Control

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah i didnt notice you can change it. It was dx12 only.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Be adding DX9 next :p

AsiJu and Undying like this.
  3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I need to get back to this game fast, since there are no fps sp campaigns coming, i need to get immersed in a good singleplayer game

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im surprised you didnt finish it yet.

ramthegamer likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I for one still need to finish the DLCs.

Btw it seems nowadays DLSS in Control is way better than it used to be (around Steam release).
    I have no idea what changed or when, as I don't think the Steam release has been patched prior to that DX11 update, but DLSS looks very good now.

I'm running DLSS@720p with 1080p screen resolution - with RT reflections and transparent reflections - all other settings at their max except volumetric light at medium and keeping almost a locked 90 fps (cap at 90).

(Basically same performance as RT off, DLSS off).

7. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Finished the game on PS5 and going into DLCs now. I must say, that having the DualSense features and 3D sound really adds to the enjoyment. Pulling the trigger on the different weapon forms, feeling Jesse’s steps and so on is pretty cool. Used performance mode for that smooth 60fps. RT at 30fps is just .. wrong..

I wasn’t really into the game from what I’ve seen on videos, but I’m glad that I decided to try it. The Oldest House is and interesting setting. The story is bit “out there” and was hit or miss for me, but the gameplay was what carries the game from start to finish. Remedy’s best work since Max Payne IMO.

jbscotchman and ramthegamer like this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, Remedy entered into a publishing deal with Epic shortly after Control was out.

Makes me sad. But, I get them needing the extra funding so they can stay completely independent.

BUT, be careful about any news for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is April 1st, and idiocy is bound to crop up in various places.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT

pharma and AsiJu like this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep, once again when a game is created gameplay first and true to a strong creative vision, the end result is excellent.
    Superb visuals are just a byproduct!

Btw I really, really loved that roulette puzzle and the one in Hadron chamber.
    They needed actual focus and thought and there never were magic markers or highlights pointing out to correct solutions.

If there's one thing I want from next Remedy game it's more of those kind of puzzles because they were so well executed.

Control didn't immediately wow me like previous Remedy games perhaps did, but the more I played it, the more I started seeing how darn well it's made.

IMO Control is definitely Remedy's finest creation to date.
    Feels like the first game where Remedy went "full Remedy" without holding back (or being held back) and having the technical and creative expertise to create something brilliant.

Darn, I should probably make a video of my own about this :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    pharma likes this.
  13. It's also Remedy's game with the worst gameplay and definitely the worst bosses. Unimaginative, boring gameplay and gunplay. Without those awesome visuals and physics, the game would be total rubbish. It's very nice tech demo, but really terrible game.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I've enjoyed it. Its not the best remedy game but far from rubbish. Gunplay was amazing tho maybe you just suck at it. :p

AsiJu likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Control's combat has depth to it, you need to think a bit.

All weapons and abilities serve a purpose and most mods are useful too (though the game would work just as well without mods but they do add a bit of variety).

Player control (lol xd pun!) is snappy and fluid, shooting has good feedback to it, hitboxes are near perfect requiring you to really aim.
    Abilities must be comboed with weapons, trying to use just either won't work in the long run.
    Example: melee or telekinesis armor, kill with weapon.

This definitely ain't shotgun go boom and you win.

Story is very enjoyable if you like this kind of mind-fudge scifi thingy.
    Characters are written and acted well I think, knowing this isn't supposed to be a Tolstoi novella in the first place.

Just as a whole Remedy's most comprehensive effort I think.

To shortly compare - and know I really like all of the below, MP in particular:

Max Payne:
    instant classic which says it all, but shows its age and revolves around one mechanic ultimately that was a novelty at the time.

MP 2:
    basically the same game with better graphics and new story.
    Which isn't a bad thing but somehow this was very "cookie cutter".

Alan Wake:
    A fresh take on 3rd person shooter, great story and setting, solid gameplay but combat didn't ultimately compare to MP and overstays its welcome a bit.
    Who knows what kind of masterpiece this could have been with more time and money.

Quantum Break:
    I find this one a bit hard to summarize.
    I liked it a lot but the TV episodes thing was really weird and while I liked combat in QB it was really pretty standard 3rd person shooter stuff plus a few abilities.

Could be called a prototype for Control.

Control:
    Remedy took everything they did well before, added some new things equally well and clearly stuck to what they wanted to make.
    Sticking to your guns will likely make your creation divisive as well but that's a testament to your achievement.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    XenthorX, ramthegamer and Undying like this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Agreed on asiju's general concensus of what remedy offered lately, and yes is kind of to me hit and miss in some aspects, add to that, game looks extremely pleasing with those rtx reflections, wish i have a top end rtx card to see em on my screen, i can t say if it s a reasonable effort to justify turning it on, but it definitely adds much more needed reflections to every scene as the game without rtx looks flat many times as i noticed....

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its a one of those games raytracing is worth it. I'd recommend this to anyone having an rtx card.

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Totally agree regarding the combat having depth, i find it extremely satisfying.
    AI is challenging enough, you clearly have to adapt your strategy to your opponent but can still remain creative, there's not one strategy beats all.

AsiJu likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Or higher end RX6000 card, I have RT enabled too and game runs fine.
    Reflections, transp. reflections and contact shadows.
    Upscaled from 768p getting between 80 ... 120 fps (=layman's DLSS).
    If my target were 60 I could run native 1080p at least if I disable RT contact shadows.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Undying likes this.
  20. I already wrote it here a few times. Combat is based on throwing stuff. Mechanic, that is part of pretty much every physics tech demo out there. You don't even have to aim, just grab and throw... wow, what a game! Difficulty is artificially increased only by very high damage output of enemy attacks, ridiculous health management and terrible checkpoint system. It's just a tech demo, which at some point made it to game production.