GTX 670 or ATI 7970 ??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by asimriz, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I think you are right, this thread is in the amd section too and not much action going on in that 1

2. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Well truth be told amd is like a skoda in the car industry runs ok but it ain't no Lamborghini

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you mean Skoda that has won numerous awards all over the world? anyway, easy, hd7970, no contest.

4. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    awards for being best budget, if money is not a issue go with nvidia you will be happy smoother performance of the bat and better driver support

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    still. that's not the point. if amd is skoda, what is nvidia? still, 7970 is the better card here. oh and the better drivers is a myth.

6. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    i have run both cards i can confirm that its just smoother with a gtx card, that's my personal experience

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Only in certain games and depending on drivers.

Stock 680 and stock 7970 it will all depend on game optimizations, and driver optimizations too. Some the 7970 wins some the 680 wins. Overclock the 680 and it will beat stock 7970. Overclock a 7970 and it will destroy the 680 in almost all benchmarks and games (with physX turned off of course). Also the 7970 are much better value for money than 680's as they give more or less the same performance give or take 5-10%. They overclock like crazy, 680's hit their limits pretty quickly unless you have it on water or get VERY lucky with the silicon lottery.

At the moment AMD have the best lineup by quite a way in my opinion. Nvidia look like they are having driver troubles with a lot of people complaining in their forums, a lot more than usual. AMD have the "never settle program" and its working. They outsold Nvidia at the end of last year by quite a bit.

Also to the people saying AMD are in a bad financial situation...? Really? The CPU department is still making money. Their FM series A processors are selling very well as they trample over anything Intel have in this range on price/performance in both graphics and cpu power. And the ATi department of AMD is very profitable, they also look set to have deals with Nintendo, Microsoft, and now Sony for the new consoles. This will bring them MASSIVE amounts of cash.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    A men!

I went from a GTX480 which I overclocked pretty well and performed well too to my 7970 and the difference was massive obviously but the driver support I was worried about and AMD's drivers are great! Everything that I use just works perfectly well. Never had any errors with them (although when I had the 4870x2 it was different story five months of bad drivers that broke my dual card into one card!) Nvidia had their fair share of bad drivers though, some of the betas with my 480 were simply awful whilst others were excellent. Swings and round abouts.

9. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    My gameplay has been really smooth... I also like tooling with this type of ****. Yes nvidia has a built in frame limiter in there drivers here now from what i hear. (I do have to say that is a nice touch) Ok that might make some people say the gameplay is smoother i have msi afterburner makes my games just as smooth. To the guy with the crossfire setup talking about how bad the performance has been latley. Ive had crossfire before and sometimes its great but sometimes it really sucks balls. Especially when you have mid cards then when you lose crossfire you really feel it. In the future i plan to cf again but i will go into it knowing it wont work perfect all the time. Atleast with a 7970 when its not working properly it wont be soo bad. Overall im really happy with my card. You cant really go wrong with nvidia or amd specifically with the two cards you have chose but obviously the 7970 will have more horsepower. p.s no need to post in both forums you will always get awsners from both parties lmao

10. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    CHEEEEEEEEERS everyone !!!!!! Really.. I'm an NVIDIA guy so I was kinda unprepared... Did a lot of online research & then found myself here (obviously). I love this forum as everyone's so fking helpful ! Good, genuine people here...

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I believe most people buy computer hardware based on what provides the most performance for their money. Clearly some people have a brand preference, but that doesn't apply to most, and it is of course based on personal opinion.

I also see the thread starter has had a number of responses in the other thread in the ATI/AMD graphics hardware section, and as it seems they are now interested in purchasing an AMD card, perhaps keep this discussion to that thread.

12. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Well like I said before, I purchased my PNY GTX 670 new for $279.99 USD with two free games valued at about ~$50 each. I've seen no HD 7970 for $279.99 let alone the Ghz edition. In fact this is more like HD 7950 pricing,....

Anyway, my point is that one would be remiss if they don't address price if there is a price difference and for me there was.

I dont think one can go too far wrong with either video card though,..

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    So a 7970 lightning destroys a 680 lightning?

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2

In the UK at least the 7950 is in the same price range as the 660ti, while the 7970 is in the same price range as the 670. I've also seen this trend on some of the US websites, although prices go up and down. You're right though, you'll be cranking the settings up on just about every title with either card.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    overclock both and yes. the 7970 overclocks a lot better than a 680.

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Had a reference 7970 from day one. Very happy with it. The reference design is the best I've ever had, sure it can get loud in heavy gaming but it overclocks well.

17. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    i prefer quality that's all and in my experience from meddling with both sides, i certainly can notice what preforms better,

lets all be honest here, most of you are defending what you have,
    i had both and sold amd for good reasons, and many of my colleagues from work have done the same thing they are all enthusiast gamers,

as for the skoda comment it was a example of speed lmao a skoda is not going to beat a Lamborghini and obviously the quality of parts are not going to be anywhere near it, it seems pretty funny how ignorant some of you are, lets read the sentence again, and get offended really quickly!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Again, this is an opinion. I also have no intention of going out of my way to state my opinion on what graphics card I feel is superior, clearly I have made my choice as evident in my system specifications, listing out my opinions will not change what FPS I get nor will it change how much others enjoy using their hardware. It may however needlessly antagonise others, something I'm not interested in accomplishing. And lets not even talk about ignorance, shall we.

As for what graphics cards perform where, I think the hardware review sites have already decided on that.

19. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Review sites are saying that nvidia feels a lot more smoother regardless of fps so that's what info you go off?

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Again, an opinion not shared by the majority of review sites. And this conversation has now run it's course, as I'm now having to continuously repeat the same thing.

As for what most review sites do agree on, refer to post #11.