Gaming benchmarks: GTX 780 and GTX 970 tested in 2018

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Artas1984, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Artas1984

Artas1984 Guest

Greetings once more! Time for another video card battle!

How do GTX 780 and GTX 970 hold up in modern games? Is it possible to max out the most demanding games at 1080p? Is 3 GB VRAM enough these days?

Find out in this latest benchmark, where 25 games have been tested:

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Not bad at all. 3-4gb vram really is essential in today's games. My previous 770 2gb was starting to hold me back which is why I upgraded last year.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah when I looking at gaming Laptops for a reasonable price I was looking for a laptop with decent Vram and found one with a GTX 1060 6Gb and picked it up.

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    My son is happy playing Fortnite on a i7 920, 12 gig, GTX960 @ 1080 holds 60fps.... Be surprised what you can get out of old gen.

Passus likes this.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The 560 Ti that I gave to a friend many years ago is still running inside said friend's PC. He plays quite a few modern games with that thing :eek:

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    The 560 Ti was one of Nvidia's best bang for your buck cards ever.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ yep, I had the 448 core version for quite some time, very good! Even ran 2 in SLI for a bit.

jbscotchman likes this.
  8. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ditto & SLI too, I still have them packed away with some other stuff.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I sold my set some time ago. Was worried they wouldn't sell because quite outdated and different brand cards.

On the contrary, didn't even take too long to sell them and for a fair price too.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Gaming with my GTX970 on 1440p@96hz. Solid stable 96fps is possible with high/medium video settings.

Can't understand why people bother with G-sync :D

11. Artas1984

Artas1984 Guest

What's funny, that while i had GTX 770, GTX 670 2GB and GTX 670 4 GB video cards and tested those it in games where clearly 2 GB VRAM was not enough, the 2 GB cards suffered no less FPS penalty than the 4 GB card, even though games like Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Rainbow Six Siege clearly were showing that they need over 3 GB of VRAM for 1080p max settings. Looking at HW Monitor i noticed that in case of 2 GB cards, just more main RAM was being utilized and even more than RAM the paging file virtual memory was being utilized. However, i think this depends on game optimization, because in the newest Wolfenstein the main RAM and paging file virtual memory does not help if you lack VRAM.

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Good work.

This whole VRAM thing is going a bit nuts these days.

Generally speaking, you don't need more than 3 GB at 1080p for maximum visual fidelity, it's just developers tagging on much higher resolution textures for those running higher screen resolutions. I mean, anyone having VRAM issues at 1080p with a 3 GB card can adjust game texture settings to appropriate levels, and change texture filtering settings to high quality from the driver's control panel. At that point, there will be no noticeable difference from the much higher texture quality settings.

Technically, a 3 GB card should be able to maintain 60 FPS with anything up to 3.5 GB required graphics memory, because the additional 400 MB in system ram can be addressed perfectly fine through the PCI-E bandwidth. I mean, you'll only going need to call for 200 MB on average at any given moment in time, and that will allow 60 FPS with an 8 GB/s PCI-E interface.

Having said, 3 GB is already too high for 1080p, and you're getting a lot of Placebo beyond 2 GB. Being realistic, though, game designers have to start adding higher quality textures, we just need to use a little common sense to see where higher resolution textures are simply not needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2019
  13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Input lag :p

yasamoka likes this.
  14. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Still running 970 SLI on a QHD monitor. I can't max out every new game, but dropping a few settings to High usually gives me plenty of headroom for a consistent 60fps.

It's been shown many times that there's a big gap between how much VRAM a game needs, and how much it will use if you have it. I think it was COD Ghosts that only needed 1-1.5 GB, but it would use all 6GB on a Titan if you were running one. Obviously games are using more RAM now, but the inflation did get a little crazy.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I used my 970 for YEARS before finally tossing in a 1070 just for that extra 120hz + 120FPS goodness. It's more than adequate for everything except the most demanding modern titles.

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Wolfenstein uses 5 GB at 1080p and 6 GB at 4K. Consoles also happen to use between 5 and 6 GB of a single shared pool of ram.

There's definitely nothing suspicious happening there. :rolleyes:

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    the 560ti was no bang for buck card when it was released, it was expensive as hell, i would say the best bang for buck card is the 760 or 750ti, that was bang for buck card

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i still play 144 fps in bf4 and cs go, but yes 1070 will give u more fps in modern titles