Fullscreen combined with dual monitor causing huge stuttering

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Morini, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Morini

Morini Member

GPU:
    6900XT 16GB
    A while back I posted this thread https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/freezing-stuttering-on-6900xt.439138/

TLDR I swapped my GPU to a 6900XT and started getting huge lag spikes with audio popping when playing games, and event tracing pointed towards dxgkrnl.sys causing whopping 27k usec DPC latency spikes.

After using the card for some time and testing more games, and countless settings and setups, I can replicate the issue very consistently.

If I have only my main monitor which is a 1440P 144hz (165hz overclock) ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ connected with a Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3- cable, the issue is nonexistent. I get absolutely no lag spikes playing in fullscreen or windowed mode, and not in any game I've tested so far.

If I plug in my second monitor, which is an old Asus VE247 1080p 60hz connected via HDMI, the lag spikes still do not happen if I play in windowed/borderless mode on the main monitor.

But if I try to play in fullscreen on the main monitor, with the second monitor attached, the lag spikes start immediately happening, and the frequency changes depending on what game I'm playing. Whether the second monitor is on the desktop or playing a video for example, doesn't matter. Tracing always shows the same ~27k usec spike by dxgkrnl.sys regardless of what game I'm playing.

Changing around resolutions or refresh rates does nothing. The only way to get rid of the issue completely, is to use a single monitor or different GPU. I've tried a few different older GPUs (GTX970/1060/1070ti) and they perform fine. I can't get my hands on a GPU as or close to as powerful as the 6900XT though. I tried locking the PCI-E to 3.0 for the 6900XT, but it didn't help.

Most people who have offered their 2 cents seem to think this is caused by a faulty CPU. I'm not knowledgeable enough to deny that couldn't be, but to me it seems weird how this issue is specifically tied to using multiple monitors with this particular GPU, and locking the PCI-E to 3.0 doesn't help at all.

I've basically exhausted my options of this being nothing else but a hardware problem. But the problem is, how do I know if it's the GPU causing the issue? I don't really have the budget to start swapping around components on a system I built 6 months ago, and I can't really start RMAing different parts as I need to have a working system, and I don't want to pay the fees by the retailer if they find no problems in their testing.

Any suggestions? Should I just bite the bullet and RMA the GPU and see what the retailer has to say, and in the worst case pay 70€ of testing fees + mailing?

I feel bad for spamming forums and posts with this issue, but this is a very expensive card, and I really don't want to settle with workarounds like plugging off my other monitor while gaming.

Thanks in advance!

PC specs:
    MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
    Ryzen 5 5600X
    32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600Mhz
    PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT
    Western Digital 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD
    Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    27k dpcs = bus issue

there are 3 factors of the bus

cpu - motherboard - gpu

is the sn750 also on the cpu?

3. Morini

Morini Member

GPU:
    6900XT 16GB
    My motherboard has 2 m.2 slots, 1 on the cpu lanes, 1 on the chipset. I've tried it in both and the issue persisted.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  4. Morini

Morini Member

GPU:
    6900XT 16GB
    Here's a clip of it happening, probably obvious what it looks like but... https://streamable.com/4imxka
    EDIT: also, when this happened I could hear my GPU fans spin down for a split second

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    make sure you have the lastest drivers for chipset, gpu and audio and the latest BIOS. Use DDU for gpu drivers.

Uninstall any nvme drivers or software and just run the windows default drivers. this actually helped a lot of people. Also make sure you don't have AMD Sata driver installed, its old and can sometimes get installed. It doesn't work well with AM4 boards and can cause issues.

try and fix your windows install using DISM, and SFC in powershell and reboot.

Use MorePowerTools and disable all the DS_ features using your a GPU bios dump with GPUZ.

Set a min clock speed to your 6900XT something like 2300-2400MHz and test again.

disable any apps you have running in the background in the taskbar too.

Check for conflicting IRQs too, disconnect USB devices and only keep keyboard and mouse attached.

wipe BIOS with a clear cmos and try running everything at default settings, including RAM. Try 1 stick of RAM at a time and in different slots too.

test drives (hdd, sdd, nvme) with diskmark and make sure they are running at their rated speeds.

You have probably tried these already but maybe you overlooked some of them. Could help, 27k DPC is huge.

Also, don't feel bad dude, this is what these type of forums are here for.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Have you tried running both screens at 60hz.

7. Morini

Morini Member

GPU:
    6900XT 16GB
    Appreciate the suggestions, I've tried most of them except MPT as I'm not familiar with the program. I'll look into it and see if it helps.

8. Morini

Morini Member

GPU:
    6900XT 16GB
    Update: Just tried the 6900XT on my mates PC with my PCs PSU, same freezes happening. Going to try with his smaller wattage PSU to see if the problem persists.

Edit: After trying the card with my old 650W Corsair PSU, the same freezes happen even when the GPU load is around 50W and junction temp @ 45C while playing osu!. Is it finally time to RMA the card? :p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes, you have isolated the fault to the card.

10. Chez

Chez Guest

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Did you try to switch DP + HDMI cable between both screens? Did you try 2x DP or another alternative cable?

I had quite similar problems with 2x Displayport, but it did not matter if fullscreen or borderless, there was an annoying stuttering like 1 frame, but also audio stuttered so i had to change that by switch from DP to HDMI on my 2nd. I had 144hz both DP and it did not work properly, now i got 144hz DP / 60hz HDMI and it somehow works now. No stutters or anything.