Gtx480 + gtx295 sli

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MrDre, Aug 30, 2010.

1. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    Hi Guys!

I have a question that needs answering.

At the moment I'm running an Asus GTX295 in my pc. It's a great card but I want to upgrade it. I'm thinking about a GTX480. What I need to know is, (and I admit that I havn't done a lot of research) if I can run a GTX295 and a GTX480 in SLI? The one is a DX11 card and the other is'nt. Would that give any problems? I've never run video cards in SLI before so I'm new to that.

Thanks in advance!

2. Atoll

Atoll Member

GPU:
    GTX 295 Dual PCB w/ bckpl
    No you can't.

In fact there's no point in running both the GTX 480 and GTX 295 on the same computer other than maybe to use one of the GPU's of 295 for Physx and maybe other GPU to run second monitor.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You CANNOT run them together as they are both completely different cards, different memories, etc...

As for the GTX 480, it's very similar to the GTX295, upgrading is pointless at this time.

You will get similar fps. Only major difference the GTX 295 is dx10 and the GTX 480 is dx11, but very few games fully support dx11 as of now.

I say hold on to your GTX 295 until newer gpu's are released...

4. Atoll

Atoll Member

GPU:
    GTX 295 Dual PCB w/ bckpl

I'd say completely the opposite. Upgrading is worth considering because one could sell 295 still for a fairly good price.

As for the FPS, GTX 480 gives much more constant and smoother frames. If there was microstuttering with GTX 295, it's gone with 480. I upgraded and couldn't be happier. Also GTX480 almost doubles the mem amount of 295.

5. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    Thanks guys! I kinda agree with both of you. I guess in terms of FPS, both cards are almost the same. And the dx11 still is'nt that big of deal yet (for me anyway).
    BUT I realised what Atoll said aswell. At this point I'm still able to sell it quite well at a reasonable price. And I'm also not happy about the micro stuttering. I get the feeling that it is a very fast card, but not quite refined enough. I hope that the GTX480 will fix that.
    Ok,so no SLI anyway.