Intel To Launch 8th Gen Core Processors August 21st

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Look at the video that user above you posted, the 7700K beats overclocked 4Ghz 1600 by a high margin, and the same results will be with 1700 or 1800 because 95% of these games dont use 8 cores or more.
    Its not arma or "slight" gains, its actual difference sometimes in 20-30+ fps
    Power consumption is irrelevant for the most people, almost no one even consider it.
    https://youtu.be/UfNMn7RWgLw

2. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb

I dont know of what walls are you talking but 7800X 4.7Ghz without delid is not uncommon,
    https://youtu.be/UfNMn7RWgLw

Skylake-X i9 7900X doing 5Ghz on AIO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoies2JcmI

3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Thats a great video, but how do you explain 7700K beating 7800x by double digits, sometimes 20-30fps when the speed difference was mere 200mhz? 4.7 vs 4.9?
    I noticed that both 1600 and 7800x had the same slow downs in every game compared to 7700K and im 99% sure if he disabled HT he would be getting identical results to 7700k at least on 7800x.
    There are games that just dont like anything with more than 8 cores and get slowdowns, thats why i have HT disabled on my 5820K

4. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Mate, its a 11% difference bw Ryzen 1600 and 7700K (the same result for TPUp's 16 game average benchmarks). "Sometimes 20-30 fps" in that context means 1 or 2 in 10 games. The games that have that 20-30 fps difference is GTA5, FC Primal (which is the most MHz bound game), Warhammer 40000, Rise of the Tomb Raider (but minimums are nearly the same), Hitman, TW: Warhammer and Deus EX and GoW4. That's 8 games out of the 30. But if you look into the details you will see that 5 of the 8 games are running on DX12 and if you check the Deus EX DX12 vs DX11 results, and check the early Ryzen benchmarks with DX12 games it seems that something is wrong with Ryzen in DX12. Tomb Raider already got nice boosts for Ryzen. I'm pretty sure DX12 games will get boosts later for Ryzen. And Battlefield 1 shows that Ryzen is a decent CPU for 144Hz gaming even without a Sync monitor when the game developers put a little work in the engines. :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It comes down to mesh most likely that they use with the new cpus. 6800k would fare better with similar cocks.

HT does matter but not that much and in some games it's and advantage. And it doesn't work like "more cores = slowdown" it simply does not use rest of the cores nor threads.

Interestingly enough in some games 7700k has no lead whatsoever while in others it's that 20-30 fps also it has HT on too. But that doesn't make 1600x a bad option for gamers either. :) It might not be the best in every scenario sure but it should be better then 7600k that exhibits worse frametimes then both 7700k and 1600.

6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    For popular DX11 games, only GTA5 and Far Cry Primal are 20-30 fps behind 7700K (I won't call Warhammer 40000 a popular one, but if you want, I can put it in that group). All the other bigger fps-gap games are tested in DX12 which shows that something is problematic with Ryzen in DX12 as a game tested on both DX11 and DX12 (namely Deus Ex) shows huge performance difference between for Ryzen.

7. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    Really? Since when? Since AMD came out with this new and more efficient cpu series I guess, because before every journalist and wannabejournalist (I'm talking to you, youtubers) trashed the FX series because of their high tdp and consequent heat production.
    It seems power consumption becomes important only when AMD consumes more power than its competitors (Intel and NVIDIA).
    Go and tell that power efficiency means nothing to the companies who buy hundreds or thousands of AMD and Intel cpus for their servers or workstations. See what they answer. :funny:

DF on 1600 and 1600X vs 7600K in gaming:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI

8. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Thats not what i said, I said that there are games that run slower on CPUs with more than 8 cores be it real or HT.
    Look at the benchmarks, BOTH 1600 and 7800x show Comparative slower performance and what do you know both have 6/12
    The mesh shouldn't result to such degraded performance, and 1600 doesn't have it anyway.

