GeForce GTX 260 OC Causing System Crashes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XWolfGhost, Dec 3, 2008.

1. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    I wasn't sure if this would go here or in the driver section since I think that is what the problem is but I'll just post it here. I recently got a GeForce GTX 260 OC along with a VGA Booster with VGA Booster 400W to power it. I uninstalled the Intel Integrated Graphics and disabled something called a VGA Graphics Adapter. I installed the latest Nvidia Drivers, but my system keeps crashing when I am running with the 260.

I don't think it is a power problem because I could be playing Fallout 3 with settings maxed, no lag, no problems for 3 minutes and it will crash, or I could be just using Firefox and it cuts out after 1 minute. The VGA Booster is designed to like an additional power supply. It takes up a DVD Rom expansion, connects to the motherboard and Main Power Supply, but also uses its own Outlet to power.

The temperature can't be a problem because SpeedFan says I never go above 60C (45-50C in Idle) and everything is cold after the crash happens. The screen goes different colours when it does happen and then everything stops responding(I have tried activating Caps Lock on the keyboard and the light doesn't turn on). I could be in the middle of listening to somebody talk in Fallout3, the screen goes 1 colour, but I can still hear the person talking, or I hear the ambient sounds of the Tech Vault. I still haven't gotten out, how sad is that. The only way I can restart my computer is by pressing the power button. I think I have disabled the graphics in the BIOS as well, it only gives me a choice between PCI or PCIEx first, it is set to PCIEx. This doesn't happen when I connect my monitor to the integrated graphics, which I thought I disabled, as well as tried to un-install. I have looked around and there seems to be a lot of people that have trouble disabling the integrated graphics on a dell. I have tried re-installing the Nvidia drivers a number of times now. The only way I was able to type this long post was by connecting to the integrated graphics by the way... Any help is appreciated.

2. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Who is the maker of the VGA Booster?

3. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    The company is called High Power, or GXT High Power... Either way its High Power =P

Edit- I think that they may be called Sirtec now...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  4. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Do you have the specs on the unit? How many Amps does it provide?

5. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Input current is 8A, Max load is 18A. Then it says something called combined 33.34A and Peak Load 40A

6. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    hmm..that could possible be the issue..GTX260 requires 38Amps

7. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Ah ya just noticed that in the requirements.... I suppose it was stupid of me to assume that if it was 400W, the rest should be good to go =( Is there any store you would recommend to find a PC and Power Cooling power supply for this stupid Dell custom case? There was only Dyntex and Rocketfish supplies at the Futureshop I went to and they didn't seem like they would fit.

8. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    newegg..where are you located?

9. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Southern Ontario, Canada. I wouldn't be able to pick any up at any retail stores?

10. fattysc

fattysc Member

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
    I'm pretty sure that vga adapter you disabled should be enabled. :)

11. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
  12. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    I tried enabling the VGA Adapter again, was able to play for 10 minutes when it cut out. I also checked under the display adapters and it only listed the 260, it only lists the VGA Adapter when I plug the monitor into the Integrated graphics. So ya its probably the lack of enough Amps. Why would I be able to play 10 minutes of a game which would require a lot of power, but then only 1 minute of Firefox at other times, which is pretty much idle...

13. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I am not saying thats its diffinately your P/S, just a possibility. Know anyone who has a power supply with over 38A on the +12v rail to try out in your comp? And I was also wishing you would get other inputs from people here who have more knowledge than I do. What version of video driver are you using and or have tried?

14. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Ah, I have V 180.48 installed at the moment, I have also tried the driver that comes with the card. Something that does confuse me is that the VGA Booster claims to be SLI and Crossfire ready, which you think would require as much or more then the 260, even for an 8800 SLI. Just an assumption though...

15. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I am kinda shooting in the dark now, maybe check IRQ conflict.

GeForce 8800 GTX requires a minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with 12V current rating of 30A)

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    one other thing is to make sure you have got rid of any older drivers. sometimes just uninstalling the old driver from ctrl panel is not enough.

do this reboot into safe mode and use driver sweeper to delete all nvidia graphics drivers. i also check in my hard drives for folders called nvidia and specifically contain graphics files (dont delete any nforce chipset etc :) )

i would use this driver 178.24. what i have learnt is that newer drivers can sometimes cause a system that has been working fine to then start having problems. i am guessing but if your power or overclock is at a tightrope later drivers that are often aimed at pushing out more fps cause more instability. (this statement could be wrong :) )

but as the other guys said that psu does not seem enough. go for one with 4 rails if u can and min 650-750w. (thats what i would do).

corsair, thermaltake tt or antec are good brands.

17. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Not sure what IRQ is.

I tried reinstalling the nVidia drivers after using the Driver Sweeper program, I used the drivers that came on the CD(older then the one you listed). Just to make sure, the VGA Adapter is supposed to be enabled or disabled?

Its hard to believe that the lack of two Amps is causing this much trouble...and the fact that my power doesn't have enough power =| The only problem I was having with a regular PSU is that Dell is stupid and custom makes their cases, so most of them wont fit(I guess that means I am stupid for buying a Dell) The recommended company is called PC Power and Cooling, so I guess I'll go there and see what kinds they have. At least it should help reduce some of the clutter of cords inside my computer without the VGA. So is it better to get one with more rails or a powerful single rail? I am looking at the PSUs now and pretty much all of them are "powerful single rail" or "massive single rail".

Something I have noticed, I am able to play for a good 10-15 minutes after my computer has been shutdown for at least an hour or so, but after the 10-15 minutes it crashes after about 3 minutes of playing. I'm guessing that a good amount of power is used for cooling, so when the card heats up, it uses more power, then when it can't get the power to cool itself, it shuts down. But still...just two Amps short, and with the peek load being 40 Amps.

Edit- I'm thinking of getting this one http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014329&cid=PS.808

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  18. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    To check IRQ go to START then to RUN, type in MSINFO32 and press enter. Follow path as shown in picture below. Just verify that your GTX is on its own IRQ and not sharing with onboard video. That P/S will work, just wish you could try a P/S before going out and buying one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  19. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    My 260 is under the same IRQs as yours, but there is also something called PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge and Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937. I also don't have any of those extra nVidia IRQs along with a whole bunch of things called Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System.

I would try and borrow a PSU from a friend, but I have lost touch with the ones I used to play games with in the last little while. Plus they all had pretty bad systems, we only used to play random maps on Warcraft 3. So I doubt they would have a good enough PSU

20. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I have all the extra Nvida listings because I am using a Nvidia chipset and I bet you are on a Intel chipset.