Download inSpectre

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    My thoughts too. Unless I see reports by AV security firms that actual malware had been made to exploit these vulnerabilities and is spreading, not in hurry to do anything about it. But, wondering what sort of form such malware may likely be? A program that can detect browser activity and copy anything in memory if certain keywords (ie, bank) detected in URL of visited site? Seems that any such program would have a monumental task of passing basic AV security in first place. Just wild guess. So what sort of form, program, script, etc, would something have to be to exploit these vulnerabilities?

TheDeeGee likes this.
  2. DeathCoreLeo

DeathCoreLeo Guest

GPU:
    gtx1070
    Good job, like up

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes I've read about the issues too, it's just that I couldn't imagine that when Intel knows about this bug for such a long time, some call it one of the biggest hardware flaws of PC history, and yet after half a year there are no updates ready and at hand to be installed that just work.
    On the other hand, Master, I thought you'd advise me to embrace the anger...

Of course they're trying to get you to upgrade but that plan is rather stupid, since they have no hardware that's not affected by what we are trying to get patches / updates against here. Even AMD has some vulnerabilities, so there actually is no CPU around right now that would improve the situation to a completely safe state. Why should I buy new hardware if it's just as bugged as what we have right now?

jaggerwild likes this.
  4. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    On that you are right, i am upgrading, to Zen+. Gj intel

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    May I ask, would you have upgraded to Intel if this Meltdown / Spectre thing wouldn't have come up? (It was around without us knowing for decades anyway.)

6. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I would have, maybe not on this rush. I was supposed to upgrade to Ryzen, but thought my 2600k is working just great. And before even this Meltdown / Spectre came up, i was teasing myself with Zen+.

But obviously, i´ll wait until it´s really out, and a proper review ( Pointing at someone) ;)

Edit: I did read abit wrong your post, but no, not to Intel, if Zen+ is good, but if prize meets performance, i´m not excluding Intel. But so far, mentally i´m fixed on Zen+

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    My Z170 PRO GAMING is on the Asus list but nothing out yet.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I suspect that WHEA errors could be read without HFINFO:
    Run Event Viewer, locate log "Applications and Services Logs => Microsoft => Windows => Kernel-WHEA". There are two views there "Errors" and "Operational".

9. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Same board and awaiting BIOS update.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This makes me wonder about CPUs from the 3rd CPU company of the 1990s which is Cyrix I wonder if their CPUs are effected by these vulnerabilities or at one of them being Spectre.

11. razerhabu

razerhabu Guest

GPU:
    sapphire r9 290x
    Update windows insiders Preview Build 17074 is good protection
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    tested with latest bios for Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 ... i'm good :)

13. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    yup im waiting this too

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Funny thing is, i tried this program the other day before the W10 1709 update was out, and i only vulnerable to one of the two, but now that i am on 1709 i am now vulnerable to both. lol

jaggerwild, 321Boom and airbud7 like this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But last update for 1709 x64 was at 3 November - KB4056892. Yesterday MS issued for 1709 only update for x86.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Maybe i read it wrong, might have been a update for something else, but whatever that update was i am now open to both. lol

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Actually in event viewer at the top of the tree the default under 'Custom settings' (which is an odd name for something Windows 10 does by default) which shows 'Administrative Events' which includes WHEA events. What I was trying to get at with Agent-01 is that for those who get the WHEA error, rolling back the Windows patch or editing the relevant bits in the registry to disable some aspects of the MS patch resolves them. So, is it the BIOS or the Windows patch that is causing the issue? I personally do not get these errors with a 'fully patched' system. Meaning with the BIOS update from EVGA and the patches from MS.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was assuming that new microcode for CPU was the cause for WHEA errors (for some CPUs).

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So I downloaded this program, ran it, safe against Meltdown, vulvernable to Spectre, so far as expected.
    Then again, where does that regard to the performance loss come from? Can't imagine that program runs any benchmarks... I guess it's just according to M$ press release that there "should be no significant performance loss" on certain systems?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It just checks whether CPU has so called "PCID" feature (Process Context ID) and if has not then it states performance loss. MS PowerShell script does that too but phrases it differently.