Freesync goes out of sync (desyncronization between refresh rate and framerate)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fixide, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I see, I'll pay more attention to see if there's any tearing for me since I don't have an OSD with FPS display, though I really haven't noticed any difference since CF FreeSync support came out in the first place.

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I can't help but wonder...could the problem actually stem from the driver 'misread/miscount' the frames due to overlay(s)?
    Have you guys tried running the game without Steam overlay and any other overlays (like RTSS or Fraps) and see if there's any less tearing?

3. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I don't think overlays can run at different FPS compared to the game, though I'm not sure. I generally have at least Steam and MSI AB overlays.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well obviously the final (composited; games + overlay) frame output for display on the monitor would have a single frame rate, but if the driver calculates desired refresh rate on a per-app basis, it could be confused which output it should calculate from.
    I mean, there has to be a reason when some problematic games require turning off Steam or Origin overlay as a workaround for them to run properly.

Still, it won't hurt to at least check.
    Just turn off any overlay and see if the tearing is still as severe or not.

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    That's not what I'm saying, I think when the game decides to draw a frame, that's intercepted by the overlay program's hook, it draws its own thing on top of the game's finished frame, then it returns to the normal program flow. Basically, I don't think there is any FPS for the overlay itself, if I'm not wrong the overlay exists as injected code in the game's process, so there is only a single 3D fullscreen process, the game.

Issues with overlays happen because of the overlay hooking into the game itself and somehow interfering with the engine. I don't know specifics. Same goes for using multiple overlays, or overlays and ReShade/ENB/SweetFX/etc. They're not always compatible with each other.

Still, because overlays can definitely mess with games, I suppose they could also interfere with whatever the driver does to detect FPS for FreeSync, though there don't seem to be any issues on my system.

6. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    Same problem with 16.4.1...

7. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    I would never think that, but I begin to regret freesync respect to gsync ... :(.

For a good 144 without freesync there were screens cheaper!.

I wonder if the fact that the scaler is the choice of display manufacturer makes things more difficult for AMD, whereas the gsync scaller is provided by Nvidia.

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, FreeSync works in respect of the (relatively old) DisplayPort 1.2a spec that is Adaptive Sync.
    If the monitor is supposed to support FreeSync then it should've gone through proper certification test(s).

And you've said it yourself that it worked fine with a previous driver version so there's that.
    How is it the monitor's fault if they didn't change anything from when you bought it while the only thing that's changed is the VGA driver version?

9. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I've now run into this issue as well, on W8.1 with 16.2.1. FreeSync does not work at all in DX11 titles (tried Vermintide and GTA5), but it does work on W10 16.3.2. There's no doubt about it, the difference is night and day between FS on and off. I don't think there are any desyncs on W10/16.3.2, it looks flawless there.

10. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Always a lot of desyncs on my side... And the asus counter help to notice them. It's just not normal that has screen switche to 89Hz when fps are under...

11. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
  12. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Nothing another month after on 16.4.2 ...

13. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
  14. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm curious. What version of Windows is everyone running when experiencing the desync? How about FPS limiters, using anything like that?

I'm dual booting 8.1 and 10 and I've noticed that 8.1 is much more prone to desyncs than 10 and drivers newer than 16.2.1 seem to be somewhat unstable for me on 8.1 too (games freezing). The W10 driver performs much better though and is more stable.

Then there's FPS limiters. Obviously, if FPS is over the FS interval it won't work. I've been using RTSS and FRTC to keep FPS locked to 59 on my system as this generally ensures both that FS works and a smooth frame time, but on different driver versions different configurations are needed for RTSS or FRTC or both at the same time or FS breaks.

15. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    7900XTX OC
    I'm on win10, with the new driver the DX12 Freesync is working but only for RoTTR and AoTS, it isn't working with Hitman as I believe it's due to the absent of the Exclusive Fullscreen.

Under my very brief observation the DX12 desync problem is far less often than DX11 e.g. on The Division it desync every 2~3s, and on DX12 games if you keep moving / under benchmark it only desync occasionally.

16. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    I'm on win10 too. With 15.12 everything worked without the need to activate the frame limiter...

With 16.4.2 there are desynch whatever the setting.

I do not think it is the frame rate which move above freesync range. How to explain a game that runs at average of 40-50 would suddenly over 143 fps?
    With a screen with a Range of 35-90, frame limit set to 50 for testing: There still same désyncs at 89, even though the frame rate never exceeds 50.

I have not tested on DX12 games but clearly the issue is different depending on the game.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  17. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    What are you using to limit FPS? For instance if I use RTSS it sometimes breaks FS completely. FRTC on W10 seems to work pretty well however.

18. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    I'm using FRTC.

19. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    I tested the vulkan driver, same thing. When the fps drops to much, freesync break and the refresh rate goes "out of sync" all the way up to the screen limit, without applying the *2.5 rules.

20. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    I do not know why AMD does not hear us. Reddit, guru, amd forum, reports bugs, videos ... and even a small response indicating that the problem is being tested.