Health insurance just got canceled.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by PhazeDelta1, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Conservative, Liberal, Moderate, Tea Party, Republican, Democrat.... It doesn't matter what you call them. They all have the same goals. Keep the lobbyists that are lining their pockets, happy. As long as our Senators and Representatives are working for the lobbyists, we'll always lose....

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Pure truth.

3. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    fixed

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just don't tell the guys I work with. They still swear that conservatives have never taken a single penny from lobbyists.

We elect these people to represent US and work in OUR best interest. While they're campaigning, they try to say the right thing to win votes. Once they reach DC, their only concern is which lobbyist group alligns with their party's interests so they know who they're really going to represent. If things go as planned, OUR best interest, is rarely of any interest to them because it doesn't provide additional income beyond what they're already being guarranteed.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yep^...sad but true.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Forbes used to be somewhat credible. They've now become absurd.

Critics of the Affordable Care Act have seized on the law’s many glitches to argue that the federal government is incapable of managing a complex implementation process, saying that they predicted failure all along. But now some conservatives are pushing a far more conspiratorial explanation for the problem-riddled roll out: the Obama administration planned it that way.

The story was first surfaced on Avik Roy’s blog on Monday, which quoted an administration spokesperson explaining that the government forced users to create an account before applying for coverage to prevent users from discovering the unsubsidized cost of coverage. The decision led to a bottleneck of traffic, but “by analyzing your income first, if you qualify for heavy subsidies, the website can advertise those subsidies to you instead of just hitting you with Obamacare’s steep premiums,” Roy wrote.

The argument was soon picked up by Fox News. The network ran a segment on Tuesday morning explaining that the White House knew about potential glitches before HealthCare.gov launched on Oct. 1, “but did nothing to stop it because the White House doesn’t want to show you how expensive those plans really are.”

In other words, the administration purposely conspired to mismanage the implementation of its signature health care law in order to hide the true cost of coverage.

If that sounds too ridiculous to believe, it is. The administration may have hoped to immediately present consumers with their subsidized rates to reduce confusion, but it never tried to hide the unsubsidized cost of coverage. After all, it released a report touting average health care premiums five days before HealthCare.gov launched, and made all premium rates available on Oct. 1 through an Excel spreadsheet. Numerous media outlets reported on the unsubsidized rates that very day, including Fox News itself, and ThinkProgress used the information in its own coverage of the health care exchanges. In fact, in its segment about the first day of Obamacare enrollment, Fox News explained that it couldn’t project the cost of coverage for any particular family because a calculation depended on a “million different variables,” suggesting that raw premiums would be of little use to consumers.

Last week, HHS converted that raw data into a tool that allows consumers “an easy way to access that information, by providing basic information about themselves to see their options.” “Interested consumers will not have to supply personally identifiable information to view this information,” CMS explained in a statement, officially bringing the conspiracy to a close.
    http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10/15/2780001/conservatives-advance-obamacare-conspiracy/

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had to pick out this particular line cuz I found it quite amusing. It's not hard to believe that the government would have difficulty managing a complex implementation process. Hell, they have difficulty managing anything regardless of the complexity. However, setting up a website expecting to see visitor counts into the 7-9 figure range would be nearly impossible for any organization to get right without considerable "post-launch" efforts. Hell, look at the fiasco that was the Diablo3 launch....and they expected considerably less traffic than what Healthcare.org needs to be able to handle...

As to the credibility of Forbes... They have contributors/staffers that were previously involved, directly or otherwise, with politicians. Some of them write articles slanted to their views or the views of political figures that they're being compensated by. The writer of that particular article, was supposedly a "health care policy advisor" to Mitt Romney.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Here, here!

9. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

The anti-abortion argument is carried almost entirely by the religious (Abrahamic) and whichever party caters to their vote.

Here's a U.S. Gallup poll asking about it :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their desire is to codify into law the tenants of their religion. And that's not exactly a secret. There is a large advertising and lobbying apparatus in place to do this.

But that can't happen in any direct manner, if at least on 1st amendment grounds.

Religious organizations use alternative propaganda as a hook to make the case in an alternative manner that skirts the religion.
    That was to equate "a potential life that would eventuality be" with "a life that is".

