GeForce GTX 980 Ti has 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 27, 2015.

1. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Brand inflation, in my country the cheapest titan x is ~1300€.

This 980ti was more than expected, and here it will be ~1000€ for sure.

2. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Not 100% true.
    I thought about that too when I got my 970 that how much cheaper it will be after 6 months.
    Seems its just 10€ cheaper now than it was at launch.

But yeah it can be different with different products.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Remember this guys:

GeForce GTX 780 GeForce GTX Titan GeForce GTX 780 Ti
    Stream (Shader) Processors 2304 2688 2880
    Core Clock (MHz) 863 836 875
    Shader Clock (MHz) - - -
    Boost Clock 900 876 928
    Memory Clock (effective MHz) 6000 6000 7000
    Memory amount 3072 6144 3072
    Memory Interface 384-bit 384-bit 384-bit

Very probable 980 Ti can own and surpass Titan X based on history for a better price on stock specs. Of course, you get what you pay for so Ti may be reject or nominal spec Titan X. OC is a gamblers game of course.

Lets home AMD brings a monster out at less than 500 USD to make everyone win. :D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    If this is true what purpose does the Titan X fill? It doesn't have double precision anymore and is basically a glorified gamer card.

5. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Maybe nvidia is in a hurry releasing top cards to assure sales at high prices before 390X forces to cut prices.

6. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    it was the same last time with 780Ti and it's Titan equivalent - whilst these will remain outside of my price range I would much rather SLi 2 x 780/780Ti back then and now this equates to SLi of 2 x 980/980Ti - had nothing but joy when using Nvidia SLI - zero problems and great scaling

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If this turns out to be true, when they are released in a few months time, everyone who bought a TitanX will die a little bit inside. I know, I'm still in therapy from Titan1.

8. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    That's exactly what's going on IMO.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I reading that right? same specs as the titan X only half the ram, but it carries more then half the price of titan x?

999 vs 699 $

gpu prices sure are going stupid

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay...I feel like for a high end card 6gb is not enough...? Should it be 8gb maybe?

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Look at all of the people who didn't read HH's "rumor" statement at the beginning...;)

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    nVidia charges what the market will allow, like any other business. The same goes for AMD. AMD now has less than 25% of the discrete GPU market share and they are widely regarded as "second rate" products by the general public whether they deserve the label or not. This is why there is a price gap. AMD is charging as much as consumers will pay for their products, which is quite a bit less than nVidia. If nVidia dropped their prices 20% across all products, they'd really hurt AMD. But much like Intel, nVidia also has a vested interest in AMD staying afloat. They don't want to be the only game in town if AMD were to ever fail

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So what is the point of the GTX Titan X branding here then when the card has gimped double-precision performance anyway? It's little more than an uber-expensive GTX 980 Ti with double the VRAM? /confused

I fully expect this will be true as I (and I'm sure everyone else too) was expecting this. The question is how much will it cost? The GTX 780 Ti was released at the same price as the GTX 780 which dropped in price. I expect the same will happen with the GTX 980 Ti and that it won't be much more expensive than the current GTX 980. Of course, NVIDIA could just add £150 to the price of the GTX 980 and sell the GTX 980 Ti for £600-ish, which in turn would make the GTX Titan X look less overpriced.

NVIDIA make great graphics card without a doubt but their exuberant pricing leaves much to be desired IMO, at least on their higher end cards.

14. koliko

koliko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti
    Well accordingo to info on videocardz site, this card will be released on september ( probably game24 event or later) which makes 6 more months. TitanX is available now with same performance so i dont see anything wrong with pricing..

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The 970 was a cut down of the 980. The Titan is not a cut down of any card apart from the expensive quadro, using a 970 is not the best example tbh.

I wont die inside, if the Ti comes out and its much faster then the Titan will come down in price, ill just buy another TX. Saying that i dont really need another at 1440p but thats a good thing.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Non titanGM200 was bound to happen, Im betting on May-June release date.

6gb check, well I knew that all along, the name not so much.. Full chip seems logical too, maybe they will sell crippled later, if not even better, less milking.

Imo 12gb looks pointless & bragging and since the couldn't implement FP64 they had to make TitanX look "somewhat special" with 12gb. Fail'd attempt. That Titan PCB doesnt look anything HQ either, apparently its GM204 PCB with extra 2 layers on it..

Price wise, well ~600 -700€ for sure. Although 700€ is still too much imo, I rather wait few more months and pay 20-30% less.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Wait for the Titan X Black Edition :nerd:

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Looks like I'm waiting for this card.

19. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The original Titan didn't come down in price when the 780ti was released. I would (as I did with the original) sell the Titan and buy the 980ti.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    In the retail market the MSRP did not drop because Titan's are limited batch. Because of that, they will not drop. Depending on their rarity and value will also reflect their resale price.

The original Titan starts off around the $500 mark used. Titan Black is around $800 or so. Despite any performance setbacks they may or may not have, they will keep some value because of they belong to the Titan family. Collectors items almost.

I look at the Titan series like this. Yes, Titans are usually the fastest single GPU out there. If you get one, most likely you are not worried about money, power, or if you PC can handle it because you have the best money can buy. They are not made to last long as top dog in the performance category, because of two factors being they are limited quantity, and Nvidia will base their next soon to be released GPU on either the same GPU series as the Titan, or a new more efficient architecture. You get a Titan because you want a trophy basically.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015