G3D 2012 Christmas/holiday brews thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by John, Nov 15, 2012.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You cheeky bastard, I had to google that! It's almost me in a nutshell. Like just now!

Brilliant. :D

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Just bought a bottle of MacDuff 21 year old cask strength single malt.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Some Porto Wine. Vinho do Porto.

[​IMG]

Let us drink until we have no emotions!

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Finally got something festive :D

[​IMG]

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ah, Otter, nice.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yay, postman just delivered these. I'm ready for December!

[​IMG]

7. aircool

GPU:
    Good man, building that collection up lol.

Does look tasty looking at the review, sounds a bit savory too which is nice for a speyside.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    try it mate, it's really something else when compared to your standard Speyside. really rich and smooth. beautiful stuff. I think I'll always keep at least a bottle of this in my collection, while trying the others. I gave the Laphroaig quarter cask away, managed to get through 1/8 of it and decided it was not for me, no way.

9. aircool

GPU:
    If you dont mind me asking what put you off the QC?

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    the smoke. just couldn't enjoy it. tried it neat, with a drop of water and with more water. just couldn't stomach it. Don't think Islay is for me. yet.

11. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I love the smoke. If you are not into smoke then look at Dalmore. Very smooth. I've tried 12 and 18.

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Haha, my sister, who pretty much only drinks red wine and boring pale lagers, loves Laphroaig!

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not a fan of Laphroaig myself either, saying that i only ever tried it once, still finished the whole bottle though.

Just been informed Lidl of all places are selling a 33 year old Maxwell Single Malt which is apparently top notch and only £40, don't know much about it but might pick it up for Christmas.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-experts-calling-single-malt-reason-live.html

will have to find out more about maxwell me thinks.

EDIT: Jim Murray's review of the Maxwell 33 YO, looks like I'll have to buy a bottle.

Jim Murray's full review -

Nose: (24.5) rarely does exotic fruit come quite so exotic! The oak is pulling out every trick in the book to underscore its great age with an aroma as softly enveloping as it has any right to be. Those who remember fruit salad candy will also seduced by this one. As well rounded as any malt you'll find this year and probably as labyrinthine, too. And, just to prove it, a few peat notes escape from their fruity clutches to add weight and depth, the intensity increasing as the temperature and oxidisation increases.

Taste: (24) all the fruits registered on the nose are present and correct, but it is the spices which momentarily take the breath away. A fabulous mouth feel alternating between crisp and mouth-watering - aided and abetted by some staccato Demerara sugar notes - and always no less than feather-pillow soft. The mid ground starts allowing the oak to show some intense vanilla and that lazy smoke to gain a foothold, a more solid one with each mouthful;

Finish: (22.5) dry and sophisticated, the fruit is now spent and a slight tang reminds us of the great age here. A light, delicate fade with the peat withdrawing surprisingly early on;

Balance: (24) Last year Lidl unearthed a couple of stunning whiskies to be sold at an improbably economic price to the consumer. They have done it again for Christmas 2012 with a malt destined to be another collectors' item. At times towards the end the age is apparent. But no less so is a malt which has on the nose and delivery a marriage between oak and barley matured in heaven. A very softly smoked, delightfully fruity gem.

These are already selling on ebay for £90+ and there's only 5200 bottles being made... I need me some of this! Also, looks like most Lidls sold out almost immediately :(

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Haha, the order went through!

[​IMG]

Berentsens Brygghus Stelliger Divum: Doppelbock, 19% ABV. Ah yes, the MIGHTY and mysterious Stelliger Divum! Ratebeer says it's a doppelbock, but no one really knows what particular style this beer really is, or how they managed to get it up to 19% ABV with masking the alcohol so well. FInally I will get to try this beer which has been on my list for 2 years. Woho!

I also got many bottles of other awesome Christmas brews that came in this week on my standing order at my local Vinmonopolet. Will pick them up next week when I get some money! Good times. :D

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Looks great, the most i've tried was 13% but it was barely a beer so well done if they have managed to mask the alcohol well.

Unfortunately i never had any success with the 33 year old Maxwell, sure i will find something else for Xmas day at the in-laws though.

17. aircool

GPU:
    Order something decent online?

Was eye-ing up some Laphroaig Quarter Cask for £25 in Tesco's that or im getting something online me thinks.

Another xmas brew haul today.

18. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Seriosuly, 0,7l of Laphroaig Quarter Cask for £25? Damn, that's ridiculously cheap!

19. aircool

GPU:
    Yeah its insanely cheap even over here :D

Only downside is I feel it will be a bit similar to what i've already had although thats not a bad thing, I just feel the need to try something else.

Just opened my first beer from todays haul:

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask @ 7.4% ABV and its definitely different!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/innis-gunn-rum-cask/80407/

Quite enjoyable but a bit sweet compared to what I usually drink.

20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hot damn, looks like I might have to get myself some contacts in the UK for Laphroaig then. That's just ridiculously cheap.

I've only tried one beer from Innis, but I can't remember which one it was. It had an extremely strong taste of vanilla that I didn't like.

Gonna be drinking a 0,75l bottle of Bocq Gauloise Christmas (what I call a family bottle...). Got two of these, so..