If enough people can be convinced of that equivalence, then the laws of current people can be applied to future people.
    That effectively manages to wrangle the law into a round-about way of enforcing religious tenants.

You can also see the further extensions of this, such as using the law to deny contraception.

Like when an employee of an establishment that sells contraception, personally invokes religious freedom to refuse to sell contraceptives, and resists an attempt by the establishment to fire them, on grounds of religious discrimination.

That in itself isn't that terrible, since you can just go to a different establishment, but [unrelated] it is pretty nutty when a Jehovah's Witnesses Veterinarian refuses to perform a blood transfusion (Yes, my mom dealt with this).

Also, Obamacare video. "Then and Now".
    http://videosift.com/politics/video/Applying-for-Health-Insurance-Then-and-Now

-scheherazade

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No, that administration designed it to be a tax without actually calling it a tax. LOL

My feeling is that if the Medicaid programs get gutted, then this health care restructuring will eventually fail. All those that are not able to pay their medical bills now, will not be able to pay their deductibles if the Medicaid programs get gutted. Only reason bringing this up is that Medicaid has long been on the block to get it's funding reduced. After all this is supposedly for the 15% that cannot afford insurance.

11. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Those really don't seem to be good poll options. Only choosing between the two extremes.

I really don't see the real reason for being anti abortion as having anything to do with anything other then the killing of an unborn life.

Casual sex that leads to casual abortions is just wrong. It's common sense morality to me.

Then again we live in a modern society where morality is thrown away for personal gratification and justified with weak arguments.

Yeah that **** is ridiculous, but all the protected classes have instances of abusing it.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Common sense morality to you.

Personally, I think I should be able to fvck anyone I want to as much as I want to and then destroy the parasite that might grow over the course of 9 months as a result of such actions but is treatable.

Different standards, what makes your Judeo-Christian moral standard the one I should be forced to follow?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    With you logic we should then kill all elderly, sick, poor and uneducated as they are parasites.

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Yeah, to hell with all those parasites. :bang: I am sure you are glad your mom did not think of you that way. Crap, there I go forcing my Judeo-Christian values again. :infinity:

Getting back to the original topic, it sucks that the OP had his insurance cancelled. :puke2: Hope he is able to get something else that will cover him and his family.

15. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    There is no law denying contraception so I do not know where you get that bull**** from. However, forcing someone else to pay for you stuff just so you can go do what you want is screwed up.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Excuse me, but why are you comparing apples to oranges?

A baby in the mothers womb is a parasite by the direct definition:
    Who are you to enforce upon another human being such an unwelcome growth against their will when there are means to cure it?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You mean like how some religious people pray for a disease to pass instead of getting treatment right away; thus turning a simple and cheaply treated disease into a complicated and costly one; sometimes even deadly.

http://www.masskids.org/index.php?option=com_content&id=161&Itemid=165
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...g-kids-medical-care-should-they-go-to-prison/

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And Sheher is right, it is pretty much only the Bible Belt that is against abortion in the states:

[​IMG]

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    A parasite generally causes direct harm to its host. Not to mention this "parasite" is the same species. Pointless semantics arguing regardless.

Only idiots do that. It's easy to find idiots in any group. That says nothing about the group as a whole. There are many Christians like myself who are fully pro choice before a certain time frame, even though I don't agree with it (outside of cases of rape/genuine accident). What I do agree with is practicing proper sexual practices and not being an idiot in the first place, something that would make this a non issue.

Tl;dr - any group will try to force its values upon the species given the opportunity. Christian lobbies aren't any more of a cancer than Tea Party ones.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Excuse me, but what the hell are "proper sexual practices"?

If me and my girl, who I know is not a carrier of a major sexually transmitted disease and I am not concerned about the other diseases; and she doesn't want to use the pill. Why should I be forced not do have sex without a condom if I am willing to incur the financial risk of an abortion. Who are you to dictate that to me?

Again, you are forcing religious ideals on a secular public; a big no-no.

Also, it is valid to call the growth in the womb a parasite, even by your definition, since it does cause direct harm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complications_of_pregnancy

It's so much easier for a man to be pro-abortion since we will never face this horrible parasite ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.