GTA V 7700K: 145fps vs 1600/7800x: 115fps
    PlayerUnknown 7700k 142fps vs 1600/7800x 139/137fps
    RotTR: 7700K 153fps vs 1600/7800x 131/133fps
    Far Cry Primal 7700K 135fps vs 1600/7800x 100/105fps

9. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    It was irrelevant since forever, of course the Journalist mention it because thats their job and of course its important in SERVER market but it was never ever for home users, unless you live in some strange country with unbelievable electricity prices.
    I never heard of a single person that choose a CPU based on its power consumption, and im in this hobby since 1995 (and owned my own PC hardware shop when I was 18), not once I was asked about power consumption.

10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Yeah. Since AMD GPU power consumption jumped much higher than NV, power consumption was one of the main concerns for the green eyed guys. :D

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Far Cry Primal, RotTR, GTA V are all bad cases for Ryzen no matter which one be it 4 or 6 or 8 cores HT or no HT. And 6900K and 6700 at the same clocks will perform roughly the same in pretty much everything game related.

Also difference in Player Unknown 3fps/5fps?

If anything only ****tily coded game is Far Cry Primal in GTA 5 7900x should be getting higher or similar frames to 7700K. RotTR should be the same. And PlayerUnkown also.

https://youtu.be/Rnf5QzoLjG4?t=226

12. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX

You highlight a 3 fps lead at a 140 fps range (which means a 2% advantage)? :D If you read my comment, in popular DX11 titles only GTA5 and Far Cry do much better under 7700K. The other popular titles where Ryzen falls 20-30 fps behind are DX12 ones where Ryzen has an obvious problem. Tomb Raider already got performance increases. I'm awaiting more for it and other DX12 titles as well.

13. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I'm just extemely grateful that the next time I buy a cpu, at a minimum for around the same price it will have 50-100% more cores as my 6700k. There wil be a price premium on chips like this at first but as the competition has clearly lit a fire until intel ( not that they wanted it ) it means that in cpu cpu refreshes/releases from now I won't get the same old +2-5% performance xnumber of gens and will offer some actual performance.

The sooner we get higher core chips the sooner game developers can start relying on them and program all sorts of background tasks so that there is more effects/less loading etc.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    But you said you were a gamer. Why would a gamer even consider a 12-core/24-thread CPU? (hell, even an 8-core CPU is a bit too much) IMO, gamers should only be looking at quad-cores. It's high-end desktop users who need 8+ core CPUs, not PC gamers.

15. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Nah, Intel have bent us over for years now; AMD have solid, powerful products on the shelf (eh, CPU wise anyhow!) with solid IPC, excellent gaming performance and masses of grrrrrunt like a crazy V16 Rolls Royce engine at price points only recently occupied by gouging Intel chips. Not a chance I'll be buying Intel as long as AMD remain on this form.

16. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Gamers play games, but it's not all we do...I don't know why this false dichotomy even exists...is even bought up?

What is certain is that Gamer is not, should not be a by-word for someone who will willingly shaft themselves for something called "fps" at exhaustive cost to everything else. Marketing people might like that, but real world, clever, Gamers know that a system that will be great at everything is a much, much better value than a system which will be great at just games.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'd like to clarify then. Gamers like MegaFalloutFan, who only care about gaming, need only a quad core. He made it clear that games were all he cared about, and did not mention doing anything that required more than four cores (he even said that he turned off HT on his CPU for the sake of gaming). For him, a 8+ core CPU would be a waste so I'm not sure why he was even considering a TR.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol. That's a good one. Someone doesn't understand what competition means....

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Well AMD is comparing based on price wit Threadripper so his way of thinking is accurate.

20. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Let me guess you are very young? You have no basic understanding in economics and business.

Products all products from your bread to super spaceships compared one vs another based on price and price only.

Maybe you misunderstood, its not price vs price and the lower price wins.
    Its Price vs Price and the one with MORE VALUE for that price wins.
    So cheaper product that has more features and value than more expensive wins.
    It goes from bottom up not the otehr way around.

A More expensive product cant compete with cheaper product, but cheaper product always competes with more expensive product.