Gigabyte releases blower style GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thunk_It likes this.
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Now that looks better than most I've seen, but no idea on the noise it generates.

ivan likes this.
  3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    It's garbage don't touch it!

It's identical to the ASUS 2080Ti Turbo......... it's anything but as it is thermal throttles noise wise people say it's loud but not to the point of other blower cards int he past. However you will need to run at 100%. If i recall it's capt at 60%

BlackZero likes this.
  4. ivan

ivan Guest

If you get bothered by Blower style cards that is.... I'm happy with my Asus 1080TI Turbo and the noise doesn't bother me at all. I have it paired with EVGA 1080ti SC2 which pushes air around and the ASUS one functions as exhaust, keeps my system cool when i mine and when i game i always use noise cancellation headphones anyways. But the noise really isn't that bad, only to those with vagina ears ;)

5. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I also started to like this blower design, My only complain is why there are none with much bigger heatsink - like the ones with 2.5~3 slot design? this would solve the thermal problem, it's like they are made slim for Dual/Quad SLI config like quadros- this is stupid.

6. L1qu1d

L1qu1d Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ult
    Ivan, Dazz's comment was specific to the 2080 ti. Not sure how your 1080 Ti is because I've never read about the Turbo version. In terms of the 2080 ti, it is horrible. I had to return the card because of stutters and I was sometimes getting framerates lower than my 1080 GTX. I paid a little extra and got the EVGA Ultra XC Ultra and never looked back, the card runs cooler and was about as loud. I will say this though, I did prefer the 2 slot over this 3 slot.

I'd recommend stay away.

7. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    I like these blower style cards, but we have to know that because of their loudness their are not for everyone.. but i like to have the heat out off my computer

8. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I, for one, have had better luck with noise levels on the blower-style cards than with the conventional multi-fan setups. For instance, I always owned the blower-style cards from when they originated with the GTX 580, 680s, 780s and 980s (each running SLI). Recently, I upgraded from a quiet blower-style GTX 1080 to a GTX 1080 ti (ACX2) on one of my systems. The noise increase was easily noticeable (but so was the performance!). On another system, I built recently, I added in an RTX 2080 Ti XC Gaming. It's pretty loud at stock settings. That's all there is to it. It makes me want to go back to the blower-style.
    I never had issues with thermals on my blower-style cards, but I've never owned a "Ti" version with the blower-style either.

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Brings back such memories... "affectionately" called the Leaf Blower in 2003. If you are interested in a brief summary, read on...It was cancelled six months after it shipped. Permanently. The video gets a number of things wrong--which is understandable as it was done by someone who was not gaming in 2003 and thus relies on hearsay--which I noted was incorrect in many statements--so take the commentary with a large grain of salt. The real story in 2002/3 was FSAA, which the Radeon did extremely well but which nVidia GPUs couldn't really do at all. nVidia was fond of saying in those days--"We don't care about FSAA, we only care about resolution" *cough*--very funny considering that 1600x1200 sat then where 3840x2160 sat a year or two ago in terms of being able to actually play accelerated 3d games using that resolution. But I figured it might provide a few laughs here...! nVidia was quick to jump on the FSAA bandwagon as soon as it was able to develop a product that could support it to some degree, however.

nV30, reportedly, was the last gasp of 3dfx engineers drafted into nVidia after nVidia bought what was left of 3dfx after the company's bankruptcy. Kind of ironic, too, considering that it was 3dfx, not ATi, who first brought FSAA into the mainstream of 3d gaming--in the Voodoo 5.5k--one of which I owned at the time. But with the R300, ATi (actually ArtX) took the work 3dfx had done with FSAA and dramatically improved it. Those were interesting times--everyone was flying by the seat of his pants and no one really knew where the industry was headed, and things were shaking out with a vengeance. Right after 3dfx made the best 3d GPU product it had ever made, the Voodoo 3, a 2d/3d GPU (had one of those, too), the company crashed and burned because it had unknowingly purchased ~$500M (IIRC) in debts after it purchased its first factory in Mexico from STB, and the 3d GPU market ! STB was able to successfully unload the factory on 3dfx executives who not only bought it, but also agreed to assume any outstanding liabilities on the factory, too...! STB (another failed GPU company from that era) successfully hid the debt until after the sale, but as 3dfx had agreed (foolishly) to assume any other outstanding liabilities not covered in the purchase contract, nothing could be done about it, apparently. Object lesson on why engineers should not themselves purchase manufacturing plants, I guess.

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I really tried but I think you just failed massively in building a ginormous wall of text not explaining anything. I'm sorry ;)

11. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Never had a problem with blower style cards. Quite liked them actually as they actually got the hot air where it was supposed to be - OUTSIDE the damned case. Blowers really came into their own when manufacturers actually took the time to apply the thermal paste etc properly.

Non-blower style cards require a good airflow setup - not always possible, especially if you're going for a very compact build. With blower cards, as long as your sucking in enough cool air, your're golden.

12. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    "Other then these specs and photos, nothing has been shared about availability and pricing."

Surely the headline should be "teases" or "reveals". This isn't a release.

13. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I am personally very glad to see Gigabyte offering this style of cooler. I have the Asus 2080ti Turbo, and so far I am very pleased with it! The single vapor chamber type blower is my preference; I want heat expelled to the outside of my chassis. Noise wise, my opinion is that if I can hear it, that means it is doing what it was designed to do. Additionally, when I am gaming, the blower doesn't create any distraction.

Thank you Hilbert for posting this article.

14. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Me too. But is there any technical reason why blower cards need such a relatively small single fan ? Does cooling become worse if you add another ?

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Less efficient for sure. Blower coolers act like a tunnel... easy to blow the air through. If you introduce another hole in it, even with a second fan, you will get leakage of the hot air you're trying to get out, unless you build a seperate enclosed "channel" for each fan's exhaust air. Or so I think.

16. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    i suppose that the only improve that you can do is to put a bigger blower:

[​IMG]

17. AMDfan

AMDfan Guest

GPU:
    280X
    2080Ti's burn good, with blower style cooling even better and faster.

Tine Turner had a great song; burn baby burn

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol. completely ignoring that there are blower fans and there are blower fans.
    i never had any problems when i swapped any cooler with an arctic blower fan.
    they were silent and cooled better, and usually kinda cool on looks as well (most of the clear housing).

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I buy a blower style card and fit an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III cooler to it.
    Not far off water cooling performance and almost no noise with the fans on max, very cheap to boot.
    And you can often do this at the cards launch, no need to wait for more expensive aftermarket cards with better coolers.

I've done this to an AMD 290x, NVidia 980ti and 1080ti.
    And years before with an 8800GT.