Legion Y920 From Lenovo Gets Mech Keyboard and G-Sync Display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    It always amazes me how laptop vendors think its alright to stick an $1000 on the price tag just because the device is portable. A desktop with those specs would perform equally as well (if not better thanks to more efficient cooling methods) and cost less.

3. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    There's always that kind of guy ^^^ :bang:

4. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I hear you guys, I was going to say its at least 1k too high, that is the main reason why gaming laptops will never be a thing, not lower performance, not being smaller, the price is ridiculous, and companies still don't learn. And I thought lenovo were smart, I'm still using my 6 year old y570 which was thee best price for money out there by a huge margin.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    And this is new to you ..?

6. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Unfortunately it's getting old and I have no idea why companies keep on doing that. I am pretty sure they don't earn nearly as much as they would if they had lowered the price.

7. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    I'd rather them stop making these bricks and try to make a good balanced machine that you can actually carry around without breaking your back and not looking stupid with it.

8. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Do not forget that this laptop includes a non-mobile 1070 (from what I understand). It's not a hot card by any means but still challenging to keep cool in a laptop, the card itself and the extra cooling adds weight.

Also the battery to support desktop-grade hardware has to be beefy and heavy.
    I wouldn't consider these things laptops but merely portable gaming pcs.

9. thereaperman

thereaperman Guest

GPU:
    msi 980ti 4g gaming
    But can you take that desktop with you to work, the coffee shop or the gaming event?

The answer is maybe, but this is a PORTABLE computer and is used when not at home and the price reflects that, due to the size, weight and specs. :D

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You gotta take into consideration these things have to be overly engineered to both fit in such a small compartment and be durable.

If you think that is easy, go ahead and do it with your PC and see how easy it is.

Everything needs to be custom, the case, the motherboard, the cooling, the monitor(to a degree)

If we were to buy the barebones and customized laptop case to our specific specifications, the costs would likely be (for this laptop, going off the lowest items on the list for this laptop)

Processor: $380
    GPU: $380
    RAM: $130
    SSD: $60
    HDD: $60
    Motherboard: $200
    CD/DVD: $20
    WIFI: $20
    Display: $500 (Remember, this is a gsync display)
    Keyboard/touchpad: $40
    Battery: $50
    Charger: $20
    Total: $1960

And this does not include:
    Customized premium
    Case & other parts (heatsink, screws, etc.)
    Box/discs/packaging/etc.
    Engineering costs
    R&D (Engineering could be considered part of this as well)
    The actual, physical costs (putting it together, etc.)

And then you have to add on (for their sake) whatever percentage of profitability you want on it, taking into consideration you have to offer a warranty and in general support for the product.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Believe it or not, but there are quite a few people buying these gaming laptops. It never makes sense for somebody like me, who spends most of his time at home, but for some that are on the go a lot, it can make sense to pay the premium for something like this.

Of course I'm ruling out some of the ridiculous ones I've seen in the past with 2xGPUs etc., now those are indeed cinder blocks, but something like this Lenovo here is not so bad size wise, provided you have the cash and need for it.