Intel To Launch 8th Gen Core Processors August 21st

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    $339 8700K with 6/12 threads will most likely murder entire Ryzen 7 lineup.
    I dont want to say it will obsolete R7, because AMD will proly just slash their prices.

Thats a good thing, no? Why so angry :confused:

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Oh and by the way, where are all of you who were mocking me for saying Intel are greedy ****s milking every penny they could with their monopoly? Remember when I said when AMD starts competing at all the market would completely change and Intel would finally have a generational upgrade that isn't horsecrap?

"You're stupid, Intel is doing the best they can, you don't understand anything about technology or economics" - Degenerates on the internet

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I really doubt it. Intel has been using paste for years and have even started using it for their HEDT chips (Core i9). There is every indication that they will continue using paste for their consumer products - if anything, they will expand it. This is something that Intel customers just need to accept.

IMO, Intel uses paste so that heat will be a problem for overclockers. They would prefer that people buy faster and more expensive chips rather than overclock cheaper ones (after all, this is what people do with the Ryzen 7 chips). It's certainly bad for consumers and enthusiasts, but it helps Intel's bottom line.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You think Intel was at fault for not selling selling their products at lower prices. What would be the point? They already have (had) the entire market worth having. Since when has maximizing the proffit and the self-interest become synonims for GREED?

If you are a fellow traveler like I am :) then I agree with you. And please disregard this post.

But I thouhgt most of you guys pray to the gods of Adam Smith, Wealth of the nation, Milton Friedman and so on. Austrians, dear god, like the entire Internet is full of proponents of Austrian school of economics lol.
    Not to mention that god awful women Ayn Rand, I am dead certain she has her supporters who are yelling greedy Intel. LOL the mental gymnastics of it...

TL;DR

If Intel and Nvidia had been selling their products at your preffered prices, THERE WOULD BE NO AMD

5. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    correction. R7 1700 is 299.99 on newegg and 290 on amazon

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    15% improvement was it. I wonder how much of that is clocks. Will be interesting to see how these compare to kaby.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    the most competitive Ryzen 7, and it is already down?

Yup called it :banana:

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It dropped almost instantly after launch even.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's not what I'm referring to at all, I'm not getting into this.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    For the record, it takes several years to makes these CPUs, so Coffee Lake definitely isn't the final result of Intel seeing competition again - they may launch it earlier and adjust pricing, but the tech has been final for a long time.

Next generations will show more of an impact there.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Intel would be selling the upcoming generation with 2 cores and make you buy an upgrade card to unlock Hyper Threading if they could get away with it.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    any company with CEO worthy of his sallary would do it!

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Since when they haven't? Capitalism is driven by greed. It's very ugly greed with publicly traded companies because they are faceless. A traditional private businessman might need to worry about ruining their own family name (many still do), but with public companies nobody even expects anything but the worst.

Of course, Intel had the tech to make mainstream 6-cores years ago, but they chose not to because it's so jolly to milk the monopoly. Now when they actually needed to change something after so many years of purely cosmetic touches, they could do it in a jiffy. Quite enlightening.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No one cares. Seriously, how many people update a CPU every 2-3 years on the same motherboard (meaning a lack of new features for starters, and the engineers being restricted in their performance/feature increases to an ancient socket). I would venture to say that 99%+ of users upgrade storage, memory or graphics waayyyy before they even look at CPU upgrades; especially CPU upgrades that bring nearly no new features.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Exactly. Although some proponents of capitalism try to make distinction between self interest and greed, I think its a vague and futile attempt. Greed is the name of the game.

So what are we complaining then
    I mean we shouldnt like it, or applaud Intel , but mofos are doing what mofos are supposed to do.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I don't know about your luck but I'd say you were impatient. Plus, you wouldn't buy AMD anyway so you're good with what you have.
    Get ready to buy Motherboard again when you want to upgrade!

That depends on you and your needs.
    If you need to drive a high refresh rate monitor upgrade to a i7 7700k
    If you want the best price/performance and an awesome workstation upgrade to R7 1700.
    Alternatively you could OC the crap out of that CPU and hold for Intel to lower prices or AMD Zen2.

With more cores I doubt Intel can make that high clocking CPU's.

It won't murder them and I'm sure price will be more than enough to justify AMD. But time will tell.

If Intel stopped paying retailers not to sell AMD, maybe we wouldn't have to wait so long for new tech.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Making the maximum amount of profit doesn't have to be exclusively tied to being a criminal piece of crap working against humanity. It's possible to put out "better" (less crippled and intentionally delayed) technology without stunting your future sales or even short term profit. Intel went so ****ing far with their greed and contempt that I'm in fact convinced they lowered their potential profits both in the short and long terms.

Enjoy that LOCKED 4 core CPU with no HT, as opposed to **** knows what you would have had if Intel didn't pull off a global monopoly through bribes and blackmail. They were paying Dell $1,000,000,000 USD per quarter at one point to not buy AMD products. Per quarter. The only reason Dell ever budged is because massive amounts of big name customers in the server industry were disgusted with Dell for not selling the far (at the time) superior (and cheaper) Opterons so they stopped buying from Dell. Eventually Dell calculated that they're losing more than gaining through the Intel bribes. If Intel wasn't an eternity behind in competing against the Opterons of the time, AMD being locked out from Dell would have continued for years more. That was just one company.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  18. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    1.7700K started on 350$.
    2. This will be 6/12. So I don't expect it to come at a 6700K price (339$), maybe a bit higher than 7700K.
    3. Ryzen R7 is 8/16. Its competition will be 1600 and 1600X with a 220 and 250$ price tag. And you also need a more expensive board for 8700K if you want OC.

I think no way the 8700K will make R7 obsolete.

19. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    I want to see what kind of gains it will have over the 7700k. If they can have a 6 core 12 thread cpu which is slightly off from the 7700k i might pull the trigger

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Neo Cyrus

it was 250M per quarter in "rebates" along with other cr... I wanted to say criminal activities, but if the fine is the only punishment that Intel received, then it was not really the criminal case.

you shoplift you go to jail, you steal cool billion, you get fined... eh