How to get 30 fps console?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fernake, Apr 20, 2020.

1. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    Hello, I would like to get 30 fps for some games such as Control, but the sensation is choppy and much less fluid than on a console, is there a way to get the smoothness that I get on a console at 30 fps on a PC? so, it would be very interesting if nvidia added options for this purpose.

2. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Go to your Nvidia Control Panel then look for Vsync and set it to "half refresh rate". you need to set your monitor to 60hz in order to get 30hz in games, (example: half refresh rate 60h = 30hz, 120hz = 60hz) *hz = fps*

Second way to get 30 hz is by setting your display and frame rate in game (example: 1080p 30hz, 1440p 30hz, etc).

elaganza and fernake like this.
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Try Half Refresh Rate V-Sync.

EDIT: hehe, beat me to it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    fernake likes this.
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Do that, but make sure to either set Ultra Low Latency in the driver for the game and also set Max Pre-Rendered Frames to 1 or 2 for that game specifically.

By default 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync is a lot laggier than 60hz + a 30FPS cap.

fernake likes this.

5. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
  6. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    Thank you all very much for your suggestions, I have tried everything but I can't get the 30 fps to be consistent like the ones offered by a console, I suppose that the game itself must be optimized to offer 30 fps perfectly linked, Control has no option to offer 30 fps by itself, it would be very interesting if nvidia offered an option to be able to play games at consistent 30 fps, thanks to everyone for your advice and sorry for my English from Google translator.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's likely frame pacing issues and your probably correct in the assumption it's the game and something the developers need to sort.

Don't think this is something Nvidia could sort via NVCP.

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Consoles have some sort of hardware or software "optimization" to make 30 fps as soft as possible, along with different types of motion blur applied+build in frame pacing. You can't achieve these soft 30 fps even with RTSS at 33.3 ms. Adding an artifical limiter vs the one that's hard coded on consoles are 2 different things PC games are made in mind with the standard 60 Hz refresh rate and console games are modified if they are gonna run at 30 or at 60 fps. I will probably get crucified by saying this, but there is a chance even console 60 fps may be even smoother than on PC. Even on a HD TV, PC at 30 still feel choppy and laggy; a console game at 30 fps is actually playable, well, if you can tolerate the slower motion on screen. I personally don't like console 30 fps at all, even if its still soft and doesn't hurt the eye, it can strain some users a bit.

Consoles have achieved something PC hasn't: Ideal framepacing. On PC, we have to use crap like RTSS, nVidia FPS limiter, Full Screen Optimizations, etc to get smoother frametimes on PC, i.e to get 60 fps at 16.6 ms on PC, you need to use one of these options because most games have awful framepacing and the GPU driver doesn't seem to know how to set this correctly). But these are added and forced into games; they are not part of the games themselves nor part of the GPU driver doing a good work. Of course, all of this applies if you use v-sync, if you don't and use something such as G-Sync, then a console can't ever approach to that.

I also know I will get probably get some stupid answers and nonsense due to what I said; most users don't understand these things or don't care so when you call it out, they get defensive and angry, specially because this exposes a terrible flaw of PC gaming. And its funny, because consoles are pretty bad imo even if they have some advantages, such as superior framepacing and in the vast majority of games, no stutter or hitching, which is the contrary on PC since these issues seem to come baked with any gaming PC now these days. The stupidity of Microsoft and the disaster Windows 10 continues to be, incompetent and stupid game developers and GPU drivers, that are still being made in very unpractical ways are major factors in this.

In short: If you are tired of PC gaming lacking smooth 30 fps and if you are tired of out of the blue stutters in games, a console should have your back. But as for the rest of the things, PC is superior anyway.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    "Framepacing". A term that has become a trend in PC social circles these last times and that has become popular due to the great exposure of PC gaming. Do you even know what it is? Framepacing alone won't give you 30 fps on PC like if you were in a console. Console 30 fps is just beyond "framepacing". I am not entirely sure what they do to get "correct" 30 fps, but it isn't just "33.3 ms", which you can achieve on PC anyway with RTSS, yet the game still will be choppy AF. I am pretty sure this could be fixed by adding some driver features since physically the GPU itself can do these "soft" 30 fps (just play a YT video that's 30), but nvidia nor AMD care and never will. Nvidia wants to sell its super smooth G-Sync monitors and so does AMD with Freesync, in which case with these monitors, 30 fps is even better than on console, apparently.

