curved. I really have no idea what to try next.
    Unfortunately I have no repairing skills. The repair I think it wouldn't be too hard, but what's hard is diagnosing what's wrong. I have a faulty Samsung monitor, I think it's the transformers for the backlight tubes. It takes two and they're expensive to replace. The other faulty monitor is an LG that has the menu system acting up. I can't even open the thing, there isn't any screw or tutorials online. I wouldn't be able to repair the board also. I guess I have no luck!
    The panel I have now is the second one: the first had a row of vertical pixels die within the first 14 days of use.
    Man, I don't know, but LG sucks in my book. First panel life was 5 years, second panel is giving backlight problems after 3 years and this panel was toasted within 14 days...bad luck?

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Don´t scare Silva because i´ve spent 500€ on my LG monitor that so far has been amazing and i want it to continue this way another 10 years...