GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Somehow it looks like the 9x0s have quite some amount of compatability issues, and not just with older hardware. Although I don't think they would have changed that much about the cards to make them considerably different than any other nvidia card, namely Keplers. Or did I miss something there? Did they mess around with any PCIe specs or similar?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Cool, looking forward to those!

3. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    That score difference is within a margin of error, could have been a minor background process operating differently or anything. games can run with 99% gpu usage without using 100% power so you can still overclock and gain performance in those games without raising the power limit but in time when you do hit the power limit of 100% your GPU will downclock so you are creating an unneccessary bottleneck.

The power limit doesn't increase the stability of the boost, just the maximum boost, the maximum boosts stability is not related to the power usage of the card either, but rather the voltage and inherent capabilities of specific components on the card as well as of course silicon lottery.

Even just casual gaming with my overclock I often see power limit of 120% reached, if I had the power limit of 100% set it would downclock several hundred mhz or however much it needs to stay under it.

Even at stock clocks I would set the power limit to 125% so the auto boost can go higher if it needs to.

4. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well it turns out the card is fine, I guess when I thought I updated the bios it wasn't successful even though the stupid msi utility thing said it was and I just had to do it manually, now card is working great! So I'm dumb but so is MSI so it's okay. Thanks for the help!

5. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Just installed mine Evga GTX980 SC just tried Dead Rising 3 all i can say is wow :) My 680 was running it on highest settings @ 720 and i could keep 50 - 60fps driving it could dip to the 40s which was very playable.
    I just put it up to 1080 its locked @ 60fps no matter whats on screen no drops will do more tests but it seems to be a good upgrade from a 680.

6. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    It's a pretty amazing turnaround from a few weeks back when no card could get civilized performance in it.

7. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    New Nv drivers improved things a lot. Before I also had 50-60 fps in 720p (with dips to 40), but today I played 15 minutes with the same settings, and constant 60fps

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  8. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800XT
    New club member here.. MSI Vanilla GTX 980.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the reply.

I will leave the Power Limit on 125% then even though I'm not overclocking the card...yet. It is already pre-overclocked though and seems to run at a consistent 1,367 MHz in demanding games and hold at that level, thanks to me using an aggressive fan profile that keeps my temps around 65-70 C at most.

10. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I find that temparature to be a bit high, mine has only gone to 73c during heaven bench with auto fan which maxed out at 70% at those temps, during gaming it is much lower, still with auto fan.

My case has 4 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans though.

11. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    Just took the plunge and ordered an EVGA 980, I can't wait for it to arrive! :roll:

It's not the SC edition so GPU clock is1126MHz, Boost 1216MHz. I'm assuming that there's no difference in terms of what clock speed I can achieve by using an overclocking utility such as AfterBurner compared to getting the SC version?

12. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Man it's so nice to be able to play star citizen at 1440p finally

Maybe, the sc ones should in theory be higher binned chips but who knows. Try and find out :)

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
  14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Any news on a soft-mod?

15. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    My 980 arrives tomorrow
    did anybody do anything special about uninstalling drivers before swapping out the cards?

16. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    No i just uninstalled the drivers turned down pc uninstalled both previous cards slapped this one in (gently) ;) and good to go ;)

17. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You're welcome :D
    Glad to hear the card wasn't DOA. Now post some benchies!

Thanks for reminding me! I should totally get those new drivers downloaded before my cards arrive to maximize time :p

18. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    No i replaced the card booted with 344.11 WHQL Driver then done a clean install of 344.16 all fine.

19. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    @LinkDrive

:banana: good luck when it arrives :nerd:

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080