Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by racofer, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    hahaha, that's how I felt about ME2... I liked the first one though

2. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    ^This^

Mass Effect 2 wasn't as memorable because of its poor story. Forming a group of badass' and helping them with the problems so a successful suicide mission can be launched is not a good story. You can use the argument that it's the second of the trilogy and it's not supposed to explain much but that is bull****. Movies that are part of a trilogy all have their part in progressing the story and some of the sequels stand alone for having a good story. Back to the future and the original Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back comes to mind (NOT the prequel Star Wars, those were sh!t). My theory to why Mass Effect 2 wasn't as good as the first is because Bioware has EA breathing down their neck to release the game at a too early time. That's why the Mass Effect 2's story isn't as memorable as Mass Effect 1, it felt like there were too many subplots and not a main story. And judging from the demo of Dragon Age 2 it looks like it was rushed too, although I could be wrong. I just hope that Mass Effect 3 doesn't show the same signs.

Wow, way off topic in the Skyrim thread. My bad.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I agree. But I mainly hated because the took the coolest part of the game out. The driving around on planets was awesome. How in the f*ck could they think that boring mineral scanner thing would be cooler is beyond me. Oh, and the armor or lack there of. What stupid decisions. It was a huge step backwards to me.

4. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    whoooo

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i thought the Lore of Oblivion had plenty of depth. lots of books ingame to read, much of its story is within its atosphere.

actually, i don't see this part working out too well as likely they wont react to your physical behavior during these convo's. like will they keep talking when you walk away and go upstairs? i liked the Oblvion way of talking

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Mod or die.

IMO that sums up Bethesda games. Oblivion isn't half as good without FCOM, and FO3 needs Marts mutant mod.

7. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    No way of knowing. It doesn't sound hard though to make a distance trigger for a conversation ender line, e.g. you go upstairs, the bartender stops his current line and says "Oh, farewell then."

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, I found out from Oblivion that Elder Scrolls games require mods to be any sense of the word "enjoyable"

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    not only oblivion, but that was a game, that really needed user patching to make it good..

10. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Think of it this way: If it was hard to find out whether an NPC has a line of sight to the player, how would deathmatch games against bots work? ;)

11. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Hopefully they continue to allow their games to be modded. I am hopping that out of the box the game is solid, and mods will add that much more enjoyment to it. From what I have read and seen the game should be light years more immersive than oblivion. The animation allone has me sold! Hopefully it performs good.

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, that needed a huge update, the animations in oblivion ruined the experience for me..

13. ravageuk

ravageuk Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580 SLI
    i cant effing wait for this game!

14. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    From what i've seen in that "gameplay" (cinematic) video that came out a few days ago. I dunno... I mean, they're still using the same thing as before (Havok Animation, Havok Behaviour its for designing animations i think) and one guy of the Beth forums spotted a little worrysome detail. The wolf that the hunter was going to kill had nice animations but it was floating.

So i think that the issue it isnt the animations, animations can be perfect, the issue is that they do not blend with the environment. And i really hope that they deal with that. A lot of games implement things so the npcs dont clip with static objects, i didnt saw that from skyrim trailer (wolf floats, lady on the fence clips her hands, etc). It would be awesome that Ubisoft made a middleware from the animation system of Assassin's Creed. I really liked it.

That and soft particles. FX can be very awesome if they DONT CLIP, FXs that clip are horrible. And from what i've seen, the water and FXs do clip with statics objects. I think one of the first games with soft particles that i've seen was CoD4. And it worked well. Smoke and all were just sprites, but they felt a lot more real with the clipping sorted out. You can have the most perfect scenario, but if a single FX clips (water, sand, smoke, lights, spells, etc) it remembers you that its a 3D environment. FX spirtes are one of the oldest things you can have on a game, at least do something to make them look better. I dont care if you have some volumetric smoke in a few places if the rest of the sprite based FXs clips all over the place...

Im still getting it. Oblivion had tons of flaws. And i loved it (without mods actually, installed OOO and didnt reach level 15 i think). Loved FO3 (and loved NV too, sadly beth isnt going to learn anything from it) Skyrim probably will have a lot of flaws too, and it will be awesome anyway.

15. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Oscuro's isn't for everybody. It makes the game take a really long time, but I grew up on more difficult games than are generally out today.

However, it does get a lot easier as you start to acquire items since it pushes them all to max level (or maybe that was something else in FCOM). It really annoyed the hell out of me to have to wait till level 30-35 to run any quests in order to get proper loot. An amulet with 6 versus 12 absorb magicka is a big difference.

Then there's the fact that at about level 35 the loot all disappeared from chests/regular monsters in vanilla. The only place to get it was high level npc's at that point.

16. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Its not that i didnt like it cuz it was hard. Actually, it was really fun with my thief characters, there wer TONS of new things to steal, so you could roleplay more. And those new factions (putrid hand, slavers, amazons, etc) were pretty insteresting. Besides, you could edit the leveling speed and all that. I kinda like the beggining cuz, if you play a thief, you depend on what you steal, instead of just rocking some random dungeon and selling enchanted items.

I said that i never had a character with high level on OOOs, but i didnt said that i played only one character. Actually started again several times. The first levels were the most interesting ones to me.

But just that i got bored of oblivion already. Played it a lot, did that, been there. Thats why i said that it didnt need mods for me to play it. And i played it so much that when there was good mods like OOO (i really like the idea of expand already existent mechanics rather than change them) i grew bored of the game.

BTW, u r totally right there with leveling stuff. At least they got it better with FO3, hopefully, Skyrim will be even better in that aspect, on the other hand, it could serve as new "experimenting" ground for new gameplay mechanics like those, like they did with oblivion. In that case, Skyrim will be great and FO4 will be awesome lol

17. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah the floating character issue really ruins the overall feeling..i hope this won't repeat in this new tittle (with a new engine).

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That along with ''time stops'' thing while having a dialogue with an NPC...

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i hope they fix the issue of everyone automatically knowing your a murderer and all regular shop owners not buying your stolen good, like they would know in this medieval style time era.
    Not really into this northern, winterish landscape, aweful lot of pine trees, i prefer the lush summer look that most of Oblivions map had. Considering how bad this winter's been in my area, i'm sick to death of seeing snow.

but being a new engine, like most all new engines, i suspect there will be quite a few bugs, probably more than Oblivion.

20. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    you are right about that I hope they fix that as well it was like the inhabitants of Oblivion all had twitter or something!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.