I assume consoles use some sort of internal frame interpolation or simply, video codec made for "console 30 fps" which makes it way better than on PC. Have you seen a PC game as smooth as a 30 fps Youtube video? No one has, yet console 30 fps is just like that.

10. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If your monitor can do 30Hz (or any custom refresh rate close to that), then the experience can be pretty close to what you get in consoles. Still not the same, but close.

To further lower the input lag, use RTSS and a frame cap of 30fps (or 31 if you get tearing). With AMD you can try Enhanced Sync at 30Hz.

Any solution implementing half refresh rate results in unbearable input lag.

Smough likes this.

11. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    I have nothing useful to add other than to commend the community for not pulling some 'PC master race' goofiness.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What it is? Yes. How it's implemented by developers? No.

Frame interpolation would likely make it choppier and while i did see that this is an option on Doom64 i'm sure we would all know about it now if this was in every game. As for the video codec claim, i have no idea where you are going with that.

Consoles always have, and always will benefit from fixed hardware. If a game released on the PC that only supported RX5700 or only the GTX280 that game would be the best optimised game ever with the lowest bugs you likely ever had.
    There are pros and cons with the freedom that PC gaming has.

Dan Longman likes this.
  13. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    Right now I am playing Control, with a 1080 gtx, with vsync 1/2, maximum pre-rendered frames 2 and with a limitation of 29,990 frames and the experience is quite similar to the console in this way, I have no programming or but I am pretty sure that both nvidia and amd could implement an option in their drivers to play games as demanding as Control at perfect 30 fps, the problem is that many people would take much longer to change their gpu and that is something that does not interest to the companies.

14. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    Did you try adjusting silk smothness in Inspector?
    This should make a better smoth experience with high values (by default it is disabled with 0), but I think high values produce some imput lag but values like 1-2 should help you

fernake likes this.
  15. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    I did not know of the existence of this option, I will try and comment on how it works, thank you very much for your guidance.

16. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    It seems that the SILK smothness option is no longer available in nvidia inspector.

yobooh likes this.
  17. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    This is Weird, I Haven't SILK Smoothness option anymore in NvInspector.:O
    I'm on 970 and 445.78 drivers

fox.mr likes this.
  18. Covid19

Covid19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    not only silk smoothness..low latency mode related options and maybe more we havent realized yet vanished even in 450.82...i dont know from which driver these things vanished..

and for smooth 30fps gameplay console like..hey you dont have to play in 30 fps if your gpu cant handle 60 fps constant..how? just do what i did..oc your monitor to other than 60fps like 62..64..66..68...........74...75....so on and than use rtss scanline sync x/2..other than that you can add fake motion blur with reshade..(mbRecall=0.250000 mbSoftness=2.000000) results bingo..! for ex i can play whole third person games likes this with ultra settings..RE 2 Remake everything ultra except shadows high and resolution scale %140!!! smooth stutter free 37fps(monitor oc to 74hz) gameplay even im on 4GB GTX 970 with i7 6700k..nfs heat..control...hitman 2..a plague tale..watch dogs..gta 5..tomb raider games..vs..vs..i can play all games in ultra settings at 1080p with a gtx 970..

and there are other things to do to get much more responsive gameplay...

SatsuiNoHado, lamparcicho and Smough like this.
  19. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    I am on 450.12 dch drivers. And using inspector 2.3.0.11 and silk smothness is there, almost at the end

450.82 lacks of many options and also some options were removed from 2.3.0.12 inspector because some users had problems with some functions I think

Try driver 450.12 (insider driver) or any before 445.75

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Smough likes this.
  20. Covid19

Covid19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    450.12 is actually 4 months old..but i remember have these options and working in 442.50..just downloaded inspector 2.3.0.11 to check not silk option but low latency settings appeared but...when i click apply button gives me an error like this...
    DRS_SetSetting failed: NVAPI_SETTING_NOT_FOUND...

edit: i have 2 windows O/S.. and just checked this in other O/S using official 445.87 driver..the results are same..gives the same error..so it means i see low latency setting in NVCPL but actually it is obviously fake and not working..wow strange things appears here...

anyway we are going off topic...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020